"dexos" Approved Synthetic Oil

Just purched my new Chevy 1500 5.3L Silverado and read about the DEXOS approved oil requirements in the Owner's manual.

I've always used synthetic oils in all my vehicles but cannot find a single brand on retailers shelves that have the "DEXOS" approved logo on the bottle.

Are there any major brands (Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc.) of synthetic that meet the "DEXOS" standard?

Just purched my new Chevy 1500 5.3L Silverado and read about the DEXOS approved oil requirements in the Owner's manual.

I've always used synthetic oils in all my vehicles but cannot find a single brand on retailers shelves that have the "DEXOS" approved logo on the bottle.

Are there any major brands (Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc.) of synthetic that meet the "DEXOS" standard?

Major brands are Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Some of those have their new bottles out now with the dexos logo on them. (my walmart has both Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP with the logo already.)

But, you can buy all of those in the store now and as long as they are the SN / Gf-5 version, they are dexos certified...the new bottles just aren't out yet. The SN / GF-5 versions of all of those oils are on shelves now, so you should be able to pick up some.

I was looking at the "official Dexos list" and it seems that a couple of other brands have appeared lately, or I just didn't notice them the first time. Looks like the Peak 5W30 is now approved (doesn't look like the synthetic version though-I'm surprised) and this can be found at Auto Zone stores. Also for those near Sinclair stations (Missouri?) their 5W-30 is now on the list as well as Coastal Oil (Warren) 5W-30.

As for me, my first change was with Pennzoil Platinum. I'll probably stay with it or Quaker State Ultimate Durability (price) as both are Shell products and are highly rated. I wouldn't mind Mobil 1 either, but for some reason its used oil analysis numbers on Bob is the Oil Guy have shown higher levels of iron lately. I've used M1 in many previous vehicles, but decided to do something different this time. My opinion is that any of these with proper change intervals will serve your truck well.

... Quaker State Ultimate Durability (price)

I changed my factory fill at 500 miles to this. It was a good run.

I wouldn't mind Mobil 1 either, but for some reason its used oil analysis numbers on Bob is the Oil Guy have shown higher levels of iron lately

That's why I switched to Mobil 1 EP. It's dexos certified and it doesn't seem to suffer from the regular Mobil 1's high iron numbers; plus it has a better add pack.

None of the major brands are "Dexos approved" up here in Canada, the only approved oil I can fine is at the GM dealership

and its a blend not even full synthetic. According to the 2 oil companies I called they will not be getting the Dexos certification in Canada

for financial reasons.

None of the major brands are "Dexos approved" up here in Canada, the only approved oil I can fine is at the GM dealership

and its a blend not even full synthetic. According to the 2 oil companies I called they will not be getting the Dexos certification in Canada

for financial reasons.

Whatever....Just get the changes done at the dealership and if you have an issue due to the wrong oil...than its they're fault.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum about a year ago. I used Mobil 1 religiously since about 2001 before that. Don't think for a minute that all the oil companies ran out to develop new oils to suit GM. I'm sure the premium ones already meet the "new requirements". Another ploy to get you to run to the dealer for a simple oil change.

I changed my factory fill at 500 miles to this (Quaker State Ultimate Durability). It was a good run.

I've never run Quaker State, but the numbers on their synthetic looks really good and the price can't be beat, currently $17 at Wally World for a 5qt. jug.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

If you folks have a few hours to spare, there is some great info on oil and the Dexos stuff from the weekend audio radio show I listen to every week.

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour1.mp3 Hour-1

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour2.mp3 Hour-2

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour3.mp3 Hour-3

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour4.mp3 Hour-4

I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum about a year ago. I used Mobil 1 religiously since about 2001 before that. Don't think for a minute that all the oil companies ran out to develop new oils to suit GM. I'm sure the premium ones already meet the "new requirements". Another ploy to get you to run to the dealer for a simple oil change.

Well, when the dealer can change my oil wash my truck and give me a cup of coffee or 3, all less than 10 bucks more than I have to pay and I don't have to lay out in the driveway, than dispose of the used oil...I think the dealership can have at er...not to mention the paper trail they than keep for you.

And they charge the same as every other quick lube place around...and 99% of the oil change guys at the dealerships are better at it than the quick lube places...like they actually put the filter on all the way, and check to make sure the oil o-ring came off...oh and tightening the drain plug is also nice...There are a lot of horror stories out there from those quick lube places.

just make sure your dealer does a thorough job. I caught the lube rack guys at my local GMC dealer not bothering to lube the chassis and putting the oil drain plug back in the pan before all the old oil had drained out. Last time I have my dealership do a LOF for the foreseeable future.

just make sure your dealer does a thorough job. I caught the lube rack guys at my local GMC dealer not bothering to lube the chassis and putting the oil drain plug back in the pan before all the old oil had drained out. Last time I have my dealership do a LOF for the foreseeable future.

I don't care one bit, personally, if they just hit the button to reset the OLM and leave the old oil in there. As long as there is a record of it for warranty.

And its hard to lube any chassis components in the new trucks...there's no Zerks on anything nowadays.

The guy who gets my truck next may see it differently...but than he should also opt for the extended warranty.

Now, again, if I was keeping the truck...that would be a different story. I would make sure everything was done and likely do it my self, as I have access to a lift and all. but this truck is just going to last as long as the warranty does.

Mine is a 05. Has 14 zerks, out of warranty (but do have a warranty with the credit union I financed through) and I am going to hang onto it for a long time so yes I do care that it gets done. If I had the right tools and a lift I'd do it myself. Does not matter though just taught me that dealers are not all that they are cracked up to be. I've found a new auto repair place that knows more about my truck then the dealers do. Glad to be giving them my business.

Archived