Ticking Sound When Accelerating

2006 Sierra Z71 5.3L 72,000km. For over a year I've noticed a kind of ticking sound coming from under the truck when accelerating only. This only happens after the truck is warm and after driving for a while. I've had the truck to my GM dealership and tested and they said nothing was wrong, they tested my gas and said it scored perfect and I buy gas at various locations and the noise has been consistent. So I have been living with the noise until this past weekend when I tried letting my tank get almost to E and filled it up with a tank of premium gas. The gas was from Petro Canada and was 94 Octane with zero ethanol which is the 4th grade of gas some locations offer and I've been driving all weekend in various conditions and the noise is suddenly gone with this gas. Any ideas why? I've bought regular 87 octane gas from this same place may times.. I appreciate any and all replies and thank you very much in advance.. cheers, - Al

Ticking sounds under acceleration only means 1 thing to me. An exhaust leak. Take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them check it from manifold to tailpipe. You could have a bad manifold gasket or maybe just a hole from rust, you never know. Anyway, that's your best bet.

Ticking sounds under acceleration only means 1 thing to me. An exhaust leak. Take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them check it from manifold to tailpipe. You could have a bad manifold gasket or maybe just a hole from rust, you never know. Anyway, that's your best bet.

I would have agreed with you until he said he tried higher octane gas. I believe he still would have the noise if it were an exhaust leak. :P

That said, I do not have any other offers.

Larry

I agree with the exhaust leak. But the fact that it went away with an octane increas is interesteing.

Ide check the exhaust first, then work your way toward the more complicated resolutions.

2006 Sierra Z71 5.3L 72,000km.....

OMG...mine is just a year old and I´ve already got 28000km on it :P .... should have the same milege as you next year...that´s what happens when you become addicted driving a truck...should change my signature...the CLK ain´t the daily anymore, it´s the SIERRA

Sounds like your engine may have been 'pinging' from detonation due to not enough octane in your fuel. Most of our trucks will run on 87 octane "regular" unleaded, but depending on your engine and the quality of your local fuel, you may need a higher octane ("midgrade" or "premium" unleaded) to avoid the 'pinging', especially in the hot summertime. Anything more than an occasional "ping" under hard acceleration could mean that your engine is being damaged.

You could have some carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. You might try plenty of fuel system cleaner or some sea foam in the fuel. You might pull the plugs and have a look at them. Make sure they look normal, no carbon buildup.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem too. I believe it's an exhaust leak, coming from the donut leaving the manifold attaching to the exhaust. You only hear the pinging when its cold, when its warm you can't hear it. I had transmission flushed yesterday and he said there was a pinhole crack that he could't fix because the bolts were too tight.

Try that.

I have the same problem too. I believe it's an exhaust leak, coming from the donut leaving the manifold attaching to the exhaust. You only hear the pinging when its cold, when its warm you can't hear it. I had transmission flushed yesterday and he said there was a pinhole crack that he could't fix because the bolts were too tight.

Try that.

You have an exhaust leak for sure probably from the manifold. These are worse when cold, then go away when warmed up. The op has a gas problem with not enough octane as his problem went away with premium fuel.

Try that.

Archived