Best Grade/station Of Gas Is Best?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
That would be for the lower octane gas. I am almost 100% certain that in order for any of the refineries to get anything 91 and above, they do have to had ethanol and can't reach those octane levels without it.

I am not sure, you could be correct? I have heard before that Shell doesn't use ethanol in there 93 octane and I even tried to find a defiant answer. If you Google it you will see others have asked the same question and from what I see it can really vary from where you live. So I just assumed since they advertised it that it was true, but who knows. I thought that was why I got better gas mileage with it, but I could be wrong? Either way I like there gas compared to other stations.

That would be for the lower octane gas. I am almost 100% certain that in order for any of the refineries to get anything 91 and above, they do have to had ethanol and can't reach those octane levels without it.

I think it makes a difference where the station is at. Stopped in one in Minneapolis last year that was 93 octane and no ethanol, even checked with them at store to make sure.

There is addatives that can be added to raise octane without ethanol, similar tho the octane boost you can buy in the bottle at auto parts stores

I always stick to gas stations that sell high quality gas. Mostly use Mobil followed by Kwik Trip an then Shell. Once an a while I'll use BP or other gas stations depending where I am but that's rare.

I also always run 93 octane, just feel more comfortable using the 93 an the extra cost doesn't bother me. My truck will only get the best quality, fuel, fluids, filters, parts, etc.

• 3 months later...

All gasoline refined in the United States is per the U S Gov't Federal specifications regardless of the refinery. Thus, all refinery company's gasoline is the same. Additives and ethanol are added to the tanker delivery trailer at the terminal. Ethanol cannot be shipped by pipeline since the water which is used to separate the gasoline and diesel shipments will just mix with the ethanol [alcohol]. All ethanol is delivered to the terminal from the refinery by train or truck.

Some stations sell pure gasoline, with No ethanol added. These are usually in areas that also have a high marine usage. Since oil will not mix with ethanol, for marine use, it is better to use a 100% gasoline product.

Do any of you'se guys remember back around the spring of 2003 when Motiva {Shell's U S gas distribution company] put out a high sulphur content gasoline in the southeastern U S that caused a lot of vehicle's gas guages to go out. It took Motiva [shell] about six months to own up to their error, however, all they did was say they were sorry. They didn't help pay to fix the gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really that important? The Top Tier website says that it just helps maintain clean injectors and valves, but can't you just use the Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner here and there and run non-top tier gas? Over time it's just going to cost the same but if you don't have top tier stations within a reasonable distance, as is my case, wouldn't this make sense? I can get the Techron stuff when I'm already at Walmart, and GM already sells the stuff at their dealerships with GM logos on the same bottle.

I've generally run shell 91 octane since thats the highest I've seen in cali or around me. But when I was getting my truck tuned justin from black bear tuning said he suggests 76, said he's seen better results through his tunes with gas from 76 stations. Wish they still had VP racing here in town use to carry 95 and 100 octane.

Archived