Ly6, Lq4, Lq9 500rwhp ?

I have been looking at Ly6, lq4, lq9 engines lately and they are quite cheap used and make a good amount of power. I was thinking that it would be a good engine to use in a 1970 Camaro I plan on restoring does anyone know any details on this engine and what I would need to make about 475-550 rwhp with one. Any comments are welcome. I am pretty set on an ly6 or lq4 but not ruling out the lq9 the main problem I am having is the ly6 has vvt which I dont want and the lq4 dosent have the l92 heads which would be a cheaper, remove vvt or buy l92 heads. and are these engines safe to be revved to 7500 ?

P.S Must keep fuel injected

(I was thinking fast 102mm intake,102mm throttle body, cam, ported heads, bigger injectors, something to get the compression ratio up(pistons maybe ?), good tune, not sure if this all adds up to 500ish hp)

Intake & throttle body

Cam

I think your on the right track, I think the LY6 would be the best option since it's the latest. A cam swap and a few other add ons with programming and you'll be real close to your target numbers. And I don't believe they are safe to run to 7500 rpms. Most I'd personally push it is 6000 maybe 6200 but thats in the stock form. Not sure after modified.

Post photos of your progress :thumbs: And welcome to the site!

Thanks I have been asking people on other sites like ls1 tech and camaro forum but everyone said they didnt know much about the truck engines. I will post pics but likely not starting until this fall or winter trying to get money and ideas together. Well what mods would I have to do to make the engine safe to rev to 7000 or 7500.

take a LQ-4 or a LQ-9 bore and stroke to 408 CI. with forged internals to handle the rpm your looking at, good ported L-92 heads, intake, proper cam, LT's spot on tune, 3-3500 stall, should get you pretty close..

Yes I was thinking about boring/stroking it but in a way I want to keep this build fairly cheap and 7-7500 revs is not a necessity I could handle a limit of 6-6500. I was thinking...

I want to keep this build under 6000 bucks including buying the engine (probably used)

OR

If I purchased one of these engines what should I do to increase hp and make revving safer.

Yes I was thinking about boring/stroking it but in a way I want to keep this build fairly cheap and 7-7500 revs is not a necessity I could handle a limit of 6-6500. I was thinking...

I want to keep this build under 6000 bucks including buying the engine (probably used)

OR

If I purchased one of these engines what should I do to increase hp and make revving safer.

Why the need to rev to 7500? Is this going to street driven?

What is the intended purpose (drag racing, street racing, daily driving, etc?) Lots of guys are hitting 450 at the wheels with just intake, headers, and cam with a 6.0 block through a T-56.

Jenna wasn't saying fuel injection. FI means "Forced Induction". Meaning: supercharger/turbo. That would be the easiest way of hitting your rwhp goals.

LQ9 and LQ4 are pretty much the same block, they just have different parts bolted on them.

Well I am planning on putting this engine in a 70 Camaro which I will take to shows, street racing and a few times at the drag strip I also want to do some road racing. But I want to keep the engine fuel Injected and might do some boring/stroking later on, I just want to get the car going with some reasonable power. As I said earlier I was thinking Intake, Cam , Throttle body, bigger injectors, milled heads for raised compression, and a good tune, 6 speed trans, headers.

Also Revving to 7500 is a bit much, Is the engines safe to 62-6400(which would only be when I do race it)

Any other mods or suggestion are greatly appreciated (I am still in the research stage, might not even go with this motor but it seems like a very good choice :thumbs: )

Jennabear - Thats some really good numbers what numbers do you think I could get with the mods listed above ^

At that RPM, to make 500rwhp on a 6.0L, you will need forced induction or nitrous.

EDIT: we have a customer that runs high 11s on a 6.0L RCSB with a moderate cam, headers, LS3 heads, LS3 manifold/throttle body- shifting at 6400 and he puts 402rwhp.

www.advancedinduction.com

These guys can make the ancient turd of an LT1 put down over 400rwhp from a stock shortblock, he started porting LS heads first. Read the description on the LS2 heads.

I have not used their LS stuff yet but they made my stock LT1 shortblock street/strip Caprice run 11s and is still streetable and even high teens for mileage.

I would look at good heads and cam and leave it at that.

Archived