Dash Rattle Noise

I have a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab, I recently noticed that I have a rattle in my dash some where. I have not been able to find it. I have pulled the upper part of the dash apart where it just pops on, near the radio and HVAC controls, I have removed the radio, HVAC controls, which is where is seems to be coming from, at least when I listen for the sound it seems to be that part of the dash area. I am not able to find anything. I have also looked up under the drivers side of the dash and I do not see anything that is loose that could cause the rattle, I also took the lower panel off, but got it only half way off, and still could not find anything. I also ran down the road, listening for the sounds with the dash apart, and still could not find where its coming from.

I also notice that when the weather is warmer, it rattles less and takes bigger bumps to make it rattle, when its colder it rattles more and with just a little bump in the road.

This is driving me crazy and can't figure it out. Maybe someone as an idea out there or have experienced this problem. Also as an FYI I removed all items from the interior of the truck, hoping that it was items in the glove box, or my sun glasses in the dash cubby hole, but no luck it still rattles.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Ryan

I have a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab, I recently noticed that I have a rattle in my dash some where. I have not been able to find it. I have pulled the upper part of the dash apart where it just pops on, near the radio and HVAC controls, I have removed the radio, HVAC controls, which is where is seems to be coming from, at least when I listen for the sound it seems to be that part of the dash area. I am not able to find anything. I have also looked up under the drivers side of the dash and I do not see anything that is loose that could cause the rattle, I also took the lower panel off, but got it only half way off, and still could not find anything. I also ran down the road, listening for the sounds with the dash apart, and still could not find where its coming from.

I also notice that when the weather is warmer, it rattles less and takes bigger bumps to make it rattle, when its colder it rattles more and with just a little bump in the road.

This is driving me crazy and can't figure it out. Maybe someone as an idea out there or have experienced this problem. Also as an FYI I removed all items from the interior of the truck, hoping that it was items in the glove box, or my sun glasses in the dash cubby hole, but no luck it still rattles.

Ryan

Ryan,

I have a rattle in my GMT-900 that I hadn't been able to trace, however it sounds exactly like what you are describing. I found mine to be a plastic part that is the linkage from the actual gear shift to the piece that is on the column. Its black and plastic and had some wires plugged into it.

Hardly hear it when its warm unless it is a large bump, but can hear it really easily when its cold.

Hope this helps. I havent fixed mine yet, but intend to shortly.

Travis

Ryan

Ryan,

I have a rattle in my GMT-900 that I hadn't been able to trace, however it sounds exactly like what you are describing. I found mine to be a plastic part that is the linkage from the actual gear shift to the piece that is on the column. Its black and plastic and had some wires plugged into it.

Hardly hear it when its warm unless it is a large bump, but can hear it really easily when its cold.

Travis

Thanks for the info Travis, I will check there and see what I can find, do you know what you have to take apart to get to it, do you have take off the lower dash panel that is under the steering column? to get to it? I know from looking that there is a lot of wires and parts, and I was wondering what the best way to reach it was?

Thanks again Travis

Ryan

Ryan,

Travis

Thanks for the info Travis, I will check there and see what I can find, do you know what you have to take apart to get to it, do you have take off the lower dash panel that is under the steering column? to get to it? I know from looking that there is a lot of wires and parts, and I was wondering what the best way to reach it was?

Thanks again Travis

I think you will have to take off the upper dash bezel, then remove the lower knee bolster (two screws at the bottom and then pull the panel away from the dash) then you should be able to reach up in there and maybe get to it....hope this helps.

Archived