4.3 to 6.0L engine swap (REALLY)

I have the opportunity to purchase an 02 Silverado with the 6.0L in it that has been rear-ended in a big way. I own an 01 Silverado with the 4.3 V6 in it and would like to swap the two. Looks like they share the same type of transmission.... I know that all of the wiring harness and computer will have to be swapped, but has anybody done this? I will have the donor truck handy for all necessary parts... Do I sound nuts yet??? I think the 02 is an HD 2500 if that matters... SOMEBODY tell me that I am crazy here. I once stuffed a TPI 350 in an S10 Blazer, so I am not completely in the dark. I just wnat to know how MUCH trouble it might be.

Thanks

I see... I stand corrected on the trans... BUT if I have the entire truck to swap parts off of, I could just do a complete engine/trans swap. The donor only has 11,000 miles on it anyway.

Consider the weight youre putting up there??? I think its a kick-ass idea but I think you should realize youre gonna constantly run into alot of unexpected things... Changing out the computer, fuse box, hooking up sensors, etc..? Better you than me.. Hope you have another vehicle to cruise in the meantime... :( Good luck and keep us up to date.  :thumb:

I say go for it. Lifes to short to wonder what it would have been like :( .  If your going to do it then think if your ever gonna want to do anything to the engine, if you do, do it before you put the engine in the truck. Your definatley going to run into problems but the best thing to do is to think about what the biggest problems might be and solve them before you even start tearing into things.

Alex

I agree, go for it!  If you have the complete donor vehicle, then fixing the little quibbles you may come across is irrelevant.

As to the different transmissions, all the 4L80/85E is is an internally upgraded and beefed up 4L60/65E.  Otherwise, they should both bolt up to either engine.  But like him, I'd just swap out the 4L60/65E for the 80/85E anyway.  :(

• 3 years later...

hey i'm looking at doing the same thing but to a 2000 silverado with a 2005 6 liter, just wondering what sort of problems you've ran into so far... i know a bunch of em but i thought the motor mounts would match up... no eh, and i was hoping the 4l60e trany would mate up... no eh... well that's all good... i haven't pulled the 4.3 out yet so i can still research it with out too much haste :cheers: thanx for sharing the info guys.

lee

As to the different transmissions, all the 4L80/85E is is an internally upgraded and beefed up 4L60/65E. 

Guess again. It is a completely different animal. The 4L80/85 is based on the THM 400 and the 4L60/65 started life as a THM 350 and then a 700R4. Internals are a lot different and so are the gear ratios in all gears except drive. While the 4L60 was beefed up some in 05 it still is not a 4L80 and except for the 05 beefup, the 4L60 has not changed much since the 700R4 except for electronic control.

What is the weight difference?

Would your suspension need some adjustment as well to compensate?

Also, how does an '02 only have 11,000 miles? Was it sitting for a long time after the crash? Any chance of damage due to sitting for so long?

Archived