2006 Sierra 1500 Rear Brakes And Emergency Brake

Buddy67Lincoln

Question

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with rear drum brakes of course. I replaced the factory brakes today at 65,000 miles. I bought Monroe brand shoes and slapped them on. I am having trouble stopping as sharply as I did before I replaced them. What happened and what needs adjusted???? I was told to drive in reverse to adjust the rear brakes and I did..no help there. No leaks that i can see and the brakes do work but not great. I touched them after a 6 mile drive and they were hot to the touch, both sided. They just feel mushy. I brake and the pedal seems to keep going a little further than it did before and stops 'softer'.

I also have no emergency brake now. I wanted to make sure it was ok to adjust it at this point and if that is normal after replacing rear brakes. It barely works at all. The pedal goes to the floor easily and does not wind up the e brake cable. Just seemed that it should not need adjusted after replacement but when I worked on the brakes the e brake cable does need to be taken off the shoes (through the long spring) so maybe it does require adjustment. I pulled the e brake cable out an inch on each side to get it through the new longer spring (not sure why the new brakes have a 3/4-1" longer spring than the factory). Once that was done I put it back together the way it was....now its barely working.

Thanks for the tips. Its due for inspection by the end of July (3 weeks) so I hope to have it adjusted y then or the inspection shop will have to do it. I just don't want to be driving on the newer front brakes too much if the rears are not doing their part.

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the help. I adjusted as you mentioned and the e brake is tight, the truck stops like new again. I appreciate the help. It also helps if you have a drum brake kit to help spin that star wheel. I have the kit and it comes with tools to pull the springs as well and those round type on other drums (not found on mine).

Sounds like air got into the system or the rear shoe linings have too much clearance with the drum. This can be adjusted by turning the star wheel so there is a slight drag with the drum and then turn the star wheel adjuster in opposite direction one or two clicks. That's the principle anyway, I don't have the actual specs. Your park brake will also work better after this.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with rear drum brakes of course. I replaced the factory brakes today at 65,000 miles. I bought Monroe brand shoes and slapped them on. I am having trouble stopping as sharply as I did before I replaced them. What happened and what needs adjusted???? I was told to drive in reverse to adjust the rear brakes and I did..no help there. No leaks that i can see and the brakes do work but not great. I touched them after a 6 mile drive and they were hot to the touch, both sided. They just feel mushy. I brake and the pedal seems to keep going a little further than it did before and stops 'softer'.

I also have no emergency brake now. I wanted to make sure it was ok to adjust it at this point and if that is normal after replacing rear brakes. It barely works at all. The pedal goes to the floor easily and does not wind up the e brake cable. Just seemed that it should not need adjusted after replacement but when I worked on the brakes the e brake cable does need to be taken off the shoes (through the long spring) so maybe it does require adjustment. I pulled the e brake cable out an inch on each side to get it through the new longer spring (not sure why the new brakes have a 3/4-1" longer spring than the factory). Once that was done I put it back together the way it was....now its barely working.

Thanks for the tips. Its due for inspection by the end of July (3 weeks) so I hope to have it adjusted y then or the inspection shop will have to do it. I just don't want to be driving on the newer front brakes too much if the rears are not doing their part.

Did you adjust the brakes after you installed them?

Sounds like air got into the system or the rear shoe linings have too much clearance with the drum. This can be adjusted by turning the star wheel so there is a slight drag with the drum and then turn the star wheel adjuster in opposite direction one or two clicks. That's the principle anyway, I don't have the actual specs. Your park brake will also work better after this.

Archived