Turn Off Traction Control And Stabilitrak

Disabling the traction control will not decrease the long slow power lag. That is a ECM programming characteristic. Get a Blackbear tune if you want that fixed.

+1 million here. The OP mentions a slow acceleration time in traffic, etc. This is the programming in the ECM. Do a Blackbear tune and you will be very amazed.

• 2 years later...

In my truck you can turn them both off. Push the button once to turn off traction control. Hold the button for 5 seconds to turn off traction control and stabilitrak.

I personally don't mind stabiltrak unless I'm screwing around but the traction control is a joke. Worthless in 4-wheel drive and it keeps my gov-lock from kicking in in 2-wheel.

Edited by speed_demon
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

I don't see why you wouldn't like the 2 systems, they are there to help the truck in some situations. I know mine once you put it in 4x4 it turns TC off. The reason it seems slow to take off is because GM has been using drive by wire for a few years now so it's not a cable going from the pedal to the throttle body.

Funny, I was reading this thread thinking when is someone going to actually answer the OP's question. Finally, the last post, someone does.

If you read the OP's first post he wanted to know how to disable the 2 systems without having to push the button everytime.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/27/2011 at 10:31 AM, drbob11 said:

Does anyone know how to disable the traction control and stabilitrak controls? They are worthless in my truck. Actually more of a danger hazzard than anything else. I want to turn them off permamently not just push the button. Any help would be great! Thanks guysI can take my foot off the gas just as easy as the computer but the computer is a lot slower.

Put it in park, turn the ignition to RUN, (but do not start the engine) apply the brake pedal, press the gas pedal to the floor and press and hold the TAS button for at least 6 seconds. release the tas button and both pedals. Turn off the ignition and wait a few seconds. The next time you start your vehicle, the TAS will not automatically come on.

4 hours ago, Caleb said:

Put it in park, turn the ignition to RUN, (but do not start the engine) apply the brake pedal, press the gas pedal to the floor and press and hold the TAS button for at least 6 seconds. release the tas button and both pedals. Turn off the ignition and wait a few seconds. The next time you start your vehicle, the TAS will not automatically come on.

I was suspicious, so I tried this, and it did not work on my 2018.

32 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

I was suspicious, so I tried this, and it did not work on my 2018.

Yeah, I believe it only works for late 90s early 2000s, I am not sure how to do it on the new ones.

• 3 years later...