Kudos! To State Farm!

brainpause

I got a large postcard from my State Farm saying that they'd pay for 12 months of Onstar. I figured there was a catch, but I pressed the blue button anyway.

No catch! I told then I was interested in the State Farm package, and she knew right away what I was asking about. She did try to get me to buy minutes, and also put a credit card on file, but I turned down both, and no pressure was given.

:dunno:

This is part of some State Farm insurance program with OnStar. When you accept this offer, you are giving State Farm permission to monitor the milage driven per year. If you drive under 10,000 miles a year, then your savings is like another 10% off your insurance. The more miles you drive, the less the discount (if any). The drawback is, if you drive a lot of miles per year, State Farm can raise your rates based on how many miles you drive a year. I do use State Farm (their prices are great & my agent is awesome), but personally I would pass on this offer. I don't want my mileage monitored and god only knows what else will be monitored in a couple of years. Go take a defensive driving class in your area and then submit that to State Farm, you'll save almost as much.

I've had State Farm for almost 30 years and have been very happy with them for the most part. My agent already has my wifes car enrolled in this program. It only gets driven 6-7000 miles a year. The truck gets driven about 15,000 so it doesn't qualify.

This is part of some State Farm insurance program with OnStar. When you accept this offer, you are giving State Farm permission to monitor the milage driven per year. If you drive under 10,000 miles a year, then your savings is like another 10% off your insurance. The more miles you drive, the less the discount (if any). The drawback is, if you drive a lot of miles per year, State Farm can raise your rates based on how many miles you drive a year. I do use State Farm (their prices are great & my agent is awesome), but personally I would pass on this offer. I don't want my mileage monitored and god only knows what else will be monitored in a couple of years. Go take a defensive driving class in your area and then submit that to State Farm, you'll save almost as much.

I thought about all that. It is only driven about 7k per year, so .maybe I'll get a discount.

As for "being monitored," if Big Brother wants to monitor my driving habits or anything else, He won't ask permission. He'll just do it. I'd be a pretty boring story for them.

Larry

i've been with statefarm for 15 years and they've been great to me. about every 3 years i shop around for lower prices but no other company can match them (probably due to the discounts i get for being a long-term customer). this seems like a cool offer, but in the free year i had onstar i didn't use it once and i still haven't found myself in a situation where i thought "i wish i had onstar right now." but i suppose it's like insurance...hardly ever need it but when you do you're glad you have it.

Not to highjack the thread

But I just got a letter from State Farm asking about how many miles one of our cars it driven yearly. I've gotten them before from them and they seem like the only insurance company that does this (at least the ones that I've had). This is the only car that is though them and doesn't have on star

My question is with them offering this, it seems possible onstar would provide reports of usage.

The only time state farm has requested milage checks is when I had 3 vehicles and one of the designated as "low milage" vehicle. At one time I had my old truck under this. I only drove it about 8K miles a year. My mother in law would call (as she works for my agent) and ask what my milage was. Wasnt a huge discount but any is better than none.

i've been with statefarm for 15 years and they've been great to me. about every 3 years i shop around for lower prices but no other company can match them (probably due to the discounts i get for being a long-term customer). this seems like a cool offer, but in the free year i had onstar i didn't use it once and i still haven't found myself in a situation where i thought "i wish i had onstar right now." but i suppose it's like insurance...hardly ever need it but when you do you're glad you have it.

I have been in that situation. It wasn't a dire emergency, but I needed a phone and didn't have one. I called OnStar, but they wouldn't let me purchase any minutes without being an OnStar customer.

This situation is very likely not to happen again. But I'll have it if I do.

I like having OnStar just because Silverados are often broken into and stolen, or at least they used to be high on the list.

Any way I look at it, Free is Free, and I don't care much about the strings that may or may not be attached. What they will find is that I am honest about my mileage driven. What a concept! Honesty!

A month ago, my wife's Highlander was hit in a parking garage. No note was left. She filed for repairs with State Farm, and they sent us a check. Then, somebody's conscience got them, and left a note. The person has written us a check for the same amount. We have already sent the money back to State Farm. We could have kept it and no one would have known.

Again, Honesty! What a concept!

Larry

Archived