6.2 Ticking

Has anyone experienced a ticking noise with their 6.2's? Mine is intermitent, and only audible from the left front wheel well area. Any ideas?

My guess this is the infamous piston slap issue that GM never adequately addressed or developed a cure for. Depending on tolerance stackup between cylinder bores and piston diameters, some trucks are worse than others.

The only real fix here would be matching the pistons to cylinder bores manually, which is a slow process. This is done in some applications, for example for piston type high pressure pumps, such as diesel injection pumps, where the pistons must be really tight in the bores.

My 6.2L isn't making any noise yet.

Same here.

Does your truck sit outside? Was it colder than normal?

Mine is in the garage at night, it did get chilley here last night (into the 40's).

Mine rattles so bad some mornings that it will scare the death out of you, if you're not ready for it. Gotta love these garbage oil filters that we are forced to run under the 5/100 warranty. :)

What you mean "garbage oil filters"? Don't all AC Delco filters have an anti-drain valve to keep oil from draining from the heads when the engine is stopped and thus not cause the hydraulic lifter noise until they get pumped up full of oil?

What you mean "garbage oil filters"? Don't all AC Delco filters have an anti-drain valve to keep oil from draining from the heads when the engine is stopped and thus not cause the hydraulic lifter noise until they get pumped up full of oil?

Sure but have you ever visited bobtheoilguy.com and reviewed some of the filter testing there? I'm sure you have, haven't you? Again, yes you read right, GARBAGE AC-Delco oil filters.

my 6.2 lifters hammered with the oem filter and also the wix i have on there now - i dont think the filter is the culprit

Oh I agree, the oil filter isn't the ONLY issue.

Oh well, that's what 5/100 is for and until the "issue" has a real resolve, I'll continue to beat it.

Interestingly enough I have not heard any lifter or piston slap noise from my truck to date. And I use AC Delco oil filters and Castrol 5W30 conventional oil. Have they changed the lifter supplier or lifter design on GMT900s?

my 6.2 has a little over 10,000 miles on it now. the lifters will hammer in the morning for a couple of minutes and has always had some valve train noise but its not too bad - it also uses a little oil but nothing like my 5.3 did.

Same here, rattles for a few minutes while cold, but goes away. Mine doesn't use any oil though.

Mine rattles so bad some mornings that it will scare the death out of you, if you're not ready for it. Gotta love these garbage oil filters that we are forced to run under the 5/100 warranty. :)

Who forced you....... Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Did you get it in writing if you did the filters are free for the period of the warranty.

What the Magnuson-Moss Act, Does Not Allow.....

There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.

Jbo

Edit: its not just the filters, thou...... I have tried EVERY brand I could put my hands on, for a customer..... A-Z.... The engine never ceased knocking on a cold start up.

Sure but have you ever visited bobtheoilguy.com and reviewed some of the filter testing there? I'm sure you have, haven't you? Again, yes you read right, GARBAGE AC-Delco oil filters.

I have spent some time over at BITOG myself. While there's been some discussion of the AC Ecore applications being inferior, I personally have never seen AC with the metal center tubes referred to as GARBAGE.

Most of the BITOG'ers I've read describe our PF48 as a good reasonable filter. It's not in the same class as Mobil 1 or Bosch D+, but neither is it's price. Most of the worst filter problems I've read of involve the OCD (Orange Can of Death) Fram or STP. Both of these seem to be the most poorly constructed filters out there. The AC seems "comparable" to similar Purolator (Classic white) or Wix products; notice I didn't say equal to offend brand loyal filter people.

Here's a comparison of AC Wix and Purolator

Here's a picture of the basic construction of the AC PF48

27a34f71.jpg

Archived