Leaking Sunroof

So there are a few threads about this (09 Sierra crew cab) but everyone mentions the drain tubes being clogged. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE B/W THE SUNROOF SEAL LEAKING AND THE DRAIN TUBES BEING CLOGGED!!!!

My sunroof leaks like crazy, but my drain tubes are fine so the water comes in and flows out the tubes, never getting on the headliner or in the cab. HOWEVER, I feel there is FAR too much water coming in. It would never have been noticed had I not pulled the headliner cover back one day out of curiosity and saw how much was coming in, I figured there would be a drip or two but not a steady stream! This can't be correct, I mean think about it, god forbid a tube gets clogged and it rains overnight, my whole truck will flood out!

Before I take it in does anyone know particularly how much water is acceptable?

For those of you that think it's fine, you probably have some coming in but it goes out the tubes so you never noticed it, might want to check it

Lastly, does anyone know how to make adjustments to the sunroof? I may play with it before I take it in to the dealer

So there are a few threads about this (09 Sierra crew cab) but everyone mentions the drain tubes being clogged. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE B/W THE SUNROOF SEAL LEAKING AND THE DRAIN TUBES BEING CLOGGED!!!!

My sunroof leaks like crazy, but my drain tubes are fine so the water comes in and flows out the tubes, never getting on the headliner or in the cab. HOWEVER, I feel there is FAR too much water coming in. It would never have been noticed had I not pulled the headliner cover back one day out of curiosity and saw how much was coming in, I figured there would be a drip or two but not a steady stream! This can't be correct, I mean think about it, god forbid a tube gets clogged and it rains overnight, my whole truck will flood out!

Before I take it in does anyone know particularly how much water is acceptable?

For those of you that think it's fine, you probably have some coming in but it goes out the tubes so you never noticed it, might want to check it

Lastly, does anyone know how to make adjustments to the sunroof? I may play with it before I take it in to the dealer

No water is acceptable. If water is getting by the seal, then it is broken. You still under bumper to bumper warranty?

There is a TSB on this, its a known issue with some of the original sunroof seals. The replacement part corrects this problem (at least it did on mine). The seal is designed to let a LITTLE water through, onto the 'gutters' and then out the drain tubes. What was happening on mine is the seal was letting too much water through than the drain tubes could handle, and it would overflow the gutters, leaking onto the headliner, causing wet spots on my drivers side A and B pillars (the low points where the water would run to).

Mine was OUT of warranty when this happened, they said it would be about $200 for parts and labour. I ended up buying the new seal from them for about $50-$60, and installing it myself. (I dont have the TSB # or part # as I'm at work, but I can post it later.)

Note on install.. its a BITCH getting the seal onto the glass edge (removing the sunroof and then removing the old seal is a piece of cake). A GM tech gave me a can of silicon grease to help with the installation of the seal which worked wonders.

There is a TSB on this, its a known issue with some of the original sunroof seals. The replacement part corrects this problem (at least it did on mine). The seal is designed to let a LITTLE water through, onto the 'gutters' and then out the drain tubes. What was happening on mine is the seal was letting too much water through than the drain tubes could handle, and it would overflow the gutters, leaking onto the headliner, causing wet spots on my drivers side A and B pillars (the low points where the water would run to).

Mine was OUT of warranty when this happened, they said it would be about $200 for parts and labour. I ended up buying the new seal from them for about $50-$60, and installing it myself. (I dont have the TSB # or part # as I'm at work, but I can post it later.)

Note on install.. its a BITCH getting the seal onto the glass edge (removing the sunroof and then removing the old seal is a piece of cake). A GM tech gave me a can of silicon grease to help with the installation of the seal which worked wonders.

Awesome info dude, I am out of warranty (Don't think my newly purchased GMPP covers it) so I will probably try to do it myself. Do you happen to have the TSB? I know some guys at a dealership, miht be able to get them to do it if I can show them a TSB...

Thanks again

FOUND IT! If you give me your email, I'll send the PDF file so you can print it. And now that I look at it, it lists only 2007-2008 models.... anyway, it might still be the solution.

--

Document ID: 2100299 #08-08-67-006: Headliner Wet, Water Leak into Cab, Water Leak Past Sunroof Glass Weatherstrip/Seal (Inspect Sunroof Weatherstrip/Seal and Replace, If Necessary) - (Apr 15, 2008)

Subject: Headliner Wet, Water Leak into Cab, Water Leak Past Sunroof Glass Weatherstrip/Seal (Inspect Sunroof Weatherstrip/Seal and Replace if Necessary)

Models: 2007-2008 GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Models with Sunroof (RPO CF5)

Condition

Some customers may comment on the headliner being wet or water leaking into the cab.

Cause

The sunroof glass weatherstrip/seal may not be completely water tight. The weatherstrip/seal may not be properly secured to the glass panel.

Correction

Important: DO NOT replace the sunroof glass panel. Technicians are to inspect the glass panel seal appearance at the corners and around the glass panel. If the weatherstrip/seal looks depressed or concave in the middle, replace the seal.

Part Number: 15912903

Description: Seal (Weatherstrip), Sunroof Window

Qty: 1

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use Labor Operation: C1440

Description: Sunroof Window Weatherstrip Replacement

Labor Time: Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these

technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service

of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job

properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your

vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the

information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION © 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thanks for that TSB post.

If you press on the front of the sunroof glass (either from the top of from the inside), does it move really easy, or bind against the sunroof frame?

Mine moves with almost no effort, and I get some drips inside after doing a touchless car wash. Doesn't seem to leak in the rain (yet!)

I dont remember if mine "moved" or had a gap, but the re and re with the new seal fixed it. 'Apparently' the part number in the TSB is a different one than what came from the factory, which tells me they recognized the problem. (Actually if you go buy a seal from the dealer, its the only one they stock now)

I had the whole roof liner dropped trying to find the problem, tested the drain tubes (fine) resealed where the plastic "funnels" (The part that connects the gutter rail to the drain tube) And ultimately ran test with a garden hose and saw the gutters 'overflowing' quicker than the water could drain out the tubes. As it was, the seal was letting too much water through.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I fixed the sunroof myself a while ago, it's 4 screws to get it out, the seal is a PIA, took an hour to get it on but once you get the hang of it it's just tedious. Centering the glass wasn't that bad, you can just kind of feel it when you're installing it, I got it right the first time and everything is copacetic!

• 5 years later...

Archived