2011 Duramax Problems

pm26

Other than early issues with the DEF tank freezing in the wintertime the reviews on the 2011s have been quite favorable over on duramaxforum.com by owners. The fuel economy has actually increased some over the LMMs. Most folks have not run into any issues with the DPF either, it doesn't waste a ton of fuel and very few problems with it reported. Some people will do a DPF delete and get an increase by 1-2 MPG highway, however I would not suggest doing this until the truck is out of warranty and certainly don't do it if you live in an area that does smog tests since they will fail the vehicle for missing emissions control device. Also, the truck does not use urea as quickly as some think it does, and if you purchase the stuff at the right place, it is quite cheap.

I've got a crewcab shortbed 2500 HD Silverado with the LML. I've got a heavy foot and in town I get between 13 and 14 mpg and on the highway it's a mixed bag. I've gotten up to 22 mpg on flat ground doing about 75 mph, 19 mpg doing between 75 and 85 mph, and also 14 doing 75 to 85 mph, but I was pushing a headwind most of the way.

I haven't done any towing in my truck per se, but the short distance I pulled my boat (about 5000 lbs) I got around 13 mph going about 70 mph, but there were hills and grades up and down.

I've only got 15,000 miles on my truck, but they say the more miles you have on diesel, the better the mileage will get.

With DEF there is no excess fuel burned during regen. Only what it takes to move the truck down the road.

Mark

DEF has nothing to do with regen. DEF is for lower emisions. Regen does use fuel.

Walt

Ok. I guess I misunderstood the DEF. I thought it was injected and burned in place of fuel. It didn't register to me that it being 2/3 water, it wasn't going to burn.

Mark

Thanks. What kind of mileage would a 4x4 Duaramax crew cab dually get empty and pulling an 8k lb trailer?

Only had my LML Dually for a couple months, but so far I would say 14-16 in town and the highest was 21 highway/city mixed. Wife pulled my duaghters Hyundai home on a trailer from about 300 miles away and got about 15 - 16 mpg according to her; but i think my son was driving so I am sure it was well above the speed limit, lol.

I also hear the MPG's increase after you get some miles on the motor, i have under 2k so far so probably not very accurate yet.

With DEF there is no excess fuel burned during regen. Only what it takes to move the truck down the road.

Mark

DEF has nothing to do with regen. DEF is for lower emisions. Regen does use fuel.

Walt

Ok. I guess I misunderstood the DEF. I thought it was injected and burned in place of fuel. It didn't register to me that it being 2/3 water, it wasn't going to burn.

Mark

http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=2286

I'm sure it works the same on these trucks as it does on commercial vehicles , DEF is injected to control emissions and when a regen is needed it's done with diesel fuel to burn off the build up in your particulate canister! Don't park over dry grass or anything flammable! LOL I don't know about these trucks but on big trucks a regen can take place going down the rode and you would never know it! My 09 Frieghtliner has 200,000 miles it and I have never had to do a manual regen! Our fleet service manager said when this DEF process gets fine tuned the air going into a diesel engine will be dirtier than the exhaust coming out! All truck stops sell DEF now BTW!

Archived