1993 2500 454 Stops Running While Driving

adentel

Question

I have a 1993 2500 suburban with 7.4 L (454) that stops running WHILE driving down the road. The truck has low miles ( less than 78 ,000) and shows no "symptoms" ( no idiot lights , no leaks , no rough running). We only use the truck to pull a small camper( 22.5 ft). Driving down the expressway the truck just stops running with no warning -- like somebody shut the key off. The last time it happened it was a little different - pulling in to get gas it stopped running.With the exception of this last time we put it in neutral/park and turned the key back and started the truck like it never stopped running. The last time when it died at the gas station it wouldn't start right back up. We waited thinking it might be warm( the day was fairly hot but the temp gage was still around 190). After about 45 minutes we tried it again and nothing except we noticed you couldn't smell any gas with hood up.My husband opened the fuse box on the fire wall and found the fuse for the fuel pump , pulled it out and out it back. The truck started after this. Now we believe it is a fuel system issue but would like a more specific direction to move forward. Any and all help is welcomed!!

0 answers to this question

I have a 1993 2500 suburban with 7.4 L (454) that stops running WHILE driving down the road. The truck has low miles ( less than 78 ,000) and shows no "symptoms" ( no idiot lights , no leaks , no rough running). We only use the truck to pull a small camper( 22.5 ft). Driving down the expressway the truck just stops running with no warning -- like somebody shut the key off. The last time it happened it was a little different - pulling in to get gas it stopped running.With the exception of this last time we put it in neutral/park and turned the key back and started the truck like it never stopped running. The last time when it died at the gas station it wouldn't start right back up. We waited thinking it might be warm( the day was fairly hot but the temp gage was still around 190). After about 45 minutes we tried it again and nothing except we noticed you couldn't smell any gas with hood up.My husband opened the fuse box on the fire wall and found the fuse for the fuel pump , pulled it out and out it back. The truck started after this. Now we believe it is a fuel system issue but would like a more specific direction to move forward. Any and all help is welcomed!!

Next time this happens,you need to check for 3 things at least to give you some direction to go in.....First remove the fuel cap listen for the fuel pump to run in the fuel tank,second pull a plug wire....check for spark....remove the air cleaner lid and since this is a TBI style fuel injection system,see if there is any fuel being sprayed into the engine by the fuel injectors.Then report back your observations,The Common issues back in the day were fuel pumps,The tank sending unit pass-thru connector getting overheated(poor connections) to the fuel pump.Pick-up coil and ignition modules.Ignition coils.Occasional PCM but it was very rare.Could also be as simple as a distributor cap & rotor.If I were to guess here the way it shuts off sounds like a pick up coil and igniton module.Pulling the fuel pump may have been a coincidence,unless you have a poor connection there at the fuse block,sounds like something cooled down allowing the restart like a ignition module/pick up coil.

Next time this happens,you need to check for 3 things at least to give you some direction to go in.....First remove the fuel cap listen for the fuel pump to run in the fuel tank,second pull a plug wire....check for spark....remove the air cleaner lid and since this is a TBI style fuel injection system,see if there is any fuel being sprayed into the engine by the fuel injectors.Then report back your observations,The Common issues back in the day were fuel pumps,The tank sending unit pass-thru connector getting overheated(poor connections) to the fuel pump.Pick-up coil and ignition modules.Ignition coils.Occasional PCM but it was very rare.Could also be as simple as a distributor cap & rotor.If I were to guess here the way it shuts off sounds like a pick up coil and igniton module.Pulling the fuel pump may have been a coincidence,unless you have a poor connection there at the fuse block,sounds like something cooled down allowing the restart like a ignition module/pick up coil.

Archived