2011 Sierra Audio Upgrade

New to the boards...

Just purchased a 2011 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE (non-bose) and love it, except for the sound system. It sounds like a "muddy mess". My 2002 Yukon factory system sounded way better. So I've been trying to figure out how to upgrade it easily. I would like to keep the factory head unit, unless it absolutely has to go. Crutchfield advisors suggested:

1) New speakers and amp while keeping the factory head unit

- Kenwood KAC 6404 (4 channel amp)

- Polk Audio DXi 650s

- Plus parts comes to $414

Superperv23 on these boards suggested:

2) JL Audio TR650-CXi in the doors and replace the tweeters with Rockford Fosgate P1T-S set at -4 db

- approx cost $300

Crutchfield suggested disconnecting the factory tweeter because the Polk Audio door speakers would handle the highs better. I'm unclear how the factory head unit will be able to accommodate an amp. I thought I'd need a new head unit to be able to add one. I guess the bigger question is do I need an amp? Or would Superperv23 suggest be adequate?

I listen to all types of music, but would prefer clarity over bass (although I do like bass). Right now I have to turn the volume up to about 80% to really rock the truck and by then the sound is junk. Down the road it would be nice to add a sub/amp, but for now I can go with out. I am limited by time to doing an install myself, but think I can manage any of the the choices above.

Anyone have any advice? Is there another option that I should consider? Would it be worth taking to a local shop and letting them do the install?

I have anywhere from $400 - $800 to do the upgrade, but would prefer the $500 range, for now.

If you use the fader control you will find most of the mud is from the rear door speakers. Just changing them will make a large difference. Be careful though. Upgrading audio is a slippery slope. You may end up with a completely new system wxcept the head unit like I did.

I also thought that I'd need something like that from Pac-Audio, but according to Crutchfield the amp that they suggested would bypass that need. Their response was:

In answer to your question about adding an amplifier to your vehicle's factory sound system, the easiest way to use an amp with a factory radio is to make sure the amp has speaker-level inputs. Factory radios don't have preamp outputs, so speaker-level inputs mean you won't have to buy a special adapter. Speaker-level inputs also allow you to use the existing factory speaker wires in your vehicle to route the signal into the amp, for an easier installation. The Kenwood amp has those inputs.

Installing option #1 above seems to be the easiest way to upgrade the system. Has anyone done anything like this? If so were you happy with the results?

funny,

i asked Crutchfield what door speakers they recommend to give me better sound and more bass, while using the stock head unit, and they recommended the Pioneer TS-A1684R speakers, and 6-3/4" speaker baffles. total for 4 speakers and the baffles is less than $220.

I also thought that I'd need something like that from Pac-Audio, but according to Crutchfield the amp that they suggested would bypass that need. Their response was:

In answer to your question about adding an amplifier to your vehicle's factory sound system, the easiest way to use an amp with a factory radio is to make sure the amp has speaker-level inputs. Factory radios don't have preamp outputs, so speaker-level inputs mean you won't have to buy a special adapter. Speaker-level inputs also allow you to use the existing factory speaker wires in your vehicle to route the signal into the amp, for an easier installation. The Kenwood amp has those inputs.

Installing option #1 above seems to be the easiest way to upgrade the system. Has anyone done anything like this? If so were you happy with the results?

In my 2003 Extended Cab I installed a MTX amp and 10" sub using the speaker level inputs (tapped the wires to the rear speakers) and I was satisfied with the result.

I can't comment on the rest of the suggestions, I have the factory Bose, which is a little lacking.

I'm not sure if you would have to tap into the speaker wires to do it this way or how that would work. The PAC piece allows you to connect the amp to the headunit without splicing any wires. That is why I chose to go that way. Might be cheaper to buy the PAC piece and an amp with RCAs than to buy an amp with speaker level inputs....not too sure about this though. Just my $.02

Pretty certain you will get TONS of feedback doing that. I believe in RCAs there is a shielding around the main signal carrying wire which is why when you look at the male end of a wire there is the center "prong" and also the outer metal "casing" that make contact with different parts of the female connector.

Did you install the Pioneer speakers? If so do you like?

i haven't ordered them yet, but from the looks of the spec sheet, and what the advisor told me, they have the widest frequency range compared to all the other full-range speakers they sell, and a wide RMS power range; meaning they have good bass, and will be efficient enough to use with the factory head unit.

i am going to upgrade my head unit to the Advent OGM1 (factory look-a-like aftermarket nav system) after i install the speakers to see the power difference between stock, speaker upgrade, and then speaker & head unit upgrade.

my end goal is to have navigation, bluetooth, better sound & more bass without adding an amp or subwoofer, very simple installation, and keep the factory controls & XM without adding a bunch of adapters!

You can try 'em if you want, but I think you're going to get a ton of feedback from them. I think I'd spend the 50 bucks for the PAC module and not have to splice or cut any of my wires in my truck. That's up to you however.

Thanks MFE.

I contacted Pac-Audio and the LOC that you suggested above will fit a 2011 Sierra. That is the route I'll go. Still deciding on the amp speaker set-up though. Thanks to everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.

- JR

Archived