Hvac Blower Motor Resistor And Harness

Hey guys its been a while since i've ventured over to these parts and I'm not sure if anyone else is aware but GM dealers are now fixing the blower motor resistor and wiring harness free of charge now a days but there are a few stipulations.

1. If they were changed already by yourself or anybody, they will not perform this service for free.

2. They will only fix for free IF and only if you have an issue with yours. If yours is working properly dont bother.

Two buddies and me all have/had this problem. Well my one friend got a bulletin in the mail saying to bring it in as it was a recall for being a fire hazard. After talking to the local dealers, it wasn't bogus. We all got ours fixed free of charge. So if anyone is having problems with their 03 to 07 (classic) blower motors call and schedule an appointment.

If this was already discussed, then I apologize for not searching.

#10240: Special Coverage Adjustment-Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional or Inoperative - (May 9, 2011)

Subject: 10240 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional or Inoperative

Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. If any of these were to occur, the relay resistor module or wiring connector could overheat and the HVAC blower may not function on certain blower settings or may be inoperative. This may be accompanied by a burning smell or smoke.

Special Policy Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new blower motor resistor and resistor module connector. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 10, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 10, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual HVAC (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

Connector, SW-Pwr St Adjr

Resistor, Blo Mot (A/C & Htr)

Resistor, Blo Mot (Heater Only)

Service Procedure

Note: The resistor module connector and blower motor resistor will need to be replaced if one or more of the symptoms below is present.

• The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings

• A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle

• The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

Determine if one or more of the above symptoms is present. If required, refer to HVAC diagnostic information in SI. Refer to Resistor Module Connector and Blower Motor Resistor Replacement in this bulletin if one or more of the symptoms are present. Other HVAC repairs are NOT covered in this product safety special coverage bulletin.

Resistor Module Connector and Blower Motor Resistor Replacement

•Remove the blower fuses (Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses).

•Lower the close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.

•Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.

Note: Connector replacement is required even if the connector was replaced on a previous service repair.

•Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

•Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.

Note: Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

•Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.

•Install the new blower motor resistor.

•Reinstall the fuses. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.

•Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.

Customer Reimbursement

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs for the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer May 31, 2012, unless otherwise specified by State law. Repairs must have occurred within 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first.

All reasonable customer paid receipts should be considered for reimbursement. The amount to be reimbursed will be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized General Motors dealer.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

• A completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form. This form is mailed to the customer or can be obtained from the dealer.

• The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.

• VIN, original paid receipt confirming the amount of repair expense(s) that were not reimbursed, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

For US dealers:

If a reimbursement request is denied, dealers MUST provide the customer with an explanation, in writing, as to why the request was denied. GM expects all reimbursement requests to be properly resolved within 30 days of receipt. If the denial was due to missing documents, the customer can resubmit when the missing documents are obtained, as long as it is still within the allowed reimbursement period.

#10240: Special Coverage Adjustment-Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional or Inoperative - (May 9, 2011)

Wouldn't you know it........ I just bought the parts ($75) and di this myself about 2 months ago..... :cheers:

Wouldn't you know it........ I just bought the parts ($75) and di this myself about 2 months ago..... :cheers:

If you have your receipt you can get reimbursed from your dealer.

I've been waiting for this to come thru. My understanding was that this was for Canadian market only.....I called GM and complained that it should be expanded to US market being it was an issue here also. Apparently, others have complained, or they were watching to see what was happening in the US.

• 3 months later...

So this morning I drove to work, thought my blower sounded a little loud but shrugged it off.. For lunch i go to start my truck, and its absolutely dead! I'm like wtf this battery is one year old! So i got her jumped, driving home to warm up from standing in the rain, and realize that my blower for heat is blowing nonstop on high and i cant turn it off!

So i got home, unhooked battery and sure enough it shut off. Did some research online and found its the resistor. I got the tools , unplugged the little gremlin, and now its all good except for no heat.

I found this thread and printed it out and took it into the dealer and they said they would cover it under this special campaign. But i have to wait till monday :(

Only other thing was is my truck is an automatic climate control , not manual... So hopefully they wont deny coverage because of this . It is definately the resistor tho because i could smell burning and it would not shut off after the truck was off.

