Water Pump On 2004 2500 6.0

I have a 2004 6.0 2500 with about 70K on the clock. I have been smelling coolant for a little while now when I pull into the garage and shut the truck off. Now I am noticing a little puddling of coolant under where I believe the water pump is located. It is kind of hard to determine because of the HUGE fan shroud assembly. Anyway, assuming it is the water pump, is this a common issue on these trucks? Also about how much is a factory GM water pump?

Thanks in advance guys.

Could be one of the lines rotted out and is leaking. I had the entire assmebly replaced a couple years ago. My warranty covered it, but I think they were somewhere around $300 plus. I don't really remember. The pump was inside the holding tank and comes with the assembly.

I put a water pump on the wifes 2002 5.3 a few years back. Once you remove all the plastics, it looks like a standard small block chev underneath. Took me the same amount of time to change as the old 92's 350 water pump. The cost of the pump was like $75 and I sprung for a new T-stat and housing to go with it, while I was there... Check in the tech section, I know I found the how-to around here someplace.

--Mike

The water pump gaskets on the 5.3 are prone to leaking. If the 6.0 design is similar to the 5.3 it's actually really an easy and quick fix.

on the 6.0 the water pump and thermostat are one assembly. replaced on my 04 at about 180 k . it seems like gm replacement was around 200 dollars but been a few years ago. the only problem is it helps to have the special tool to remove the fan.

6 places this style GM water pump can leak.

The 2 hoses running to the heater core can be seeping

The radiotor hose to the thermostat housing can be seeping.

The other radiator hose could be seeping.

The thermostat cover to water pump seal could be leaking.

Waterpump to block gaskets could be leaking.

If this is still the original water pump then there is a circular plate on the back held on by 8mm bolts that could be leaking.

Also on the underside of the water pump there is a small hole in the casting kinda tucked under the pulley near the front this is a weephole and usually this is what I see leaking. In this case the waterpump MUST be replaced to stop it. It is a un-serviceable seal.

Get a good flashlight, go under the truck and there should be a perfect angle to see in that general area. Find out where it is leaking and go from there.

As far as actually changing it, it is very straight forward but removing the fan clutch is a bitch, and that tool at O rileys sucks and is generally worn beyond its useable state. I actually weld a piece of metal to the pulley then use a good crescent wrench to remove the clutch it works everytime but if you dont have a welder that idea is useless :eek: , I always use some non hardening sealant on the water pump bolts just in case.

Mitchell says on your 04 that the torque on the water pump bolts is 22lb.

Sorry about punctuation and spelling my browser still doesnt let me edit anything once its typed its typed, lol so im trying to be careful.

post-59918-1308191284_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, the R&R of the water pump books out per Mitchell at 1.8 hours for the job. The 5.3 and 6.0 are the same, and I think there is a secret to removing the fan clutch without the special tool...

My haynes manual recommends leaving the surpentine belt on until you get the fan nut broke loose. I used one of those rubber strap wrenches around the clutch fan pulley to hold it while I broke the nut loose with a large crescent wrench.

Archived