Vortex 4.8 Vs 5.3

Vortec :dunno:

i test drove a 5.3 when i bought my truck and i noticed a difference, but it was extremely subtle. nothing i'd write home about (given the amount of time i had with the truck anyway). best way to see is to go test drive one and see for yourself. if you're looking for more power out of your 4.8 you should consider a Black Bear tune. a very popular option here on gm-trucks, but i'm recommending it blindly since i don't have a tune myself.

HP numbers are close, but the torque numbers are much further apart. IF you tow anything, the 5.3 will outshine the 4.8... but if you don't.. as mentioned above, it's a subtle difference for everyday driving.

Im getting up to 24 mpg at 60mph with my 5.3 AFM. It must be doing something. Actually, I have a ScanGuage hooked up and can tell that at around a 48% engine load the cylinders drop off and the fuel consumption drops off significantly.

For towing, I strap a 8000lb 30 ft travel trailer to mine around a 3rd of the time, and it has no issues with it.

5.3 will out tow a 4.8....no replacement for displacement

from what i've read online the 4.8 is a decent platform to make a speedy street/track truck...as the 4.8 is a tad cheaper and revs up quicker then the 5.3 :dunno:

There are guys running 700hp on boost with the 4.8's on a totally stock bottom end with some minor head work. When i had my '00 RC Stepside silverado with the 4.8 and 5 speed it was quick for a fullsize truck. i actually got next to a Silverado SS and was able to hold him at my rear bumper until 75-80mph when we let off. My new truck has the 5.3 and it has better power when passing and more grunt for towing but overall the engines were very similar in terms of mileage(got about 2-3 mpg's better with the 4.8) but when towing the 5.3 has a better pull. Also with mine now i have the extended cab which overall the truck is heavier so the 5.3 is a better option with the added weight. I can imagine a 5.3 coupled with that 5 speed in the '00 truck would have been a stout setup :dunno:

I have no complaints with my 4.8 Ext. Cab GMT-800. When everybody around here was complaining years ago about ticking/knocking and oil consumption in their GMT-800 5.3's I didn't have any issues at all. Could be just a coincidence. "To have AFM or not, that is the question..." That made me chuckle good.

Archived