Pcv Oil Catch Can Kit Recommendations

I've read recently about the benefits of adding a PCV Oil Catch Can kit to the PCV system and I think that this is really good modification. The hard part of this upgrade is deciding which kit will best meet my needs, since there seems to be 100's of these kits on the market and they range is price from $20 to more than $500.

Many of these higher priced kits are boosted engines and would probably be over-kill for my naturally aspirated 5.3L V8 engine. I would like to have a way to visually look at the catch can to know how much oil is in it, so I can empty when needed. I also believe these catch cans should have some kind of screen or condensing element to help condense the oil into droplet form, but also not something that is so fine that it could become clogged over time. Therefore another desirable feature would be the ability to clean the screen or element to prevent clogging.

Anyone have any recommedations? Thanks.

My set up on my 2011 Link . Was about 25$ total with the home depot Husky in line filter and 2 feet of fuel line hose from autozone.

Dave, I saw your thread earlier and the setup looks good. How much oil are you trapping with this setup over what period of time? One concern I have with these air-compressor oil separators is with the very fine filter element they use. I'm concerned that they become plugged by the oil/combustion byproducts over time and if this happens it could possibly cause a more serious problem with the engine. I don't know for sure that could happen, but I have noticed that some of the aftermarket Oil Catch Cans have a much courser screen or SS wire mesh to condense the oil with.

I put it on my truck when it had about 800 miles, changed the oil at 1500 miles and emptied the can and it was about 1/4 full. I now have 1750 miles on the truck and the can is about a little less then 1/4 full again. The filter element is a cintered brass type and it works very well. I don't see blockage becoming an issue and if it would get dirty its easy to see with the transparent can. Also the filter is removable and cleanable but with the whole filter set up only being around 12$ i would probably just buy a new one instead of cleaning it but thats up to you. All catch can set ups are basically the same, i just couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars on an aluminum can with a Brillo pad in it. If you would go with my set up i would recommend checking it every 1000 miles or so which only involves opening the hood and eye balling the transparent canister.

Does this apply to all cars any brand?

Most modern vehicles can benefit from this modification and I believe some actually come with something of this nature from the factory. My 54 GMC truck has an engine draft tube to vent engine gases and when the engine is running you can actually see a small exhaust stream coming out of it along with an occasional drop of motor oil. :lol:

This just illustrates that the automotive manufacturing industry have known about this issue for way more than 50 years.

Most modern vehicles can benefit from this modification and I believe some actually come with something of this nature from the factory. My 54 GMC truck has an engine draft tube to vent engine gases and when the engine is running you can actually see a small exhaust stream coming out of it along with an occasional drop of motor oil. :lol:

This just illustrates that the automotive manufacturing industry have known about this issue for way more than 50 years.

But just asked the dealer technician and he said the new models GMT900 does not have a PCV!..

But just asked the dealer technician and he said the new models GMT900 does not have a PCV!..

It has a PCV, just not one you can change. All engines have to have a way to vent the crank case pressure.

Most modern vehicles can benefit from this modification and I believe some actually come with something of this nature from the factory. My 54 GMC truck has an engine draft tube to vent engine gases and when the engine is running you can actually see a small exhaust stream coming out of it along with an occasional drop of motor oil. :)

It has a PCV, just not one you can change. All engines have to have a way to vent the crank case pressure.

So we can say the catch can mod does not apply to GMT900!

Most modern vehicles can benefit from this modification and I believe some actually come with something of this nature from the factory. My 54 GMC truck has an engine draft tube to vent engine gases and when the engine is running you can actually see a small exhaust stream coming out of it along with an occasional drop of motor oil. :)

The GMT900 has the same PCV set up since 2004 when they went to a fixed orifice PCV that is built into the valve cover and is not removable. Unless they have changed something in the last year. They still must have a way to vent the crank case pressure, EPA says it can't go to the atmosphere so it has to go into the intake and be burned with combustion.

There is a pipe coming from the rear of the driver side valve cover and going to the center of the intake. Crank case pressure is vented through this tube into the intake along with some oil vapor. The catch can is spliced into the tube to filter off the oil so it doesn't get to the intake.

Now if I remember correctly, the 8.1 had a passage under the intake to vent the pressure and you couldn't get to it, but they don't make them any more.

013.jpg

The GMT900 has the same PCV set up since 2004 when they went to a fixed orifice PCV that is built into the valve cover and is not removable. Unless they have changed something in the last year. They still must have a way to vent the crank case pressure, EPA says it can't go to the atmosphere so it has to go into the intake and be burned with combustion.

There is a pipe coming from the rear of the driver side valve cover and going to the center of the intake. Crank case pressure is vented through this tube into the intake along with some oil vapor. The catch can is spliced into the tube to filter off the oil so it doesn't get to the intake.

Now if I remember correctly, the 8.1 had a passage under the intake to vent the pressure and you couldn't get to it, but they don't make them any more.

013.jpg

Okay!, I am ready to order one for my 2008 GMT900, which one you recommend?

No wonder why some cars exhaust is more black than others since new...

Archived