Air Pressure

AllenH

It's going to be between 35-40 PSI.

What's the actual size as printed on the sidewall? And look at your door sticker, what the front and rear GAWR?

:confused:

Usually whats printed on the door is what you want to run... Its the recommended tire pressure for the stock tires based on weight, rims, load. So if your running stock wheels and stock tire size, thats most likely the tire pressure you should run unless you have special circumstances.

My truck came with 35" Toyo Open Country M/T tires. Can anyone tell me how much air pressure I should be running in them? It's a 2011 reg cab Sierra.

It's going to be between 35-40 PSI.

What's the actual size as printed on the sidewall? And look at your door sticker, what the front and rear GAWR?

:confused:

Usually whats printed on the door is what you want to run... Its the recommended tire pressure for the stock tires based on weight, rims, load. So if your running stock wheels and stock tire size, thats most likely the tire pressure you should run unless you have special circumstances.

somebodyyyyy didn't read the OP's original post :cheers: ... i have no useful input to the subject, just wanted to stir the pot :help:

These are not the stock tires and rims but were installed by the dealer along with a 3" lift. The tires are 35x12.5x18. Just was wondering if this made a difference on what pressure to run instead of what is printed on the door for the original stock tires.

The first thing you need to do is look in the door and see what type of tire your truck came with from the factory. If is has a “P” that stands for passenger car tire if it had an “LT” that stands for Light Truck. P265/70R17 or LT26570R17.

Your tire pressure for a “P” rated tire is lower that an “LT” so you will need to run more pressure for the LT or you will be running the tire in an Under Pressure condition, not good. You need to be around 50 to 65 PSI for a “LT” tire.

If you want to know why our 1500’s come with “P” rated tires, it’s for fuel mileage and ride comfort.

50 to 65 PSI is going to be way too much for that tire.

FYI, here are the load capacities for the 35x12.5x18 Toyo MT (these are published via the North American Tire & Rim Association):

35 PSI = 2335 lb

40 PSI = 2530 lb

45 PSI = 2735 lb

50 PSI = 2910 lb

55 PSI = 3115 lb

60 PSI = 3295 lb

The common stock tires for a 1500 series truck (P265/70/17) at the recommended PSI of 35 have a load capacity of 2400 lb.

So, to match the load capacity of the stock tires, you should run 35-40 PSI.

I recommend bumping the pressure up to 50-55 when towing/hauling... not that the extra load is "needed", but it helps prevent sway. For daily driving, anywhere in the 35-40 range should be perfect.

Lot's of good info here if you want to learn how to figure out proper tires pressures: http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/loadinflationtable.pdf

Archived