Slowwwwww A/c Leak

I have slow leak in my A/C system that 2 shops could not diagnose. I'm going to bite the bullet and replace the condenser. The compressor works fine. Should I use GM or aftermarket parts? Do I need to replace the drier and orifice tube filter at the same time?

I have slow leak in my A/C system that 2 shops could not diagnose. I'm going to bite the bullet and replace the condenser. The compressor works fine. Should I use GM or aftermarket parts? Do I need to replace the drier and orifice tube filter at the same time?

Are you sure that it is the condenser that is leaking? I would hate to go thru the hassle of replacing that, to find that there are other issues.

I would replace any filters and driers while you have the system apart and the charge out. Once the system is closed up again, be sure they do a thorough evacuation on it to get all the moisture and air out.

the leak is probably coming from the compressor shaft, the condenser is easy to diagnose with soapy water if pressure tested. Replacing the orifice tube and drier is not completely necessary, i usually only replace them if there is a complete line that blows off or if the failure is near the two mentioned parts. The orifice tube is about $5 and the drier can be anywhere from $50 to $200 dollars. You could buy either gm or after market it dosen't really matter.

They put dye in the system and I observed them checking it with the sniffer. They checked every fitting, hose, etc. I'm wondering about a possible leak at either the low/high pressure schrader valve core. Do these leak? I know they didn't check the compressor shaft seal. Once the system is charged, it takes a little over a year before I loose the A/C which makes it difficult. I'll take it back and have the shop check the compressor. Thanks for everyone's help.

They put dye in the system and I observed them checking it with the sniffer. They checked every fitting, hose, etc. I'm wondering about a possible leak at either the low/high pressure schrader valve core. Do these leak? I know they didn't check the compressor shaft seal. Once the system is charged, it takes a little over a year before I loose the A/C which makes it difficult. I'll take it back and have the shop check the compressor. Thanks for everyone's help.

You don't check dye with a sniffer. A sniffer smells the freon. With dye You use a black light. And you will see a fluorescent reflection from the dye where it is leaking from the system. It stands out like a like a sore thumb.

You don't check dye with a sniffer. A sniffer smells the freon. With dye You use a black light. And you will see a fluorescent reflection from the dye where it is leaking from the system. It stands out like a like a sore thumb.

Leave me correct myself before someone else does. The light is called a UV light. We have a habit of calling it a Black Light. FYI you can also put dye into your oil, cooling systems and transmissions to find a leak.

I wouldn't start just changing parts, you are just making random guesses as to where it will leak. I've had a leaking compressor shaft seal before, it was diagnosed by a shop.

They do make freon with leak stop, if the leak is that should take care of the issue. I hate using "leak stop" stuff because it's possible to damage other things, but what the hell, your next option was to change random parts anyway...

If it takes a year to loose charge, just put in a can of freon every spring. Lots cheaper than changing A/C parts. But, I've heard that the GM compressors are known for leaking at the mating seem between the two halves of the compressor. The dye should show that if it's the case.

• 2 years later...

Archived