Blend Door Actuator Replaced

History: 2004 model 2500 HD 130K miles.

For 40K miles it makes a noise from under the dash. No problems...just abviously a groink groink groink when the a/c is running. About 2 months ago it quit making the noise...YAY! Later on however I am cruising along all happy and stuff and HOLY SMOKES batman it is blowing HOT air out of the drivers side vent. Nice and chilly on the passenger side. Bro-in-law says his does same thing, turn off the truck and restart it and it will reset and go back to cooling. Roger that it works, for a little while...maybe an hour maybe 3 days and then Roasting Capn again. Toss it in neutral, shut off motor, restart...back to cooling.

Dealer says: It is the drivers side blend door actuator. He says he CAN reset the computer, but that rarely fixes the problem. He says: CHANGE THE DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR. SO I do.... I change the driver's side blend door actuator and follow the computer reset procedure. I am all proud of myself....only cost me a hundred beans to get the new actuator la la la HOLY COW it's blowin me down again! Alllll hot air. The on and off trick works and resets it..... but dang boy.... is it possible that the PASSENGER side actuator is controlling the drivers side? I doubt it too...

I have read enough on the subject to ask..... Does anybody know the real deal here? The 100% guaranteed fix? The holy grail?

On hot and sweaty skipper really wants to know

• 3 weeks later...
History: 2004 model 2500 HD 130K miles.

For 40K miles it makes a noise from under the dash. No problems...just abviously a groink groink groink when the a/c is running. About 2 months ago it quit making the noise...YAY! Later on however I am cruising along all happy and stuff and HOLY SMOKES batman it is blowing HOT air out of the drivers side vent. Nice and chilly on the passenger side. Bro-in-law says his does same thing, turn off the truck and restart it and it will reset and go back to cooling. Roger that it works, for a little while...maybe an hour maybe 3 days and then Roasting Capn again. Toss it in neutral, shut off motor, restart...back to cooling.

Dealer says: It is the drivers side blend door actuator. He says he CAN reset the computer, but that rarely fixes the problem. He says: CHANGE THE DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR. SO I do.... I change the driver's side blend door actuator and follow the computer reset procedure. I am all proud of myself....only cost me a hundred beans to get the new actuator la la la HOLY COW it's blowin me down again! Alllll hot air. The on and off trick works and resets it..... but dang boy.... is it possible that the PASSENGER side actuator is controlling the drivers side? I doubt it too...

I have read enough on the subject to ask..... Does anybody know the real deal here? The 100% guaranteed fix? The holy grail?

On hot and sweaty skipper really wants to know

Are you sure your replaced the right actuator? Are you sure you didn't replace the passenger side actuator?

• 9 months later...

I did the passenger actuator recently. It was really easy. You could also pull the bad one and turn the knob manually so it blows cold till you have the time.

Archived