I am not a fan of the pipe sticking out the back of my truck. Yes I know it's a picky thing, but I just don't like it. I though about just cutting some of the pipe to make it almost like a turn down. I figured it wouldn't affect the sound any. But I am thinking about just cutting the whole stock muffler off and run it like that. Will that cause a check engine light, or any problem if I did that? I just don't want it to sound like shit.

I have 2009 Sierra 5.3l

Cutting the stock muffler off should not trigger any codes from what i understand, but im not to sure on those new trucks. Post up a vid when/if you do it!

Don't lop off the whole muffler. These trucks need the backpressure. Cut the end of the pipe off and put a new muffler in the stock one's place if you want a change but want it cheap. Unbolt the stock setup and you'll see why cutting the muffler out isn't a good idea.

Does just cutting the pipe so it is a down turn affect the sound at all. I have heard it does and heard it does not.

Cut that restrictive box off,Its a truck you need it loud.I dont know about these new trucks but my 99 sierra has 4 cats and thats enough back pressure.Remember "Loud pipes save lives"!except if its a real old person then it might be a little different.

I've been thinking about doing the same, just can't make up my mind. I would only cut it off at the hanger right in front of the rear wheel. Would really like to see some pics if you decide to do it!

No muffler will sound awful with no tailpipe, it will make long drives suck and the resonance will suck. Don't do it.

They all sound good to me. I say go for it and if you dont like then just have your stock muffler welded back on!

They do sound good outside. I'm talking about how it will be inside the cab. It will be a miserable place to spend time.

I cut the tail pipe alittle past the first bend. Which is also a little before that first hanger mount. Then I just cleaned up the edges with an angle grinder. Not much of a sound difference at all. Maybe I slight increase in drone I dont know but I don't think removing that little bit of pipe did much of anything except make the truck look a little better...

Ditching the tailpipe won't do too much but cutting off the muffler is what I was saying you should pass on.

yeah well I thought about cutting the muffler but just didn't want to mess something up i'd have to the fix

A little late to the party, but I cut my tailpipe back 31" and put on a tip (2.75" inlet from Summit) and was happy with the results.

100_0151.jpg

• Like 1

that should get the exhaust out behind you good enough. ive never been a fan of dumping at the axel, but different strokes for different folks right