2011 Sierra Amp/subs Install

I took the MTX thunder amp and JL 10" subs out of my 04 Sierra and put them into my 2011 this weekend. I decided to run the factory radio to keep my steering wheel controls. I wired the amp remote in so that it will turn on/off with the radio. The subs were wired into the rear speakers. Everything works fine with the subs and amp now but my USB port stopped working. On my truck it is located under the radio and looks like a 12V accessory outlet. When I plug my iPOD in I get nothing, same thing with iPHONE. The only thing I can say is when I had the dash trim off, the harness came unplugged from the USB port that comes through the dash, so I plugged it back in. I made sure the harness was firmly plugged into the back of the radio also. I'm not sure if somehow the connection got damaged, I blew a fuse or the wiring of the amp and subs had an impact on the USB function. Thoughts anyone?

Single most important piece of information you forgot........

Where is the amp remote circuit wired to?

It is wired to a harness located in the fuse panel on the driver's side. In the pic the remote wire is the thick blue wire. It is wired to the light blue wire with white stripe. This was the only one I could find that would shut the amp off with the radio. Could this affect the USB?

post-48969-1315340235_thumb.jpg

I'm in the process of installing two 10" subs and an amp and what I have been told that there are a couple of places to put the power wire to the amp and they are behind the radio connected to a white wire which I couldn't find and on the driver side dealing with the ignition and you can connect to the pink or brown wire from there. But I'm still trying to figure it out myself

It is wired to a harness located in the fuse panel on the driver's side. In the pic the remote wire is the thick blue wire. It is wired to the light blue wire with white stripe. This was the only one I could find that would shut the amp off with the radio. Could this affect the USB?

That wire, that you're tapped into, is for the Left Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage to a DL3 outside mirror. I wouldn't wire it in there. I also, wouldn't use the 1985 theory that just because a test light will light with the key on and not light with the key off, that it is o.k. to tie into that circuit for an ignition source voltage. You are literally just a few wires away, there, from creating a serious disaster for yourself and your pocket book.

No offense but you might want to take it to a reputable car audio shop and get that wire in the correct spot. Most guys that I know are getting it from the lower I/P junction block. Matter of fact, a search or two around here, would probably net you the results you are looking for.

the USB connector is only a connector, there is a Module behind the dash connected between the VCIM and the Radio.. I would double check that you have all the connectors on the back of the radio seated correctly, I suspect your USB isn't connected, and thus has no power to the port. Either that or you blew the fuse to the USB module.

you can verify that by seeing if your ipod device is receiving a charge (even with no sound), no charge = no power

Incorrect, the usb jack on an '11 Silverado, and every other 900 series truck/utility that I have seen with the factory usb connector such as this (USR RPO Code), is directly connected to the radio i.e., there is no interface module.

Incorrect, the usb jack on an '11 Silverado, and every other 900 series truck/utility that I have seen with the factory usb connector such as this (USR RPO Code), is directly connected to the radio i.e., there is no interface module.

really, that's interesting because I just had mine replaced, work order says USB Module Failure, Replaced..

My USB comes directly from the back of the radio via a mini B connector. It easy to come out while moving the radio around.

really, that's interesting because I just had mine replaced, work order says USB Module Failure, Replaced..

Is this the same dealer that supposedly replaced your Onstar module but never did until a certain someone from here got involved and after that, the system worked correctly? Trust me, it doesn't have a usb "module" unless you never had the factory usb port (USR rpo). There is a GM accessory Personal Audio Link kit (or PAL) that is an add on for iPods and such but the original conversation about about the factory usb port, not a PAL kit.

Is this the same dealer that supposedly replaced your Onstar module but never did until a certain someone from here got involved and after that, the system worked correctly? Trust me, it doesn't have a usb "module" unless you never had the factory usb port (USR rpo). There is a GM accessory Personal Audio Link kit (or PAL) that is an add on for iPods and such but the original conversation about about the factory usb port, not a PAL kit.

Since its directly connected to the radio, is it possible a fuse could have blown that would stop it from working or is the connection the only thing I should be focusing on. Both connections are solid.

• 5 weeks later...

so I guess the Avalanche (other suvs and the denali's) have a usb extension under the cup holder, while yes it the USB is direct to the radio, under my console is a male to female connection that goes into the console box.

this is apparently the part that was replaced, the part in the cosole box to the connector under the cup holder.

as for the record yes this is the dealer that replaced my onstar module, which was actually replaced, but it was not programmed correctly and a GTAC rep that is a member here corrected the issue.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2011 Sierra Denali HD & there is no mini USB port on the back of the radio itself, however there is a mini USB cable coming out of the wiring harness. It is painfully obvious that whoever owned the truck before me had a system in it & they butchered my wiring system, so it appears to be the factory radio. The backup camera and everything else works but no USB & nowhere to plug one in. Any suggestions?

Archived