Cutting Stock Muffler

well it looks like a lot of guys are going for it, and I have been thinking about it for a while now so I think I will go for it too.

on the other hand I have a pair of glass packs that I want to install as soon as I take my truck in for inspection, but if the sound is nice after cutting the pipe I will leave it like that.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it's not much of a sound difference. I basically just cut the elbow part off the of tailpipe. I am going to order a small turndown tip just to redirect the exhaust down. I'll paint it black so it wont be as visible.

I recommend just cutting some of the pipe off if your looking for a cleaner look and maybe a little bit more throaty sound

I cut my stock muffler out and had a single flowmaster installed about 3 years ago. Held up well, not too loud, and sounds good.

It does has a noticeable drone when switching to the V4 mode, but not that big a deal.

• 1 year later...

i have a 99 chevy c1500 and planning on cutting the muffler off tomorrow after the cats where the dual in go into the muffler... ill see how that sounds...... cut is going right under the m200

21974.jpg

i have a 99 chevy c1500 and planning on cutting the muffler off tomorrow after the cats where the dual in go into the muffler... ill see how that sounds...... cut is going right under the m200

21974.jpg

It's sound good with the 350! Post up a video when you do!

my bad it should be good now...

Oh yah man sounds good !!! Now if you want it REALLY loud chop the cats off and leave the mufflers off and that sucker will wake up the dead!! I had a buddy who did that to his and it was louuuuud! Like you could barely touch the gas and you'd have people starring at yah

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hey big blue, know this is really late but i am thinkin of doing the same thing to my truck, wondering if it did anything for your sound and tone and what bout the noise in the cab

hey. its not bad in the cab its tolerable. i personally like the sound but my wallet isnt to happy lol i step on the gas to much.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2004 half ton with a 5.3. I recently took a sawzall to my muffler, cutting it off at both sides, first the stern then the bow. after it dropped I had planned on clamping in a straight pipe. Problem was the rubber band type hangers for the exhaust were all dry rotted so I just cut the rubber and the tailpipe dropped too. So I'm left with a wide open hole just before the muffler would have started. So then I started it up in my barn with the door closed and my pants got a few inches shorter. After I took a deep breath it was time for a test drive. It was not too loud at all. It hasn't popped a single time. Its a deep throaty V8 sound that the muffler should be hanged for hiding. If you're considering this, do it. Having a stock exhaust gets embarrassing after a while so upgrading is necessary, and cutting off the muffler is required for a new one to be put on. So cut it off and see if you like it, if its too much for you then weld or clamp on a much smaller muffler. You've got nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Archived