14 replies to this topic

#1 Mankind

Mankind

Enthusiast

• 4 posts
  • Name:Kerry bertrand
  • Drives:2013 CrewCab Sierra SLT 4x4

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

My father has a 2001 Silverado with a 4.8L in it. The truck runs great, after replacing the fuel pump, but he has failed the Emission test here in the Baton Rouge area. The guy told him his Emission system is "not ready." There is no CEL and Autozone doesn't read anything on their code scanner. Any ideas before i have him take it to a shop?
2006 Summit White GMC Yukon Denali for the family and 2010 SIM Camaro for me to enjoy.

#2 Stevens11

Stevens11

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2011 GMC Sierra Crewcab 6.2L

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

Clueless here, You have no SES light, but failed? I don't understand the part about "not ready". Does the truck have mod's or missing emissions equipment?

Something don't sound right :seeya:

And welcome to the site.

Posted Image

Storm Gray TRUCK CLUB: Member #1
2011 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab 6.2L with NHT and 3.73 gears

Visit My Website

Current truck:
Denali Grill, 2" RC Leveling kit, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels w/ 305/50r20 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires, Blackbear tuned, Extang Full Tilt Bed cover, GMC Bedrug, 15% Tint, and Custom Dynamics light bar.

Previous trucks:
2007 Sierra 6.0 Vmax crewcab 4x4, 275/55r20's Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Denali Grill, Bedrug, Extang Full Tilt Tonneau Cover, Blackbear performance Custom tune
2003 Silverado 5.3L extended cab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker lift, 315/75r16 BFG tires, Goodmark Cowl hood, Billet grill, K&N 77-Series intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Wait4me PCM tune
2001 S10 Crewcab 4.3L 4x4; 3" body lift, 31" BFG K/O tires, Flowmaster 50-series exhaust, K&N 63-series intake, relocated IAT sensor, E-fans, TB Spacer, Jet stage 2 chip with B&M shift improver

#3 Mankind

Mankind

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Truck is stock. Fuel pump was bad and the fuel pressure would run the truck, but it cause issues when he tried to take off in traffic. Had a bunch of different codes at random times, from misfires, oxygen sensors, and knock sensors. I did some searches and found similar situations due to fuel pump. So we changed it about a year and a half ago and have had no problem since.

Brother-in-law's friend had a scanner that said not all on-board readiness checks passed when he plugged it in. Thats when we went to AZ to see if their's could tell us anything. I guess i need to go see him again and get the list of items that were not "ready" so i can provide more detail.
2006 Summit White GMC Yukon Denali for the family and 2010 SIM Camaro for me to enjoy.

#4 markw8

markw8

Enthusiast

• 874 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Was the battery disconnected just before going for the test? The truck would need more than a few miles for everything to be good.

Mark

#5 Mankind

Mankind

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

I'll ask but as far as i know he hasn't had any reason to D/C the batt since we did the feul pump.

#6 Stevens11

Stevens11

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2011 GMC Sierra Crewcab 6.2L

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

Disconnecting the battery neg side for a few minutes will re-set all the codes. If any new ones appear, then you have something to work with.

Posted Image

Storm Gray TRUCK CLUB: Member #1
2011 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab 6.2L with NHT and 3.73 gears

Visit My Website

Current truck:
Denali Grill, 2" RC Leveling kit, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels w/ 305/50r20 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires, Blackbear tuned, Extang Full Tilt Bed cover, GMC Bedrug, 15% Tint, and Custom Dynamics light bar.

Previous trucks:
2007 Sierra 6.0 Vmax crewcab 4x4, 275/55r20's Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Denali Grill, Bedrug, Extang Full Tilt Tonneau Cover, Blackbear performance Custom tune
2003 Silverado 5.3L extended cab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker lift, 315/75r16 BFG tires, Goodmark Cowl hood, Billet grill, K&N 77-Series intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Wait4me PCM tune
2001 S10 Crewcab 4.3L 4x4; 3" body lift, 31" BFG K/O tires, Flowmaster 50-series exhaust, K&N 63-series intake, relocated IAT sensor, E-fans, TB Spacer, Jet stage 2 chip with B&M shift improver

#7 Jennabear

Jennabear

Senior Enthusiast

• Supporting Vendor
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Does the Scanner work on the OBD port, or is there no reading at all?
Posted Image
Some show and quite a bit of go...contact us for Performance Tuning and Parts!

