• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 denindc

denindc

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

Howdy Folks,

Okay, I am about to hook up a brake controller for our new 7x14 enclosed trailer. As I got into that area to expose the 4 wires I needed, I noticed the previous owner installed a cigarette lighter off of the Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block on BODY 3 fuse plug. He removed the fuse, if there was one, and directly connected to the block, wired to a module, then to cigarette lighter. In the 2007 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ, can anyone tell me what BODY 3 fuse powers and if there is a fuse installed, what size it is? I want to try to reverse engineer what he did...not sure what the module between the fuse block and the lighter does, so not sure what he did here and if he was powering something else too...The brake lights on the trailer do work. Not sure if they should work if they are not tied in off the engine compartment fuse block (The brake light and the trailer brake wire and posts not connected yet)...I can take a photo if that helps...As a side note, what do the BODY and HEADLINER fuses power anyways?

As always, thanks for the help.

Posted Image
DC in DC
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 LTZ Z71 Crew Cab NBS
WeatherTech Digital fit Floor Mats
Borja CatBack
Pamalu Bedliner (Imported from Hawaii)
BAKFlip F1 Tonneau Cover w/BakBox
DeeZee EZ Down Tailgate
iSimple ISGM571 iPod Input Device
Planned Mods: Black Bear Performance Update, New Intake Filter, Dam and Tube.

Posted Image

#2 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have no idea about the initial question, but I can offer this comment:
the trailer lights are fused and completely separate from the trailer brake controller. The trailer lights will work without the brake controller.

when you refer to the "Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block" - is that the block next to the driver's left foot or the one on the side of the dash? If so that block has no fuses in it. I'm curious as to what this "module" is. Could it be a relay? it's possible that he had it wired to Retained Accessory Power and full time power using the RAP to activate relay and turn on the device?

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#3 denindc

denindc

Enthusiast

• 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have no idea about the initial question, but I can offer this comment:
the trailer lights are fused and completely separate from the trailer brake controller. The trailer lights will work without the brake controller.

when you refer to the "Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block" - is that the block next to the driver's left foot or the one on the side of the dash? If so that block has no fuses in it. I'm curious as to what this "module" is. Could it be a relay? it's possible that he had it wired to Retained Accessory Power and full time power using the RAP to activate relay and turn on the device?

Yes the Center Instrument Panel is next to left foot. Yes, I miss spoke...no fuses. Confused myself by the name of the panel. I guess the question is: What harness if any plugs in here? The previous owner installed a 40A relay to this lighter adapter. Not sure what for and what he was powering and if it might be useful in the future.
Relay installed: http://www.jameco.co...10001_171460_-1

And yes, the brake lights will operate without controller. But the problem I am having is the controller I installed (Dexter Predator DX2) is not activating the brake lights when the brakes are applied manually or when the unit itself activates due to the reduction in vehicle momentum. I am going to test the wires tomorrow to check. Thanks for you feedback.

Edited by denindc, 20 June 2011 - 08:21 PM.

DC in DC
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 LTZ Z71 Crew Cab NBS
WeatherTech Digital fit Floor Mats
Borja CatBack
Pamalu Bedliner (Imported from Hawaii)
BAKFlip F1 Tonneau Cover w/BakBox
DeeZee EZ Down Tailgate
iSimple ISGM571 iPod Input Device
Planned Mods: Black Bear Performance Update, New Intake Filter, Dam and Tube.

Posted Image

#4 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

that panel is used for upfitters to add accessories. From within that panel you can get a Retained Accessory Power (RAP) from one pin and a few others will supply power fused elsewhere. The RAP pin is on a tiny fuse so you would use it only as an activation lead for the relay and use another pin to actually power the relay and thus the device. I have my radar detector hard wired to that panel so it comes on and off with the truck (if my radio is on, it is on). You could use it for a variety of 12v accessories (radar detector, gps, etc.)

A brake controller does not control the brake lights. The brake controller takes it's commands from the vehicles brake switch. The wire that connects to the brake lights activates the controller to tell it that you are attempting to slow and it will apply the trailer brakes as needed (according to how you set it up). The manual brake controller switch will not activate the brake lights. You would not be using the trailer's brakes to slow the vehicle, it would cook the brakes and be less effective, you would use that switch to take care of trailer sway or testing the brakes, so your foot would be activating the brakes on the truck and trailer at all other times.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users