Fuel Tank Capacity

RPO Codes beginning with the letter N

NA4

NP1

NP5

NT9

Anybody know what size can I have? New to me truck (04 2500 HD 6.0) gives a low fuel light and only holds 20 Gallons.

Otherwise the DIC says you got very few miles to empty.

My thoughts are that a 22 gallon can is awful small for a 6.0 HD truck. But this seems consistent with the fuel gauge and the DIC.

Am I gonna have to carry a 5 gallon can and pull a Cosmo Kramer just to see how low I can go?

NA4 - 8600 emissions

NP1 - Electric transfer case

NP5 - steering leather wrapped

NT9 - ??

Look for N23 - 22 gallon tank, or N03 - 36 gallon tank

Also, you can run your Vin thru this website and it should tell you too.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Edited by Stevens11

RPO Codes beginning with the letter N

NA4

NP1

NP5

NT9

Anybody know what size can I have? New to me truck (04 2500 HD 6.0) gives a low fuel light and only holds 20 Gallons.

Otherwise the DIC says you got very few miles to empty.

My thoughts are that a 22 gallon can is awful small for a 6.0 HD truck. But this seems consistent with the fuel gauge and the DIC.

Am I gonna have to carry a 5 gallon can and pull a Cosmo Kramer just to see how low I can go?

assuming your truck is a standard bed(6.5'), then your fuel capacity is 26gal, long bed is 34gal....

there have been isues with the fuel sending unit showing less fuel in the tank than was actually there.....

yes, the tanks are on the small side to be sure...

That's what I like about this site!

There is no RPO that describes my fuel tank. All specs alldata etc says it oughter be 26 Gallons. (Yes I am Crew Cab Short bed).

I guess Cosmo Kramer here I come. I am going to drive around with my low fuel light on until it quits.

Yeah I know I am gonna be sorry too... gonna suck up all the water and goo in the can and maybe even overheat the fuel pump.

Hopefully I will just run out of gas though.

That's what I like about this site!

There is no RPO that describes my fuel tank. All specs alldata etc says it oughter be 26 Gallons. (Yes I am Crew Cab Short bed).

I guess Cosmo Kramer here I come. I am going to drive around with my low fuel light on until it quits.

Yeah I know I am gonna be sorry too... gonna suck up all the water and goo in the can and maybe even overheat the fuel pump.

Hopefully I will just run out of gas though.

Do what I did; I went to Transfer Flow and had them take out that 26 gal. tank and had them put in a 45 gal. tank. I'm quite the happy camper now. I can quite comfortably go over 600 miles on a tank.

Be prepared to replace your fuel pump

+1 Why do you need to run it till it quits? Thats just asking to burn a fuel pump up.

• 2 years later...

curious...VIN decoder indicates I have a 34 gallon tank in 08 2500HD Crew/Long truck....but I have never been able to get more than 20 gallons in at near-empty.

My 08 CC dually is the same. When the dic stops showing miles to empty it only takes 24-25 gal. to fill.

Mark