1500 Vs 2500(gas) Towing Capacity

I own a 2009 silverado 1500 with the max trailering (nht) 6.0/6spd/3.73

My manual states i can tow a max of 10,600 with my combo.

I plan on buying a 24ft toy hauler that should weight around 5000 to 6000 dry, plus the toys,water,and camping equipment i should be around 8500-9000lbs.

Seeing that i'll be close to the capacity of my truck i've been looking into the 2500hd with the gas engine. I looked up the towing capacity and with the 3.73 gears it only has it around 10,000lbs. Which is even less than my 1500.

Is there something i'm not understanding? Is there any difference between the two trucks? Should i just keep my truck then even though I'm near its capacity?

I think someone may have entered those values in error. Your 1500 definitely cannot out tow a 2500. But if your looking at a 2500, you are better off with a Duramax Diesel. Another thing to think about is are they 4WD or 2WD? Also, your 1500 can handle the weight of the trailer fine, just look into buying a load leveling kit to use with the trailer. I recommend one that uses solid bars and offers a 4-point anti-sway. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali i use to toy my Toyhauler. It weights about 6K dry and 8,500LBS fully loaded. I've had this thing loaded to the max and it towed awesome! Hope this helps.

The Vmax with 4.10 can certainly tow 10,600 lbs. But I wouldn't put 10,600 behind it. You will however be just fine with the camper your looking at. I towed a camper thats dry weight was right at 5800 lbs without issue. Even a full bed of fire wood.

The 2500 will be more sure footed on the road with heavier weights but the Vmax is very capable. It has the L76 6.0 367hp 380tq with an HD trans and 9.5" rear end :)

What you are missing is about 700-1000 pounds of payload. Check your drivers door for Tire and Loading sticker. Probably says about 1800 pounds. A 3/4 ton will have 2500-3000 pounds. When you load up the truck with family and camping gear in the bed, that can easily be 1000 pounds of payload. Then a 8000 pound loaded RV will have about 1000 pounds of payload. That puts the half ton over GVWR, and the 3/4 ton not, at well under the "tow rating". RV towing rarely means a half ton can tow at its Tow raring and not be under the GVWR, or GAWR or both. 10K pounds boat? Probably. 10K RV? Doubt it. Boats are significantly easier to tow than a similar weight RV. Better aerodynamics and lighter tongue weight percentage.

The NHT Package is great! It really separates the half ton Silverado from the competition (except Ford's Max towing and HD payload packages). But you still need to calculate the numbers of your situation before committing to an RV.

Oh, you have the 6.2L, not 6.0L.

What you are missing is about 700-1000 pounds of payload. Check your drivers door for Tire and Loading sticker. Probably says about 1800 pounds. A 3/4 ton will have 2500-3000 pounds. When you load up the truck with family and camping gear in the bed, that can easily be 1000 pounds of payload. Then a 8000 pound loaded RV will have about 1000 pounds of payload. That puts the half ton over GVWR, and the 3/4 ton not, at well under the "tow rating". RV towing rarely means a half ton can tow at its Tow raring and not be under the GVWR, or GAWR or both. 10K pounds boat? Probably. 10K RV? Doubt it. Boats are significantly easier to tow than a similar weight RV. Better aerodynamics and lighter tongue weight percentage.

The NHT Package is great! It really separates the half ton Silverado from the competition (except Ford's Max towing and HD payload packages). But you still need to calculate the numbers of your situation before committing to an RV.

Oh, you have the 6.2L, not 6.0L.

Doubt it. I have the same truck just a Sierra and definately a 6.0

IMO The question is more one of terrain and distance. I towed for years 1200 miles each way with a 9k boat and while the 1500 Yukon did the job it was a hard tow. Short trips, no problem, 10 miles to the local ramp a couple times a year no big deal. 1200 miles to the keys, yep it did it without fail but it was work driving it. So to answer your question, where are you and where and how far will you tow?

• 4 months later...

I think someone may have entered those values in error. Your 1500 definitely cannot out tow a 2500. But if your looking at a 2500, you are better off with a Duramax Diesel. Another thing to think about is are they 4WD or 2WD? Also, your 1500 can handle the weight of the trailer fine, just look into buying a load leveling kit to use with the trailer. I recommend one that uses solid bars and offers a 4-point anti-sway. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali i use to toy my Toyhauler. It weights about 6K dry and 8,500LBS fully loaded. I've had this thing loaded to the max and it towed awesome! Hope this helps.

Those numbers are not an error. My 2500 with 3.73's is rated to tow 9,900lbs. You will however have a much better suspension, frame, brakes, etc. with a 2500

In my opinion car manufacturers under rate their gas powered 3/4 and 1 ton gas trucks so they can encourage people to buy diesels. They also rate their half tons absolutely as high as possible to try and look good vs. the competition. Make no mistake a 2500 HD Vortec with 3.73 gears will absolutely out tow a half ton that may be rated to tow more, and that same 3.73 equipped 2500 Vortec will handle the same 13,000 pound load that a 4.10 equipped truck will, it might just take a little longer to get up to speed.

FYI:

A 2012 2500HD 6.0 equipped with 4:10 gears is rated to tow up to a 13,000 pound trailer = same tow ratings as the Duramax version of the truck. For some reason the 3:73 geared HD's are tow rated at 9600 pounds. I think the new 1500's with the 6.2 max trailering package are rated to pull 11,700 pounds and come with 3:73's - go figure!

FYI:

A 2012 2500HD 6.0 equipped with 4:10 gears is rated to tow up to a 13,000 pound trailer = same tow ratings as the Duramax version of the truck. For some reason the 3:73 geared HD's are tow rated at 9600 pounds. I think the new 1500's with the 6.2 max trailering package are rated to pull 11,700 pounds and come with 3:73's - go figure!

Your post exactly demonstrates my point. There is no way that a half ton truck can out pull a similar displacement gas engine powered 3/4 ton. I really believe that they intentionally underrate the gas powered HD's to encourage people to buy the diesels. The frames, axles, brakes and suspensions are identical in the 3.73 and 4.10 geared Vortec equipped trucks. There is no way that a difference of only 4.10 vs. 3.73 gearing can result in a 3,400 pound difference in tow rating. I pulled 11,000 pounds with my 3.73 geared, Vortec powered 2011 2500 HD Crew Cab last week and it pulled it fine, with power to spare. I am quite pleased with the performance of my truck and will continue to pull such loads with complete and total confidence. In fact, although my 2010 F250 Powerstroke did have more power when pulling that much weight I would actually say that the Chevy felt more comfortable with that load. Unless you are towing all the time and at the tow limits, then any of the 2011 or newer HD trucks should have no problem pulling 13,000 pounds bumper pull. And if you're pulling that heavy, that often then you would probably have a diesel anyway. If I have to slow down a bit on big hills or can't accelerate like I'm in a car when pulling 13,000 pounds, it's okay with me for the amount that I would tow that heavy. If I have to I'll use the semi truck lanes going up big hills and take a little while longer to get where I'm going, I'm not in that much of a hurry when towing my tractor or something similar anyway. And as someone who pulled 9,000 pounds or more a number of times with a 1/2 ton Silverado that's now rated to tow over 11,000 pounds, I'll tell you that I felt a heck of a lot more comfortable towing 11,000 pounds with a 9,600 pound rated 2500HD, than I did pulling 9,000 pounds with a 11,000 pound rated 1500.

I believe that 3.73 vs 4.10 does make a big difference. Yeah, it's gonna still stop and ride the same, but the engine doesn't have to work near as hard.

But, obviously, you just can't do as much with a 1/2 as you can with an HD, regardless of gears.

Archived