13 replies to this topic

#1 brainpause

brainpause

Enthusiast

• 595 posts
  • Name:Larry
  • Drives:2006 Silverado CC Z71

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

I got a large postcard from my State Farm saying that they'd pay for 12 months of Onstar. I figured there was a catch, but I pressed the blue button anyway.

No catch! I told then I was interested in the State Farm package, and she knew right away what I was asking about. She did try to get me to buy minutes, and also put a credit card on file, but I turned down both, and no pressure was given.

:dunno:

Larry
Holly
Jessie Grace
Jamie Lyn
2006 Silverado CC Z71, 5.3L 3.42
Wait4mePerformance
Aeroforce Interceptor Pillar Gauge
Hayden Transmission Cooler
Putnam XDR Class V hitch

#2 Turbo810

Turbo810

Enthusiast

• 215 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2011 LTZ, Z71 6.2L ext. cab

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

This is the first I have heard of this. I wonder if I will try one of these cards.
Posted Image

#3 tanked_darren

tanked_darren

Industrial Mechanic

• 2,334 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC SIERRA, 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:42 AM

Once they have you card number they renew without asking. Beware.
2007 GMT-900 GMC 1500 W/T 4.8L V-8 2wd auto 4L60E, 3.23 gear ratio
Reg. Cab, 6'6" Box, BLACK
Added myself: GM fog light kit, DIC panel, OGM-1, Camera Source Back-up Cam, Sirius dock.
Added otherwise: Leer Canopy. Linex bedliner+over-rail.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door, 2.2L OHV, 4T40e, Kenwood Excelon 9990HD, Sirius dock, Bass Car! Gas saver for work as well.

#4 johnnyz71

johnnyz71

Enthusiast

• 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

This is part of some State Farm insurance program with OnStar. When you accept this offer, you are giving State Farm permission to monitor the milage driven per year. If you drive under 10,000 miles a year, then your savings is like another 10% off your insurance. The more miles you drive, the less the discount (if any). The drawback is, if you drive a lot of miles per year, State Farm can raise your rates based on how many miles you drive a year. I do use State Farm (their prices are great & my agent is awesome), but personally I would pass on this offer. I don't want my mileage monitored and god only knows what else will be monitored in a couple of years. Go take a defensive driving class in your area and then submit that to State Farm, you'll save almost as much.

#5 Daryl Z71

Daryl Z71

Like A Rock

• 4,490 posts
  • Name:Daryl
  • Drives:2006 Silverado Z71

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

Theres always a catch with State Farm. In my experience they are the worst Insurance Company for trying to find ways to squeeze more money out of you.

daryl_zps58e67fa8.png

2006 Silverado Z71 - 232,000 Miles and Counting...

#6 Stevens11

Stevens11

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2011 GMC Sierra Crewcab 6.2L

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

I've had State Farm for almost 30 years and have been very happy with them for the most part. My agent already has my wifes car enrolled in this program. It only gets driven 6-7000 miles a year. The truck gets driven about 15,000 so it doesn't qualify.

Posted Image

Storm Gray TRUCK CLUB: Member #1
2011 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab 6.2L with NHT and 3.73 gears

Visit My Website

Current truck:
Denali Grill, 2" RC Leveling kit, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels w/ 305/50r20 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires, Blackbear tuned, Extang Full Tilt Bed cover, GMC Bedrug, 15% Tint, and Custom Dynamics light bar.

Previous trucks:
2007 Sierra 6.0 Vmax crewcab 4x4, 275/55r20's Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Denali Grill, Bedrug, Extang Full Tilt Tonneau Cover, Blackbear performance Custom tune
2003 Silverado 5.3L extended cab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker lift, 315/75r16 BFG tires, Goodmark Cowl hood, Billet grill, K&N 77-Series intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Wait4me PCM tune
2001 S10 Crewcab 4.3L 4x4; 3" body lift, 31" BFG K/O tires, Flowmaster 50-series exhaust, K&N 63-series intake, relocated IAT sensor, E-fans, TB Spacer, Jet stage 2 chip with B&M shift improver

#7 brainpause

brainpause

Enthusiast

• 595 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

This is part of some State Farm insurance program with OnStar. When you accept this offer, you are giving State Farm permission to monitor the milage driven per year. If you drive under 10,000 miles a year, then your savings is like another 10% off your insurance. The more miles you drive, the less the discount (if any). The drawback is, if you drive a lot of miles per year, State Farm can raise your rates based on how many miles you drive a year. I do use State Farm (their prices are great & my agent is awesome), but personally I would pass on this offer. I don't want my mileage monitored and god only knows what else will be monitored in a couple of years. Go take a defensive driving class in your area and then submit that to State Farm, you'll save almost as much.

