"dexos" Approved Synthetic Oil

None of the major brands are "Dexos approved" up here in Canada, the only approved oil I can fine is at the GM dealership

and its a blend not even full synthetic. According to the 2 oil companies I called they will not be getting the Dexos certification in Canada

for financial reasons.

Whatever....Just get the changes done at the dealership and if you have an issue due to the wrong oil...than its they're fault.

With all the problems AFM engines are having with lifters and rings I highly doubt GM would be interested in

doing anything for you after your warranty runs out.

Plus I think we all agree that full synthetic is better then the synthetic/dino blend.

If you folks have a few hours to spare, there is some great info on oil and the Dexos stuff from the weekend audio radio show I listen to every week.

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour1.mp3 Hour-1

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour2.mp3 Hour-2

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour3.mp3 Hour-3

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour4.mp3 Hour-4

I actually listened to a good part of this. As stated by many the advice was not only look for the proper viscosity oil, but also one that meets the car mfg spec. In our case Dexos. This podcast seemed to look at Mobil and Pennzoil products favorably.

Also, I'm one of those who plan on keeping the truck for a while. I can do my own oil changes and keep all receipts for warranty for the peace of mind that it was done correctly with the right oil and filter. Who's to say that you pay for a syntheic change and you get what you pay for. They might just dump in bulk 20W-50, 10W-40, etc. I don't trust dealers, oil change places, etc. Now on my last leased truck I let the dealer do all the changes; that one is now someone else's problem. I kind of like doing it myself as it gives me a chance to look other things over. Caught a leaking powersteering line on the last oil change. To each his own I guess.

i go to the dealer for everything even oil changes :troll: i have no complaints and it gives me peace of mind knowing my truck was serviced by professionals instead of a guy that has the automotive skills of backwoods hillbilly

And its hard to lube any chassis components in the new trucks...there's no Zerks on anything nowadays.

There are two on these new trucks.

Zero of them on my truck. I guess it depends who supplied the Chassis parts that day of manufacturing.

And after my warranty is out my dealership is going to do one thing for me...sell me a new truck. But yeah, M1 is fully dexose certified, even if it doesn't have the logo on it...as are 99% of the oils out there actually. There are a few companies that choose not to get the certification as it costs money to do that...that doesn't mean that they're lesser oils.

If you use M1 you will be absolutely fine...if you use M1- EP your oil will outlast your OLM

All the Info 99% of us will need to know about dexose, and GF5 cert including a list of certified suppliers. as of Oct last year. Both of them.

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthrea...amp;Number=3566

Zero of them on my truck. I guess it depends who supplied the Chassis parts that day of manufacturing.

You are telling me that you don't have two in the front? The outer tie rods? I think you may be mistaken.

Can anyone else verify that only some of these new trucks (2010-2011) have the two outer tie rod zerks that need to be greased? I don't believe they'd do that.

You are telling me that you don't have two in the front? The outer tie rods? I think you may be mistaken.

Can anyone else verify that only some of these new trucks (2010-2011) have the two outer tie rod zerks that need to be greased? I don't believe they'd do that.

OK...guess you know more about my truck than I do...

No I don't have any Zerks....my 03 only had 4, 2 lower ball joints and 1 in each U-joint cause they were replaced. A little 4oz tube of grease lasted me a year for that truck. The tie rods in that truck didn't have any Zerks either...of course they may have been replacements too...I didn't buy it new.

OK...guess you know more about my truck than I do..

I'm not telling you that i know more about your truck, so relax. I just have never heard of a manufacturer putting out a truck where all of the same models on a lot either have zerks or don't. Doesn't seem right. Also, in our owners manual, under service and maintenance, what is it referring to then when it says to grease the front suspension? Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure would like someone who is more knowledgeable than both of us to say one way or the other and explain it. :jester:

Since my truck is now broken in and just passed 1,000 Mi (200 of which was towing), I'm going to change my oil and drain the crap out of the system. I went down to my local auto store (no Wally World nearby) and found Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 on sale for about $5/bottle. It's got a Dexos-1 label on it, so I figure I'm good. Since I'll be putting about 7k miles annually on the truck (about 25% of that will be towing), I wanted to get a high-quality, long-life oil that would allow me to go 1 year between changes. Based on some research I've done, I went and picked up a couple of those Napa Gold filters and a magnetic oil drain plug as well. So, from this point on out, Tax Day will also be Oil Change day around my house. And, we're good-to-go with the Dexos thing as well.

OK...guess you know more about my truck than I do..

I'm not telling you that i know more about your truck, so relax. I just have never heard of a manufacturer putting out a truck where all of the same models on a lot either have zerks or don't. Doesn't seem right. Also, in our owners manual, under service and maintenance, what is it referring to then when it says to grease the front suspension? Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure would like someone who is more knowledgeable than both of us to say one way or the other and explain it. :jester:

Sorry man, Its nothing against you...just lately people question you left right and center when you state something on this board....even if 30 people state the same thing, someone will chime in with they're own opinion thats absolute gospel, and the other 30 people are obviously wrong. Even I have been guilty on occasion....but usually catch myself and edit my post, unless someone quotes me too quickly.

Lots of vehicles come from the factory with little or nothing to grease...it still says to grease it in the owners manual, just in case there is something up there...like when you go replace a part with an aftermarket one. Lots of aftermarket companies still have grease fittings.

Its more of a check and grease if available. If they said not to and something was grease-able, than they probably could be liable??? maybe??

My 90 Lumina was like this...it had non-serviceable parts on the front end.

Than there was the sealed for life trans that they came out with...remember those.

But yeah...I know what your saying....I checked under the truck when I had it in for the first service, as I thought something would have a zerk...and I find its a 50/50 chance that they don't clean them off when they ooze. So I like to get that crap off before it turns to a paste, or drops on the ground and leaves a slick when it rains...or gets tracked inside...I was surprised to find there were none there either...I figured a truck would at least have a few...Nothing in mine.

My truck was built in Fort Worth....I'd like to know if others from there are like this...But I'd have to find people with similar dates etc...I also have a Z71 if that makes a diff...IDK.

i go to the dealer for everything even oil changes :D i have no complaints and it gives me peace of mind knowing my truck was serviced by professionals instead of a guy that has the automotive skills of backwoods hillbilly

As a backwoods hillbilly I resemble that remark :jester:

Seriously, if you've got a good dealer that takes care of you and you're happy.....awesome.

• 2 years later...

i go to the dealer for everything even oil changes :dunno: i have no complaints and it gives me peace of mind knowing my truck was serviced by professionals instead of a guy that has the automotive skills of backwoods hillbilly

Maybe your dealership, but most dealerships, the lube tech is not anywhere near a true mechanic. I would say more of a mid grade lube person.... better than most quick lube places, but not like having an ASE mechanic doing the job. Caveat Emptor still is applicable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived