Factory Bose Vs. Non-bose? 2011 Trucks

Been looking for some factory sound system upgrade advise on some forums and sites like Crutchfield. Seems there are options for both Bose and none-Bose factory systems.

Not sure on the 2010's on down, but 2011 GMC Extended Cabs with Power Tech (Silverado with All American Package) option and others that came with the "UUI" factory head unit (USB port, CD, etc) are reffered to as "Bose sound" on GM's site, even the ones without the $500 Bose Speaker option.

Sorry, but in my opinion, that factory "Bose" unit is giving Bose a bad name....I think the sound is awful.

So when looking for some options to upgrade the sound, are people referring to the UUI head unit as "Bose sound" or is it "Bose" only if you have the Bose speakers?

Thanks

Been looking for some factory sound system upgrade advise on some forums and sites like Crutchfield. Seems there are options for both Bose and none-Bose factory systems.

Not sure on the 2010's on down, but 2011 GMC Extended Cabs with Power Tech (Silverado with All American Package) option and others that came with the "UUI" factory head unit (USB port, CD, etc) are reffered to as "Bose sound" on GM's site, even the ones without the $500 Bose Speaker option.

Sorry, but in my opinion, that factory "Bose" unit is giving Bose a bad name....I think the sound is awful.

So when looking for some options to upgrade the sound, are people referring to the UUI head unit as "Bose sound" or is it "Bose" only if you have the Bose speakers?

Thanks

Maybe I've been out of the loop to long, but I've always been impressed with the bose system in my trucks. I had it in my 07 and now my 11. Both have sounded wonderful imo. :thumbs:

[Maybe I've been out of the loop to long, but I've always been impressed with the bose system in my trucks. I had it in my 07 and now my 11. Both have sounded wonderful imo. :thumbs:

Steven, I see you have an SLT so your truck would have the true "Bose" system (Bose speakers too). I'll bet that does sound great! I'm hoping to upgrade mine (SLE) to something like you have.

I have what I think is called a "Bose" head unit on the GMC web-site, but Bose is not mentioned in the print catalog. My question has to do with just the head unit. Is it considered "Bose" by the aftermarket people.

Someone correct me if I wrong, but what we call a "radio" is just a mini computer. It's in the programming.

Example.

I owned a 2003 LS and the CD player when out on it. Dealer replaced the HU... but as I was driving away, I noticed the sound quality sucked, It wasn't as loud as it should be, or once was, and I was missing most of the pre-set equalizer setups. I turned the truck around, and the dealer promptly took the truck in the back and allowed me to go with it. The programmer told me the programming wasn't setup right and he would need to re-program my radio. Once completed, All the things I was missing along with the sound quality was back to the way it was suppose to be.

I don't know if the HU's are truly different in a Bose equipped pickup or not. Yes the speakers are different and there's an amp for the subwoofer. I'd think you could add/swap those things easy enough and see if the quality is there or not afterwards. Just thinking out loud.

To answer the last part, you have the BOSE system if your speakers have the BOSE logo on them.

Now to answer the first part (because the answer is longer,) the head unit is not what's giving BOSE the bad name, it's their equipment in general. Ask anyone who really, and I mean REALLY UNDERSTANDS audio. BOSE sucks.

There is a huge difference between your typical BOSE speaker for the reproduction of sound. The main difference is the size of the cones and magnets that are used to create the vibrations that are the sound, as well as the materials that the speakers are made of.

I used to drive an Escalade that was HEAVILY touted by the dealer as having one of the best sound systems available. I am an audiophile at heart, and, let me tell you, the system SUCKED. I will never respect BOSE again.

Do yourself a favor and do some research, it's just not good. Spend a few hundred bucks for a decent head unit and some different speakers and you will be much, MUCH happier.

Archived