My Fix On My Silverado Electrical Problem

There is at least one recall for the electrical systems. I have been having the same problem. I'm frustrated because the recall came up only after I asked myself why they hadn't recalled the electrical systems:

2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO RECALL - #08V441000

RECALL FOR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

GM IS RECALLING 857,735 MY 2006-2008 BUICK LUCERNE; CADILLAC
DTS; HUMMER H2; MY 2007-2008 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE
EXT; CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO,
SUBURBAN, TAHOE; GMC ACADIA, SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL, SATURN OUTLOOK;
AND MY 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HEATED WIPER WASHER
FLUID SYSTEM. A SHORT CIRCUIT ON THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE
WASHER FLUID HEATER MAY OVERHEAT THE CONTROL-CIRCUIT GROUND WIRE.

There is at least one recall for the electrical systems. I have been having the same problem. I'm frustrated because the recall came up only after I asked myself why they hadn't recalled the electrical systems:

2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO RECALL - #08V441000

RECALL FOR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

GM IS RECALLING 857,735 MY 2006-2008 BUICK LUCERNE; CADILLAC

DTS; HUMMER H2; MY 2007-2008 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE

EXT; CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO,

SUBURBAN, TAHOE; GMC ACADIA, SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL, SATURN OUTLOOK;

AND MY 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HEATED WIPER WASHER

FLUID SYSTEM. A SHORT CIRCUIT ON THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE

WASHER FLUID HEATER MAY OVERHEAT THE CONTROL-CIRCUIT GROUND WIRE.

That has been out since June of 2010?

My '07 did the EXACT same thing as you are describing. But then it would stop for a while. GM techs never did fix it and I traded it off with the problem still occurring. Interesting discovery! Well done!

• 2 months later...

I have read and read about this. I have a 2007 4.3 V6 new body style silverado. It does what I call 'glitching'. The lights for airbag, check engine, tire pressure, etc will flash on and off. The gauges will flip back and forth. The engine seems to die for a millisecond and come back on. The #1 way for me to trigger the 'possesion' was to use turn signals, and to get gauges to go nuts, use the hazard lights. Truck would go nuts. Then I get to where I was going. Turn the truck off and it would not start. Nothing at all, no noise etc. I'd pop the hood, wiggle the negative battery cable, and I could start the truck. This went on for some time. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

I finally cleaned the ground wire that is connected to the frame (behind bumper) and yes it is a small gauged wire. But I cleaned it and re-attached. Couple weeks later. I really cannot start the truck at all. Nothing when I turn the key to start the engine. Checked starter electrical power with multimeter, no issues, battery is brand new, no issues. Had it towed. ECM was fried. Replaced ECM. This was 1 week ago. Now the truck is starting to 'glitch' again. So mad right now. I'm going to replace the ground wires tomorrow once and for all. I will let poeple know what happens.

There isnt a ton of info out there about this issue but it is happening to a lot of people. This blog post has the most information. Lets keep it going for the sake of everyone's insanity in dealing with this issue.

• Like 1

Just curious but was wondering if you did The Big 3 Upgrade if it would help. Certainly couldn't hurt. I know this was done on a Ford but same concept for our GM products.

Yes. Mine would have various electrical outs and a few service engine soon lights with no codes. it was intermittent and I did the big three upgrade and she has not complained since....

here is my setup:

http://www.jrrod2004.com/silverado/bigthreeupgrade.html

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up to my orginal reply. I was still having issues after replacing the ECM. I took it back to my mechanic and had a good chat about the issue. He says that the frames get sprayed with a duracoat like substance and it prevents a good ground connection. He grinded off the 'duracoat' on all frame grounds (not sure how many but there are a few) and then we replaced the negative battery cable with a thicker gauged wire. He didn't think we need to replace the ground wire but I insisted.

Its been about 3 week now with no issues. Fingers are crossed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado and all my electrical things in it shut off while driving, my locks go on and off sometimes and right now it will not start? I'm 18 years old and I bought the truck 7 months ago. How do I fix what's wrong with it

Start by having the battery load tested and also having the charging system looked at. Check battery cable connections and the cables themselves

Good start here. It is amazing how just a weak ground wire can cause all kinds of issues. Make sure all grounds are good and tight and corrosion free.

• 6 months later...

I'm unsure what kind of pics everybody wants to see. Basicly I took two 4 gauge cables and ran them seperate (one to the frame and the other to the alt) from the battery. Very simple. Only difference is I used 4 gauge cable on the frame cable and I know my connections are bulletproof considering I installed them.. I took some pics but the cable itself is wireloomed to look more OEM. The actual cable is the same size as the wireloom itself.I couldn't get a precise pic of the framerail connection(too dark), but its pretty straightforward. This fix is actually easy with just having the right cable/connections and a little time. In my opinion it was worth every second without having to doubt whether I will encounter the same problems I have been for the past year. However it's a shame I couldn't get GM to fix this under the 3 year warranty.... http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/mad.gif

TruckWiring003.jpg

TruckWiring002.jpg

TruckWiring005.jpg

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Been having battery drain issues with my 04 sierra 5.3 for 2 years now and can't find a solution. Changed out the BCM, no luck. Have sold the truck to my mom, but want to figure this issue out before I give it to her. Can you tell me where you got that battery terminal?? Looking to replace my ground harness and make my own, but can't seem to find one like yours.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was experiencing a common electrical issue with my 2007 Sierra 1500 Denali.  Intermittently all electrical would short out and all dashboard electrical would flash and navigation/radio would turn off then on.  Also, truck would occasional not start.  No power, completely dead.  I would wiggle battery cable connection and truck would start right up.  I had a mechanic re-solder a new battery connection on positive cable and no issuers for last 20K miles.  Hope this helps someone.