Blend Door Actuator Replaced

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CapnDean

CapnDean

• 322 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

History: 2004 model 2500 HD 130K miles.

For 40K miles it makes a noise from under the dash. No problems...just abviously a groink groink groink when the a/c is running. About 2 months ago it quit making the noise...YAY! Later on however I am cruising along all happy and stuff and HOLY SMOKES batman it is blowing HOT air out of the drivers side vent. Nice and chilly on the passenger side. Bro-in-law says his does same thing, turn off the truck and restart it and it will reset and go back to cooling. Roger that it works, for a little while...maybe an hour maybe 3 days and then Roasting Capn again. Toss it in neutral, shut off motor, restart...back to cooling.

Dealer says: It is the drivers side blend door actuator. He says he CAN reset the computer, but that rarely fixes the problem. He says: CHANGE THE DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR. SO I do.... I change the driver's side blend door actuator and follow the computer reset procedure. I am all proud of myself....only cost me a hundred beans to get the new actuator la la la HOLY COW it's blowin me down again! Alllll hot air. The on and off trick works and resets it..... but dang boy.... is it possible that the PASSENGER side actuator is controlling the drivers side? I doubt it too...

I have read enough on the subject to ask..... Does anybody know the real deal here? The 100% guaranteed fix? The holy grail?

On hot and sweaty skipper really wants to know
2001 GMC Sierra SLE Ext 4.8 170K & counting.
2004 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3 120K & counting
2007 1500 LTZ Silverado 5.3 CC sold off at 40K
2004 GMC 2500HD 6.0 CC 120K

#2 Mowerpan

Mowerpan

Enthusiast

• 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

History: 2004 model 2500 HD 130K miles.

For 40K miles it makes a noise from under the dash. No problems...just abviously a groink groink groink when the a/c is running. About 2 months ago it quit making the noise...YAY! Later on however I am cruising along all happy and stuff and HOLY SMOKES batman it is blowing HOT air out of the drivers side vent. Nice and chilly on the passenger side. Bro-in-law says his does same thing, turn off the truck and restart it and it will reset and go back to cooling. Roger that it works, for a little while...maybe an hour maybe 3 days and then Roasting Capn again. Toss it in neutral, shut off motor, restart...back to cooling.

Dealer says: It is the drivers side blend door actuator. He says he CAN reset the computer, but that rarely fixes the problem. He says: CHANGE THE DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR. SO I do.... I change the driver's side blend door actuator and follow the computer reset procedure. I am all proud of myself....only cost me a hundred beans to get the new actuator la la la HOLY COW it's blowin me down again! Alllll hot air. The on and off trick works and resets it..... but dang boy.... is it possible that the PASSENGER side actuator is controlling the drivers side? I doubt it too...

I have read enough on the subject to ask..... Does anybody know the real deal here? The 100% guaranteed fix? The holy grail?

On hot and sweaty skipper really wants to know

Are you sure your replaced the right actuator? Are you sure you didn't replace the passenger side actuator?

#3 C/K Man

C/K Man

Enthusiast

• 333 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

The driver's side actuator is on the bottom of the HVAC case, the passenger side actuator is on top, accessible only through the dash (remove the radio and HVAC controls). Sounds like your problem might be the HVAC controller.

Edited by C/K Man, 11 September 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#4 scsierra

scsierra

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Drives:2004 Sierra

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Did you ever get any further with this problem. I am experiencing the exact same problem and I am looking for someone who finds the "real solution".

#5 05chevy2500

05chevy2500

Enthusiast

• 125 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Drives:'05 Chevy 2500HD, '53 Willys CJ3B

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

I did the passenger actuator recently. It was really easy. You could also pull the bad one and turn the knob manually so it blows cold till you have the time.
2nd owner 249k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here