132 replies to this topic

#121 DaveH71

DaveH71

Technician

• 696 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Drives:2011 Sierra 6.2L

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Cool set up, nice job. I usually check mine about every 500 miles. So far i've been getting about .25 - .5 ounces of oil everytime i check it.

#122 Silverado_Monkey

Silverado_Monkey

Enthusiast

• 399 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hey guys so I just checked my oil level today and I was a little low, so I figured I'd top it off. I pulled off the fill top and was suprised to find a tan'ish almost rusty film on the inside part of of the cap. With that I filled it up and and decided to I'd check the catch can. The catch can was full of this tan'sh goo, it looked like a chocolate/vanilla mixed milk shake. I've always just had regular looking oil in there since I installed the can. You guys have any ideas? Could it just be the fact that it's winter and the hot and cold cycles is turning the oil like this? Or could this be the start of a bigger problem? I don;t think it's Anti-freeze, and besides my AF overflow is at a normal level. Unfortunately I do alot of short trip these days, and I tend to warm the truck up for at least 15 min in the morning before dropping off the kids at school. So it idles for a while, I drive for 5-10 min, shut it off, and start it back up and drive home... Maybe this is causing my "milkshake"? But why would the oil vapor be backing up the filler neck?.

BTW - I check the hoses, everything seems the be connected as usual to the crankcase orifice, catch can, and at the top on the intake...

Thanks guys! Let me know if you have any ideas, or have experienced something similar!

B :thumbs:

Edited by Silverado_Monkey, 23 February 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

#123 Silverado_Monkey

Silverado_Monkey

Enthusiast

• 399 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

So it looks like its climate related sludge build up from having the oil vapor mix with water vapor and condense. The catch can is catching most of it, but some is making it way up the filler neck and depositing on the underside of the filler cap.... Glad that crap isnt making it into my intake....

Here's a link to an Audi forum that talks about the sludge. Take a look at the pics, that;s what I pulled out of my catch can,,,,

http://www.audizine..../405387-pcv-fix

You guys may want to check your cans more often if you do alot of driving.,,, I'll try to post up some pics of the sludge I pulled out.

Later B :thumbs:

Edited by Silverado_Monkey, 24 February 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

#124 DaveH71

DaveH71

Technician

• 696 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just a little update on this. Mine has been on for about a year now and its doing a great job of keeping things clean. I took mine apart today to clean out all of the sludge from the moisture that sits in there. Might be a good idea for the rest of you guys to take yours apart and clean out the gunk. The bottum of mine was starting to gunk up and it wouldnt let the oil drain properly.

#125 Hawkeye-08

Hawkeye-08

Enthusiast

• 613 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

I got an email from Jeg's today, advertising catch cans... it reminded me that I had not gotten back to installing mine. I need to do it one of these days. They had instructions that I grabbed so I can remember what hose to work on... :thumbs:

For those that don't have a oil catch can and want one, Jeg's has some...

http://www.jegs.com/...407462/10002/-1

Scroll down to the bottom of the GM section for the 6.0L engine... Instructions are linked there...

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4WD CCSB 6.0/6sp 3.73

#126 DaveH71

DaveH71

Technician

• 696 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's a cool little set up from jegs, i really like that. Moroso always makes the coolest stuff.

#127 Jennabear

Jennabear

Senior Enthusiast

• Supporting Vendor
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Got ours from catchcans.com.
Posted Image
Some show and quite a bit of go...contact us for Performance Tuning and Parts!

#128 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,666 posts
  • Name:Daryl
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Got ours from catchcans.com.

Jenna, do they have a removable filter in them for cleaning?

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

2006 Silverado Z71 - 233,000 Miles and Counting...

#129 Jennabear

Jennabear

Senior Enthusiast

• Supporting Vendor
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Dunno, never took them apart to check!  Our vehicles don't get many miles on them, so we will check them at oil change time.

Posted Image
Some show and quite a bit of go...contact us for Performance Tuning and Parts!

#130 DaveH71

DaveH71

Technician

• 696 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Most come with some form of stainless mesh like a pot scrubber. The AMW can has a little snap ring you remove and you can take out the mesh and clean it or replace it if you like.

#131 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,666 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I was wanting to get one from where Jenna posted, but if there's no way to clean it out I guess it's kind of pointless.

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

#132 DaveH71

DaveH71

Technician

• 696 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

The one jenna posted uses a brillo pad type filter, instead of the stainless mesh the AMW uses. You can clean both, AMW uses a snap ring to hold it in, Jennas post uses a screw on cap. Both can be cleaned or replaced with ease.

Here is the one jenna posted

caninternals.jpg

Edited by DaveH71, 22 April 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#133 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,666 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

The one jenna posted uses a brillo pad type filter, instead of the stainless mesh the AMW uses. You can clean both, AMW uses a snap ring to hold it in, Jennas post uses a screw on cap. Both can be cleaned or replaced with ease.

Here is the one jenna posted

caninternals.jpg

I wonder how often those brillo pad type filters would have to be replaced? Doesn't look like a bad kit though. Thanks for finding that info for me.

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users