2011 5.3l Oil Pressure Low?

I notice this as well on my 2010 GMC 2500HD, the oil pressure responds to rpm instantly, just like the old style machanical gauges did.

I forget exactly when, but I believe sometime around the beginning of the GMT800 trucks, GM began programming 'buffers' into the electronic gauge signals, for example, any reading from 180 to 220 degrees would display 190 on the instrument gauge, though you could see the actual temperature fluctuatiing when using a MT2500. They did this presumably to prevent constant customer complaints regarding engine running too hot, too cold, too much oil pressure, too little, etc. Maybe they stopped.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my 5.3/2010 when warm runs at 37..questioned this last year and no one seemed to have a problem with this. Running dealer oil/filter. I would of rather have an idiot light as if I were buying this truck used, I'd stay away from it because of the oil pressure.

as a side note...I'm planning on dealers doing all oil changes so if "somthing" happens, oil maintenance is not an issue.

* I know some will post saying "as long as You do it at proper intervals,use approved oil, log it and save money. I'd rather pay a dealer and leave NO questions about that particular maintenance.

+1 :seeya: Especially since I provide them the Mobil 1 and PF48 filter and they only charge $9.85 for the labor.

I'm used to driving old Ford trucks, and on those, it seems like the gages always read the same numbers if it's running, unless something is wrong.

Ford's gauges (and many other manufacturers) don't move because they don't give you the actual reading. They stay in the middle to make you feel good. It's not until something is way out of line that they then rapidly move one way or another.

GM's gauges on the other hand tend to show a more realistic reading that varies with engine speed and temperature.

Exactly, it is because of uninformed people that other brands just program everything to stay right in the middle (in the happy place :thumbs: ). Oil pressure VARIES with rpm and load, as does the battery voltage and the voltage regulator calculates how much juice the battery should get based on charge state, temperature, electrical drain etc.

In fact GM is one of the only ones in their trucks to put actual number on gauges, I know that for trans temp, coolant temp and oil pressure Ford just has C (cold) H(hot) L(low H(High) and the gauges just sit in the happy spot unless all hell goes wrong.

Those numbers are nothing to worry about, 20psi of pressure is more then enough. I'm a Heavy Duty Mechanic, And Heavy truck mechanic and most new engines are easily now seeing as low as 10psi with no problems. Our new 15L Cummins ISX are easily seeing 15psi or less at idle.

Here is the answer I got. From 2010 forward, the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.2L V8's have variable valve timing (VVT). These engines use engine oil pressure to actuate a camshaft phaser that controls intake and exhaust valve opening and closing. Apparently this is one of the reasons these newer 5.3's run a little lower oil pressure than my 2007 5.3 did. I am not smart enough to say whether this is right or not but I guess it sounds believable to me. If nothing else it makes me feel better that one of the dealers other new trucks with a 5.3 runs lower oil pressure just like my new one does.

I picked up my brand new Silverado yesterday only to get a check engine light regarding: Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance (P0521) at a whopping 45 miles. I checked my oil level and it was good. Not the best first experience on a brand new Chevy, but I came from the world of check engine lights in VWs.

45 miles :sigh: , thats not good to hear. Take it back if you haven't done so already... Did you notice any other strange behavior before the code came up? Hopefully its something simple and its resolved quickly!!! Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

my 07 5.3 suburban had new pistons, lifters and valves at 70K for oil burning under warranty but the oil pressure dropped from 40 hot idle in D to 20 and sometimes a little less after a 4 hour highway run. My gauge also sweeps like a tach and will hit 60 while revving the engine

My 2011 Silverado does the same thing. Seems to be around 40 when I accelerate and run down the highway but at idle it's below 40. Guess I'll have to mention this to the dealer when I change the oil soon. My 2005 Sierra always stayed around 40 psi all the time.

Thanks GOD, my good old 4.8 - no oil issues at the moment, its over 175KM

can you imagine driving everyday with all that headaches :lol:

I'm used to driving old Ford trucks, and on those, it seems like the gages always read the same numbers if it's running, unless something is wrong.

Ford's gauges (and many other manufacturers) don't move because they don't give you the actual reading. They stay in the middle to make you feel good. It's not until something is way out of line that they then rapidly move one way or another.

GM's gauges on the other hand tend to show a more realistic reading that varies with engine speed and temperature.

This is true!!!! From drive different vehicles.....I've truly noticed this I watch my guages like a haw

• 4 months later...

Archived