- - - - -

Ticking Sound When Accelerating

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Northward Bound

Northward Bound

Enthusiast

• 140 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra SLT Crew with All Terrain pkg.

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

2006 Sierra Z71 5.3L 72,000km. For over a year I've noticed a kind of ticking sound coming from under the truck when accelerating only. This only happens after the truck is warm and after driving for a while. I've had the truck to my GM dealership and tested and they said nothing was wrong, they tested my gas and said it scored perfect and I buy gas at various locations and the noise has been consistent. So I have been living with the noise until this past weekend when I tried letting my tank get almost to E and filled it up with a tank of premium gas. The gas was from Petro Canada and was 94 Octane with zero ethanol which is the 4th grade of gas some locations offer and I've been driving all weekend in various conditions and the noise is suddenly gone with this gas. Any ideas why? I've bought regular 87 octane gas from this same place may times.. I appreciate any and all replies and thank you very much in advance.. cheers, - Al

#2 G-Street

G-Street

Enthusiast

• 348 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:45 AM

Ticking sounds under acceleration only means 1 thing to me. An exhaust leak. Take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them check it from manifold to tailpipe. You could have a bad manifold gasket or maybe just a hole from rust, you never know. Anyway, that's your best bet.

99' Silverado Z71 5.3. 3" Body Lift, 16" American Racing wheels, 33.5" Firestone Destination A/T's, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Rhino Line. 240,000 miles and tickin'. 

#3 brainpause

brainpause

Enthusiast

• 595 posts
  • Name:Larry
  • Drives:2006 Silverado CC Z71

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Ticking sounds under acceleration only means 1 thing to me. An exhaust leak. Take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them check it from manifold to tailpipe. You could have a bad manifold gasket or maybe just a hole from rust, you never know. Anyway, that's your best bet.

I would have agreed with you until he said he tried higher octane gas. I believe he still would have the noise if it were an exhaust leak. :P

That said, I do not have any other offers.

Larry

Larry
Holly
Jessie Grace
Jamie Lyn
2006 Silverado CC Z71, 5.3L 3.42
Wait4mePerformance
Aeroforce Interceptor Pillar Gauge
Hayden Transmission Cooler
Putnam XDR Class V hitch

#4 Z71 AST

Z71 AST

Needs a Cheaper Hobby

• 2,026 posts
  • Drives:07 Silverado Classic

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

I agree with the exhaust leak. But the fact that it went away with an octane increas is interesteing.

Ide check the exhaust first, then work your way toward the more complicated resolutions.

2007 Z71 Classic Crew Cab

503DA16D-1F9F-41BA-A1B8-534C4697EFF6_zps

You wanna know whats on it? Just ask.

#5 WhiteDenali2010

WhiteDenali2010

Enthusiast

• 194 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

2006 Sierra Z71 5.3L 72,000km.....

OMG...mine is just a year old and Iīve already got 28000km on it :P .... should have the same milege as you next year...thatīs what happens when you become addicted driving a truck...should change my signature...the CLK ainīt the daily anymore, itīs the SIERRA

Edited by WhiteDenali2010, 03 July 2011 - 10:05 AM.

gallery_73393_2073_54061.jpg

2011 Mercedes-Benz ML550

2010 Sierra Denali (6" ProComp, 35x12,5xR20 Cooper STT / liftkit gone back to stock), Flowmaster 50, Leer 700

2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK 550 (gone)

1986 Mercedes-Benz G500 (offroad fun toy)

#6 Maverick Z71

Maverick Z71

Enthusiast

• 273 posts
  • Name:Bret
  • Drives:2009 Chevy Silverado CC Z71 4x4

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sounds like your engine may have been 'pinging' from detonation due to not enough octane in your fuel. Most of our trucks will run on 87 octane "regular" unleaded, but depending on your engine and the quality of your local fuel, you may need a higher octane ("midgrade" or "premium" unleaded) to avoid the 'pinging', especially in the hot summertime. Anything more than an occasional "ping" under hard acceleration could mean that your engine is being damaged.

Edited by Maverick Z71, 06 July 2011 - 11:03 AM.

Westbound and down, loaded up and truckin'; we're gonna do what they say can't be done.

#7 kdixer

kdixer

Enthusiast

• 696 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

You could have some carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. You might try plenty of fuel system cleaner or some sea foam in the fuel. You might pull the plugs and have a look at them. Make sure they look normal, no carbon buildup.
The intention of my posts are simply an expression of my personal opinion. If they offend you, let me go ahead and appologize now. If that is not good enough, why do you care what i think? You probably don't even know me anyway.

#8 Triki Dick

Triki Dick

Enthusiast

• 329 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have the same problem too. I believe it's an exhaust leak, coming from the donut leaving the manifold attaching to the exhaust. You only hear the pinging when its cold, when its warm you can't hear it. I had transmission flushed yesterday and he said there was a pinhole crack that he could't fix because the bolts were too tight.

Try that.

Posted Image

#9 slimjim2525

slimjim2525

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,144 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have the same problem too. I believe it's an exhaust leak, coming from the donut leaving the manifold attaching to the exhaust. You only hear the pinging when its cold, when its warm you can't hear it. I had transmission flushed yesterday and he said there was a pinhole crack that he could't fix because the bolts were too tight.

Try that.

You have an exhaust leak for sure probably from the manifold. These are worse when cold, then go away when warmed up. The op has a gas problem with not enough octane as his problem went away with premium fuel.

Try that.

2007 GMC Sierra 1500

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users