Power Folding Mirror Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1badc5

1badc5

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

I have a 2008 LTZ with power folding mirrors. The drivers side stop working (will not fold). Do I have to replace the entire mirror or can the motor be replaced.
Is there a DYI on the forum that shows how to do this? Thanks

#2 Blackout07

Blackout07

Sometimes there's justice. Sometimes there's just us.

• 4,379 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:07 Silverado 4x4

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I took the mirror apart on my wife's Tahoe, for the same issue, and it looked like you could probably swap it out, but I was told by the stealership that you can't replace just the motor. She broke the damn glass in it too, so I just bought a whole new mirror.

Edited by Blackout07, 25 August 2011 - 10:53 AM.

4c2aa7d2-4666-4a5a-a00f-0b17d4c5fb7b_zps

#3 GMcarnut

GMcarnut

Enthusiast

• 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hey guys,

I was under the impression that you COULD indeed just replace the motor, so I suspect that the stealership was most likely just trying to extort you good sir :rolleyes: Side view mirror replacements are about $330-400 from the stealership and $230-300 at even OEM parts sites like gmpartsgiant.com so let's hope that you don't have to end up replacing the entire assembly.

Anywhoo, here is the procedure for replacing the side view mirrors on the LTZ:

1) Push the bottom of the mirror at the point furthest from the door while grabbing the upper inboard point of the mirror.

2) Pull the mirror glass with light pressure until it comes loose.

3) Detach the electrical connector (if equipped) and remove the mirror.

Posted Image

Posted Image

4) Remove the screws securing the mirror motor. Detach the electrical connector and remove it from the vehicle.

5) Installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the mirror glass, apply light pressure while pushing downward and inward until it locks in place.

#4 1badc5

1badc5

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

wow, thats great. Thanks. Any idea what the motor part number might be?

#5 hrspwr

hrspwr

Enthusiast

• 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Is this the same process to take the glass off for a gmt-800?
'06 Sierra CCSB 5.3L Z71 - 20" painted silver tahoe wheels Denali HID (retrofited by me) headlights
'86 Camaro IROC 350 Vortec TPI - Few mods, runs 13.302 @ 104mph on a street tire

#6 Z71_Denali

Z71_Denali

Enthusiast

• 858 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra Z71 Denali

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

go to gmpartsdirect.com
click on CATALOG at the top
punch in your vehicle specs
the motor is located under:
Electrical>>Body Electrical>>Mirrors>>Mirror Motor

looks like it's $28 + shipping on their website. be sure to verify this works on your truck when you check out by supplying your VIN or clicking the "?" next to "Add to Cart" and sending them a message with your VIN in the message

note: it looks like they list 2 different right mirror motors, but if you add both to cart, there isn't two separate part numbers, its just one part number with 2 in the quantity box

Edited by 2010TexasEdition, 01 September 2011 - 03:52 PM.

Formerly Known as 2010TexasEdition

#7 louie730

louie730

Enthusiast

• 100 posts
  • Drives:2009 Silverado LTZ 6.2

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

go to gmpartsdirect.com
click on CATALOG at the top
punch in your vehicle specs
the motor is located under:
Electrical>>Body Electrical>>Mirrors>>Mirror Motor

looks like it's $28 + shipping on their website. be sure to verify this works on your truck when you check out by supplying your VIN or clicking the "?" next to "Add to Cart" and sending them a message with your VIN in the message

note: it looks like they list 2 different right mirror motors, but if you add both to cart, there isn't two separate part numbers, its just one part number with 2 in the quantity box

There are two different motors in the mirror housing. One to adjust the mirror glass and one to fold the mirror. They are two completely different motors. They both can be replaced but I don't know if the folding motor is available from the dealer.

#8 1badc5

1badc5

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Thanks. That's good to know about there being two different motors. I'll take it apart and see if maybe they have the part numbers on them.

#9 bow07

bow07

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found the part number for the motor itself? I haven't had time to take mine apart yet.

#10 1badc5

1badc5

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I followed the steps above and looked it up on the GMgmpartsdirect.comparts . It looks like it is only the motor that moves the mirror itself, not a motor to fold the mirror. I sent them a email but got no response so I am not 100% sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users