I thought about all that. It is only driven about 7k per year, so .maybe I'll get a discount.

As for "being monitored," if Big Brother wants to monitor my driving habits or anything else, He won't ask permission. He'll just do it. I'd be a pretty boring story for them.

Larry

Larry
Holly
Jessie Grace
Jamie Lyn
Wait4mePerformance
Putnam XDR Class V hitch

#8 Porter_

Porter_

Enthusiast

• 961 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

i've been with statefarm for 15 years and they've been great to me. about every 3 years i shop around for lower prices but no other company can match them (probably due to the discounts i get for being a long-term customer). this seems like a cool offer, but in the free year i had onstar i didn't use it once and i still haven't found myself in a situation where i thought "i wish i had onstar right now." but i suppose it's like insurance...hardly ever need it but when you do you're glad you have it.
2011 Ram 1500 4WD CC Big Horn 5.7L
2008 Sierra 1500 4WD CC SL 4.8L SOLD
Posted Image

#9 rv245

rv245

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

Not to highjack the thread

But I just got a letter from State Farm asking about how many miles one of our cars it driven yearly. I've gotten them before from them and they seem like the only insurance company that does this (at least the ones that I've had). This is the only car that is though them and doesn't have on star

My question is with them offering this, it seems possible onstar would provide reports of usage.

#10 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,427 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

The only time state farm has requested milage checks is when I had 3 vehicles and one of the designated as "low milage" vehicle. At one time I had my old truck under this. I only drove it about 8K miles a year. My mother in law would call (as she works for my agent) and ask what my milage was. Wasnt a huge discount but any is better than none.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#11 brainpause

brainpause

Enthusiast

• 595 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

i've been with statefarm for 15 years and they've been great to me. about every 3 years i shop around for lower prices but no other company can match them (probably due to the discounts i get for being a long-term customer). this seems like a cool offer, but in the free year i had onstar i didn't use it once and i still haven't found myself in a situation where i thought "i wish i had onstar right now." but i suppose it's like insurance...hardly ever need it but when you do you're glad you have it.

I have been in that situation. It wasn't a dire emergency, but I needed a phone and didn't have one. I called OnStar, but they wouldn't let me purchase any minutes without being an OnStar customer.

This situation is very likely not to happen again. But I'll have it if I do.

I like having OnStar just because Silverados are often broken into and stolen, or at least they used to be high on the list.

Any way I look at it, Free is Free, and I don't care much about the strings that may or may not be attached. What they will find is that I am honest about my mileage driven. What a concept! Honesty!

A month ago, my wife's Highlander was hit in a parking garage. No note was left. She filed for repairs with State Farm, and they sent us a check. Then, somebody's conscience got them, and left a note. The person has written us a check for the same amount. We have already sent the money back to State Farm. We could have kept it and no one would have known.

Again, Honesty! What a concept!

Larry

Larry
Holly
Jessie Grace
Jamie Lyn
Wait4mePerformance
Putnam XDR Class V hitch

#12 Carder

Carder

Turbo Powaaaaa!

• 2,182 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Drives:2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have USAA, I dont think there is any insurance comp. that can compete with them overall.

Main ride: 2013 Vee-Dub GTI

Other ride: 1994 atoyoT MR2 Jap Spec G-Limited

#13 brainpause

brainpause

Enthusiast

• 595 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

I have USAA, I dont think there is any insurance comp. that can compete with them overall.

Maybe noont, but I don't qualify.

Larry
Holly
Jessie Grace
Jamie Lyn
Wait4mePerformance
Putnam XDR Class V hitch

#14 androgelrx

androgelrx

Enthusiast

• 268 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Next best thing to USAA is Amica Mutual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users