Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire Location

I installed a navigation system in my truck over the weekend but am having a bit of a problem. While I am going down the road, it appears on the navigation screen as if I am driving backwards. By this I mean rather than the point of the triangle is facing the opposite direction than what I am going. I think it also kind of messes up the display of the map with things on the opposite side or something. I am going to do some more experimenting around this week to see if I can pinpoint what exactly the problem is. Everything else with the system as far as XM, sound quality, Bluetooth, and voice control seems to be working properly.

The only problem I had with the install which I do think I got correct was the location and tapping of the VSS wire in the driver's side footwell. Can someone please tell me the correct wire color and location of this wire just to make sure I tapped the right wire? I was told it was the green wire with the white tracers in one of the big connectors in the junction box in the drivers side footwell. Can someone verify this?

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying that the VSS wire is either purple with a white tracer or green with a black tracer and NOT green with a white tracer? I am just trying to make double sure before I go tapping the wrong wire again. I appreciate the help.

They must have changed the color in the 2010's. I did have a green with white tracer in one of the large connectors in the juction box which I did tap. This wire however was in the adjacent connector to the one the instructions I have said it would be in. It will be a day or so before I have the opportunity to look for the wires redvett mentioned above.

Update:

In case anyone needs the information in the future. The VSS wire needed for the navigation system in my 2010 Silverado was the green wire with a white tracer in the junction panel in the driver's footwell. Apparently my tap didn't make a good connection which was causing my problems.

Yes, it would be best to solder and I considered it, but it's tricky just fishing the right wire out of the loom far enough to apply the connector, let alone cut, wrap, and solder everything. If applied correctly with enough force, the splice connector is fine for this low voltage sensor wire.

^Agreed

I solder every now and then and am fairly comfortable with it, but in this location would have been extremely difficult. I figure there's no real consequence if the splice comes loose since the only thing that would happen would be the pointer on the navigation screen not displaying correctly. If that ever happens, I know exactly what the problem is and can fix it in 2 minutes.

Archived