Is There Any Way To Tighten The Shifter?

ok i searched, but didnt know what to search for because nothing came up or "gear selector" or anything like that.

Anyway, my problem is that the gear shifter on my 2001 silverado has A LOT of play in it, like its just kinda sloppy feeling while pulling it back to shift gears and just wiggles around a lot. the shifter it self is not loose, its obviously a wire or cable or something. the shifters in my other trucks feel like new when you shift gears, no play oat all

now before i tear it all apart, is there anything i should be careful of, or is there an easy adjustment?

I could be wrong.....

but the adjuster is on the transmission side of the cable.

This I know to be fact:

the shifter is connected to a cable, that cable runs down to the transmission. it attaches to the transmission on the driver's side. I would start by inspecting the end at the transmission, which is much easier to access (just crawl under the truck). Grab it, wiggle it, look for any adjusters.

I could be wrong.....

but the adjuster is on the transmission side of the cable.

This I know to be fact:

the shifter is connected to a cable, that cable runs down to the transmission. it attaches to the transmission on the driver's side. I would start by inspecting the end at the transmission, which is much easier to access (just crawl under the truck). Grab it, wiggle it, look for any adjusters.

ok thanks. its been raining for days here and hopefully tommorow it stops and i can start to play around.

ok i searched, but didnt know what to search for because nothing came up or "gear selector" or anything like that.

Anyway, my problem is that the gear shifter on my 2001 silverado has A LOT of play in it, like its just kinda sloppy feeling while pulling it back to shift gears and just wiggles around a lot. the shifter it self is not loose, its obviously a wire or cable or something. the shifters in my other trucks feel like new when you shift gears, no play oat all

now before i tear it all apart, is there anything i should be careful of, or is there an easy adjustment?

I would be willing to bet its not the cable, but the shifter assembly loose. There is a torx bolt on the shifter handle. Check that. Also take the upper and lower steering column trim panels off and inspect the shifter mechanism on the column. I have seen those get sloppy and loose. Nothing in the cable is going to give you that feeling. If the cable was loose it would not shift into the correct gear corresponding with the prndl on the cluster.

If this was a manual transmission shifter with a solid rod linkage to the transmission, the problem would most likely be worn out shifter bushings. I had this happen on my Mazda. Two of the bushings were so worn out that they fell out and there was a lot of slop in the linkage.

Some vehicles with auto transmission also utilize shifter bushing, which, when worn will cause shifter to feel sloppy and loose.

• 6 months later...

Have the same problem. Looked inside the rubber boot on the column by the shifter and looks like a broken spring. Has anyone had this problem?

Archived