EDIT;

The more i'm looking online , and seeying they say manual only... unless the heavy duty heater (c42) is the automatic that is in my truck...?? i'm gonna check my codes and see ..

Edited by 06Z71Silvy

So i got the old one out of my truck and it looks a bit different from what i have seen online...

Heres the one that came out of my truck..

PB290138.jpg

I went to advance auto and he said that this one would work..

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Blower-Motor-Resistor-BWD_20975676-P_861_R|GRPSESWAMS___

It looks different tho in the stock picture, but he said it might be a universal picture or just the new style but guaranteed it would work. Its on order and will be there tomorrow when i get out of work.. hopefully it will work. anyone have insight with this part?

So i got the old one out of my truck and it looks a bit different from what i have seen online...

Heres the one that came out of my truck..

PB290138.jpg

I went to advance auto and he said that this one would work..

http://shop.advancea...R|GRPSESWAMS___

It looks different tho in the stock picture, but he said it might be a universal picture or just the new style but guaranteed it would work. Its on order and will be there tomorrow when i get out of work.. hopefully it will work. anyone have insight with this part?

Something doesn't look right there........ If I were you, I'd wait until the dealer looks at it.

The manual A/C model is a lot different. If I remember correctly (which is unlikely) mine had about 6 wires coming out of it. The issue was with the wiring and not really with the resister on the models that are effected by the service bulletin. The wire get so hot that they melt the connector and the wires short out inside the connector.

i was hoping to not take it in monday because i know they will try and charge me a whole lot more than 60-80...

I did end up finding the exact replacement on amazon, but i would have to wait for them to ship it.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-80906-Control-Module-Kit/dp/B0016IQYL4/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Silverado%201500|491&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Chevrolet|47&Year=2006|2006&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=001

Are you saying that the harness that is in the truck now is shorted?

I honestly do not trust this dealer at all. My original dealer i bought the truck from closed after gm shut down a bunch of dealers.. So thats out.

I'll say.. Mine has the harness in the truck that has 3 wires (black purple and red i believe) and then the harness that off the resistor has purple and black.

That 7 wire harness would not fit mine at all.

The one the guy at advance ordered me looks like yours with that different fin design that looks more like a circuit board. but hew said it should have the right harness... ill find out tomorrow , if its not , ill be ordering the one from amazon asap.

The cold weather is starting to move in and my dad can only lend me his truck so long...

Yea that looks like the exact one i need. I found it on amazon for $81 and the company shows expedited shipping 1-3 day for only $5.99 So i thibk im just going to go ahead and order it since i know the one from advance auto is wrong now. The picture shows the 7pin harness and i know thats wrong. I'm just going to have to return that one. thanx for the help. I hope this fixes it. Were you experiencing same probs i did? burning smll, running after truck off? Mine ran for probably 5 hours or so until the battery died. I smelled something very warm.. hope the fan is ok..

Yea that looks like the exact one i need. I found it on amazon for $81 and the company shows expedited shipping 1-3 day for only $5.99 So i thibk im just going to go ahead and order it since i know the one from advance auto is wrong now. The picture shows the 7pin harness and i know thats wrong. I'm just going to have to return that one. thanx for the help. I hope this fixes it. Were you experiencing same probs i did? burning smll, running after truck off? Mine ran for probably 5 hours or so until the battery died. I smelled something very warm.. hope the fan is ok..

Yep.....same problem...... just be sure that whatever you order comes with a new harness. When I bought mine, this was the only company that I found that had the new style harness (with the correct wires) the ones that I found at parts stores and amazon didn't include the harness..

BTW..... be sure to pull the blower fuse until you complete the new installation. One of those wires is hot all the time (as you found out). If it touches something, it will blow that fuse.

Edited by wavery

Any idea which fuse it is? I wont be driving the truck tomorrow, but need to get trans fluid changed thurs , so i will have to pull before then.

I can look it up in the manual tomorrow if not. Im guessing there is just and hvac fuse tho.

I ended up ordering the exact replacement off amazon. If it as good for 6 years, it should be good for another 5-6..

Edited by 06Z71Silvy