How Much Can I Really Tow?

'09 Silverado 1500 with 4.8L, 4 speed tranny. The glove box code indicates a 3:42 gear ratio.

I am looking for a straight answer- everyone here has a different opinion! The fifth wheel is 6800 lbs dry weight, and I only want to tow it about 100 miles on the flatlands. Tow or no tow??

Thanks guys.

Weigh your truck, weigh for trailer, add them together. If that total is over the gross combined weight rating stamped on the door plate you're not good to go. That is completely different than will the truck do it. The truck probably would do it, but if something happened you could be civilly and criminally liable depending on what it is that happened, especially if you know you're overloaded.

So if you're overloaded it's up to you if you want to risk your house, property, income and going to jail. Ok, that's a worst case scenario, but that's a possibility.

Sounds like your going to keep asking the same question over and over till you find someone that says your fine. You need a bigger truck :thumbs: Not trying to sound like a butthole, but seriously... you need a bigger truck if thats the kind of trailer your looking at. 6800 lbs dry weight is about all the more I'd stick behind a 5.3L with 4.10 gears if you wanted to tow comfortably. Regardless of flat land or 100 miles at most.

I'd also add is it a one time thing or a few times a year? I wouldn't try it as something to do regular, or even a few times a year. If it was more like borrow my brother camper and use it this one time I probably would. May not be good advise but thats just me. I'd take it easy and be careful. I have a 5.3 4speed with 3.73 and pull a horse trailer with two horses in it loaded puts me around 5k pounds. It pulls it pretty well but I wouldn't want to put a lot more behind it very regular.

Our travel trailer (bumper pull) weighs about 6300 lbs loaded up (give or take), and have no problem with our 5.3/6spd/4.42. I have pulled the same trailer with my old 2k ecsb 4.8/4spd/3.73 (both 4x4) and did ok, but was slow starting up, or up hills.

That said, I think as mentioned already the problem is the hitch weight! When loaded up you may weigh as much as 8000lbs! That would probably be at least 1600-2000lbs on your rear axle!!!!!!

Even if it is one time a year I wouldn't do it. Even if you had the 5.3/6psd/3.42 combo.

Or in other words, NO TOW!

JMO!

Chris

Sounds like your going to keep asking the same question over and over till you find someone that says your fine. You need a bigger truck :thumbs: Not trying to sound like a butthole, but seriously... you need a bigger truck if thats the kind of trailer your looking at. 6800 lbs dry weight is about all the more I'd stick behind a 5.3L with 4.10 gears if you wanted to tow comfortably. Regardless of flat land or 100 miles at most.

I only asked the question once! I used to have a 2500HD, but traded it in on this 09.

Sounds like "the pros" recommend no tow- the local farm boys up here will tow anything with anything.

I'll take the pros advice, and use a buddy's 3/4 ton.

Colby,

Is your horse trailer a bumper pull, or 5r? As I mentioned, our trailer at about 6300 lbs I feel ok with our set up. May try to tweek the hitch a little more, and have the stock P rated tires. Biggest limit is the tires at this point for me. Though I have drove other set ups that the rear wiggled like someone who had a full bladder trying to make it the the next rest area! Tires were changed to lt's, and it was rock solid.

Once tires are replaced I am sure it will feel even better.

Chris

I only asked the question once! I used to have a 2500HD, but traded it in on this 09.

Sounds like "the pros" recommend no tow- the local farm boys up here will tow anything with anything.

I'll take the pros advice, and use a buddy's 3/4 ton.

I thought from your original post said you asked others, but I must have read it wrong... Sorry. :thumbs:

Archived