5 Year 100,000 Drive Train Warranty

Hello all, I have a 2006 Silverado w/ ~ 51,600 miles at present. this past week the tranny dropped out :) iwas leaving the parking lot from work i started to accelerate, felt like i got hit from the back! seemed to have lost Drive 3rd , 2nd, went into 1st limped over to another area, checked to see if i had dropped anything underneath / all looked ok!

my Question is ,Does GM go by the build date or the purchase date, I am the second owner, I purchased from a private owner when the truck had 19000 on it.

Trying to find out if i am covered b 4 i bring it in to GM, they are quoteing me 3100 for replacement remanf. tranny.

any advice would greatly be appricated, Thank you.

All waranties are based on date in service...your dealer can provide that date if you call them with the VIN. It does not matter if you are original owner. The only thing that can affect this if your truck was ever considered a salvage unit, and the dealer can also check that

Hello all, I have a 2006 Silverado w/ ~ 51,600 miles at present. this past week the tranny dropped out :) iwas leaving the parking lot from work i started to accelerate, felt like i got hit from the back! seemed to have lost Drive 3rd , 2nd, went into 1st limped over to another area, checked to see if i had dropped anything underneath / all looked ok!

my Question is ,Does GM go by the build date or the purchase date, I am the second owner, I purchased from a private owner when the truck had 19000 on it.

Trying to find out if i am covered b 4 i bring it in to GM, they are quoteing me 3100 for replacement remanf. tranny.

Warranty should have started the day it was sold to the first owner. Not the manufacture date.

Sometimes the vehicles sit on lots for a long time.

All 2006 trucks have only 3 year/36k mile warranty. No separate powertrain warranty. Your transmission will not be covered under warranty, unless somehow GM relents and admits that transmission failure at 56 k miles is premature, but I doubt they will do it. Maybe if your truck had less than 36k miles they might.

Even if some dealer had a brand new 2006 left over truck on his lot and somebody bought it today, they would still get only 3 year/36k miles warranty with it.

BTW, I also have a 2006 Silverado and your transmission failure at 56k miles does not inspire much confidence in this truck. Do you know if the previous neighbor towed very heavy loads with the truck? My neighbor did that with his '04 1500 Z71 and destroyed the transmission at 35k miles.

Warranty should have started the day it was sold to the first owner. Not the manufacture date.

Not only that, but it also takes into account how many miles are on the truck when purchased, so technically if you bought a truck at the dealership that's actually at another dealership 100 miles away, they take those delivery miles into account when setting up the warranty information (i.e. 100,100 vice right at 100,000)

Thank you all, I think i got it, the 5 year 100000, did not start till 07, that makes sense, the premature failure , and GM helping out, thats a long shot.

Thank you all again.

Not only that, but it also takes into account how many miles are on the truck when purchased, so technically if you bought a truck at the dealership that's actually at another dealership 100 miles away, they take those delivery miles into account when setting up the warranty information (i.e. 100,100 vice right at 100,000)

That 100,000 mile warranty saved me a lot of money when the 4l70 broke in my 2007 V-Max. GM stands behind their warranty, bad thing about the 100,000 mile warranty was the tuning on the GMT-900 trucks though.

That 100,000 mile warranty saved me a lot of money when the 4l70 broke in my 2007 V-Max. GM stands behind their warranty, bad thing about the 100,000 mile warranty was the tuning on the GMT-900 trucks though.

i found a TSB ON THE POWER TRAIN? do u think that might help me when i drop it off, should i let them bring it up?

Your technician uses Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, when diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. TSBs are notifications from vehicle manufacturers intended to advise their new car dealer’s service departments. TSB content may range from diagnostic and repair procedures for a known vehicle problem or condition to notifying dealerships about new and improved parts, warranty and service manual updates, or to update company policies and procedures.

Usually, TSB repairs are paid for by the manufacturer only if the vehicle is still within its factory warranty period. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is responsible for the repairs. Often “extended warranty” policies will pay for a TSB related repair.

Your technician uses Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, when diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. TSBs are notifications from vehicle manufacturers intended to advise their new car dealer's service departments. TSB content may range from diagnostic and repair procedures for a known vehicle problem or condition to notifying dealerships about new and improved parts, warranty and service manual updates, or to update company policies and procedures.

Usually, TSB repairs are paid for by the manufacturer only if the vehicle is still within its factory warranty period. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is responsible for the repairs. Often "extended warranty" policies will pay for a TSB related repair.

thanks snakedoctor, i am trying to figure if i should bring my 06 to an independent for has been refered to me or bring it to Chevrolet, what would u advise, just wondering Chevy wants 3100 for a re- manufactured tranny.thanks again.

sorry about your trans.my buddys trans in his gmc went out at 65,000 miles .he got one from the savlage yard with low miles for 450.00 and we installed it.of course that was the cheapest and most risky option.i would guess around 1200.00 for a independent trans shop.just look for one with a good reputation and offers some type warranty.trans parts are kinda inexpensive your just paying for someones knowledge of repairing them lots of parts that have to go a certain way.

You will save money taking it to an independent shop..........

And if you are worried you can get a beefed up transmission from the independent shop, from the dealership you will be getting the exact same transmission that broke at 56k.

You will save money taking it to an independent shop..........

And if you are worried you can get a beefed up transmission from the independent shop, from the dealership you will be getting the exact same transmission that broke at 56k.

well, got the Chevy back today, runs/ shifts good.....however there is transfer case oil leaking where the rear driveshaft connect s to the case :D uhhhhggh, this shop where i took it to is about an hour away :thumbs: I know, they were referred to me by someone that own's some classic's cars so i thought good enough 4 me., also when i tried shifting in and out of 4 wh, hi and low......i mean b 4 yiu just did not hear/ feel the "catch" of the gears , just worried i guess.

Archived