Best Grade/station Of Gas Is Best?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after running 3 tanks of 76 I will never run it again most likely it dropped 2 mpg from using shell or chevron which is bad as it is since right now I'm getting 14-15 mpg until I get new gears so I was getting about 12 mpg :banghead:

I also should add I put chevron in and picked it back up to 14-15 mpg. :dunno:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All of this top tier stuff is purely academic and makes for interesting discussion, but that is about it for me. There are no top tier stations on the web site list for my area. I am not going to drive 50 miles to another town that has one. Looks like a dose of Cheveron Techron occasionally is about all that is going to happen. But that is about how it usually goes... they come up with this stuff and it doesn't do any good for segments of the country. Kinda like cellular service areas. Works great as long as one is near metro areas primarily, but sporadic at best when you hit the back areas of the country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

All gasoline refined in the United States is per the U S Gov't Federal specifications regardless of the refinery. Thus, all refinery company's gasoline is the same. Additives and ethanol are added to the tanker delivery trailer at the terminal. Ethanol cannot be shipped by pipeline since the water which is used to separate the gasoline and diesel shipments will just mix with the ethanol [alcohol]. All ethanol is delivered to the terminal from the refinery by train or truck.

Some stations sell pure gasoline, with No ethanol added. These are usually in areas that also have a high marine usage. Since oil will not mix with ethanol, for marine use, it is better to use a 100% gasoline product.

X2 I used to haul gasoline and I can tell you that for the most part it all comes from the same place. We used to haul for exxon but at the same pipeline you would have trucks from all suppliers pulling from the same pipes and tanks. There may be a difference if the tank farm is being supplied by a different refinery however. But the gas coming from that location whether it be for mobil, exxon, or standard is pretty much the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Husky or Petro Can 94 in my Silverado but we tuned it on the dyno and dialed its AFR in on that. It has 10% ethanol in as they just blend ethanol into 91 base stock. I don't like Shell fuels and I will never use them unless I have no other choice. Here there is 3 refineries and I have worked at the load outs doing system repair and maintenance on 2 of them. All your fuels come from 1 of 3 places here so the base stock is the same regardless. All 87 octane gasoline sold here has 10% ethanol.... the base stock is around 84 octane before they blend the ethanol into it. Some companies have their own additional additives. The difference from top tier to not is the strigency of how clean the truck and storage tank is.... that's about it. All the base stocks come out the same pipe regardless of what brand is on the truck.....

• 7 months later...

Archived