Cutting Stock Muffler

I am not a fan of the pipe sticking out the back of my truck. Yes I know it's a picky thing, but I just don't like it. I though about just cutting some of the pipe to make it almost like a turn down. I figured it wouldn't affect the sound any. But I am thinking about just cutting the whole stock muffler off and run it like that. Will that cause a check engine light, or any problem if I did that? I just don't want it to sound like shit.

I have 2009 Sierra 5.3l

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't lop off the whole muffler. These trucks need the backpressure. Cut the end of the pipe off and put a new muffler in the stock one's place if you want a change but want it cheap. Unbolt the stock setup and you'll see why cutting the muffler out isn't a good idea.

Cut that restrictive box off,Its a truck you need it loud.I dont know about these new trucks but my 99 sierra has 4 cats and thats enough back pressure.Remember "Loud pipes save lives"!except if its a real old person then it might be a little different.

I cut the tail pipe alittle past the first bend. Which is also a little before that first hanger mount. Then I just cleaned up the edges with an angle grinder. Not much of a sound difference at all. Maybe I slight increase in drone I dont know but I don't think removing that little bit of pipe did much of anything except make the truck look a little better...

Archived