Power Folding Mirror Stopped Working

I have a 2008 LTZ with power folding mirrors. The drivers side stop working (will not fold). Do I have to replace the entire mirror or can the motor be replaced.

Is there a DYI on the forum that shows how to do this? Thanks

I took the mirror apart on my wife's Tahoe, for the same issue, and it looked like you could probably swap it out, but I was told by the stealership that you can't replace just the motor. She broke the damn glass in it too, so I just bought a whole new mirror.

Hey guys,

I was under the impression that you COULD indeed just replace the motor, so I suspect that the stealership was most likely just trying to extort you good sir :rolleyes: Side view mirror replacements are about $330-400 from the stealership and $230-300 at even OEM parts sites like gmpartsgiant.com so let's hope that you don't have to end up replacing the entire assembly.

Anywhoo, here is the procedure for replacing the side view mirrors on the LTZ:

1) Push the bottom of the mirror at the point furthest from the door while grabbing the upper inboard point of the mirror.

2) Pull the mirror glass with light pressure until it comes loose.

3) Detach the electrical connector (if equipped) and remove the mirror.

22116_sier_g0095.gif

22116_sier_g0096.gif

4) Remove the screws securing the mirror motor. Detach the electrical connector and remove it from the vehicle.

5) Installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the mirror glass, apply light pressure while pushing downward and inward until it locks in place.

go to gmpartsdirect.com

click on CATALOG at the top

punch in your vehicle specs

the motor is located under:

Electrical>>Body Electrical>>Mirrors>>Mirror Motor

looks like it's $28 + shipping on their website. be sure to verify this works on your truck when you check out by supplying your VIN or clicking the "?" next to "Add to Cart" and sending them a message with your VIN in the message

note: it looks like they list 2 different right mirror motors, but if you add both to cart, there isn't two separate part numbers, its just one part number with 2 in the quantity box

go to gmpartsdirect.com

click on CATALOG at the top

punch in your vehicle specs

the motor is located under:

Electrical>>Body Electrical>>Mirrors>>Mirror Motor

looks like it's $28 + shipping on their website. be sure to verify this works on your truck when you check out by supplying your VIN or clicking the "?" next to "Add to Cart" and sending them a message with your VIN in the message

note: it looks like they list 2 different right mirror motors, but if you add both to cart, there isn't two separate part numbers, its just one part number with 2 in the quantity box

There are two different motors in the mirror housing. One to adjust the mirror glass and one to fold the mirror. They are two completely different motors. They both can be replaced but I don't know if the folding motor is available from the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the steps above and looked it up on the GMgmpartsdirect.comparts . It looks like it is only the motor that moves the mirror itself, not a motor to fold the mirror. I sent them a email but got no response so I am not 100% sure.

• 5 years later...

You can find the folding motor and gear at gruvenparts.com. They have manufactured a brass gear and a better motor that you can get two sets of for less than $100. They all have a pretty good instruction document to follow. You will have to epoxy the new gear to

the spiral gear shaft so basically it will put you down for a day while the epoxy sets as they say do not use the fast setting type, just the 24 hr cure type. This is the only place I know to find these parts. After seeing the cheesy 30 cent plastic gear there was no way I would have considered a junkyard replacement. You should replace the gear and motor as there are some grounding issues that could arise. They cover all that info on the gruvenparts.com website.

I should add that my biggest screw-up was not ordering the two sets and saving about $30, I am going to order the 2nd set today

You can find the folding motor and gear at gruvenparts.com. They have manufactured a brass gear and a better motor that you can get two sets of for less than $100. They all have a pretty good instruction document to follow. You will have to epoxy the new gear to

the spiral gear shaft so basically it will put you down for a day while the epoxy sets as they say do not use the fast setting type, just the 24 hr cure type. This is the only place I know to find these parts. After seeing the cheesy 30 cent plastic gear there was no way I would have considered a junkyard replacement. You should replace the gear and motor as there are some grounding issues that could arise. They cover all that info on the gruvenparts.com website.

I should add that my biggest screw-up was not ordering the two sets and saving about $30, I am going to order the 2nd set today

Holy 6 year old post resurrection, Batman

Thought I was being helpful, must have been wasting my time..DILLIGAF

Just thought it was funny that you resurrected a 6 year old thread when this was just covered last month...http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/202297-my-pwr-folding-mirrors-went-snap/

Even had a link to the same site you mentioned in your post

IDCIYGAFON

Archived