#8 desrtrat

desrtrat

Enthusiast

• 990 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Was the battery disconnected just before going for the test? The truck would need more than a few miles for everything to be good.

Mark

you need XX number of drive/start cycles for the emissions to reset to ready. i would guess the battery was disconnected when the pump was changed. if you drive it every day, it should reset in about 3-5 days of sooner..

good luck

#9 RyGuyZ71

RyGuyZ71

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

That sucks that they would fail your vehicle for OBD connection issues. That's just wrong.
Posted Image
2008 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax Z71 4X4 Crew Cab Long Bed 100% Stock

#10 Jsdirt

Jsdirt

Enthusiast

• 898 posts
  • Drives:2007 Silverado Z71, 4x4, 5.3 LMG, LT2

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

Yep - MA does this too. If all the monitors have not run & you try to get a sticker, you fail. In other words, if you try to clear a code to shut off the check engine light before you go to the inspection station thinking you'll get a sticker, it's not gonna happen. Their computer will say right on it "systems not ready".

There is a completely impractical drive cycle procedure that you can do to get the monitors running in about 15 minutes .... but unless you live in Phoenix, AZ on one of their many long, dead straight roads ... or have dyno access ... it'll never happen. You have to do a combination of city & highway driving over a few days to get them to run otherwise.

Another fine side effect of treehuggers getting their way in government ... :thumbs:

Edited by Jsdirt, 12 April 2011 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Raydar

Raydar

Enthusiast

• 11 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Drives:2005 Silverado LS 1500 Crew

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

I've got something similar going on.
I had a battery to give up the ghost. Came out and found it at 5.3 volts.
It left the computer in a confused state. Did goofy things like turning on the fans and leaving them on when the engine was turned off, etc. (Manual says they'll turn off after 3 minutes. Didn't happen.)
I disconnected the battery and let everything discharge overnight. Reconnected it and had no more symptoms.
I drove it for nearly 300 miles (several trips to work and home, plus around town errands) and my scan tool still shows "Readiness Monitor=N"

WTH? Is it supposed to take that long? My Trailblazer is "ready" after a trip to the store and back.
'05 Silverado LS Crew
'04 Trailblazer
'09 Dodge Challenger R/T
'88 Pontiac Fiero V8

#12 Hawkeye-08

Hawkeye-08

Enthusiast

• 608 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

It takes some drive cycles for sure to get the diags all to complete. My 98 Yukon took a few days, several trips, 150-200 miles total, city and highway. I had the laptop hooked up and checked the status and when it finally completed, took it to emissions where it passed just fine.

Edited by Hawkeye-08, 26 May 2011 - 12:10 AM.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 4WD CCSB 6.0/6sp 3.73

#13 matt450exc

matt450exc

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi guys, new to the site. My 04 Yukon has the same issue with the "not ready to be tested" fail for emissions in MA.
I have driven close to 200 miles over the course of a week, mostly city driving. Does the combined highway and city
driving really make the difference for the computer to reset? When I went back to retest after having the evap-valve
for the gas tank replaced, this is what happened.

#14 Duelin

Duelin

Enthusiast

• 409 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

If the EVAP Service bay test is NOT available, it may take up to 6 drive cycles, with up to 17 hours between drive cycles, for the EVAP I/M System Status indicator to transition to YES. Now with that being said are you sure the evap-valve cause the problem?

#15 matt450exc

matt450exc

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

When my inspection sticker was up in October it failed for "not ready to be tested" but I had no previous work done in over a year. There was a sporadic check light
that I figured was the gas cap (had it checked when this happened before), which I had replaced. No check engine light at time of original inspection, so I was aggrivated
of course that i failed for no apparent reason. Since the fall and into January it became very difficult to fill the gas tank; you could tell it wasn't venting correctly by the hissing and smell. I finally got around to fixing the problem which was a frozen vent soleniod. The shop checked for codes and it showed no codes found, so we figured this is was the
issue. They told me to drive 100-125 miles/ 5 days or so of driving for the computer to reset, but after 200+miles still not ready. I hate having the big "R" on my sticker! By the way the connection at the inspection computer showed "good connection".

Edited by matt450exc, 05 February 2012 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users