Michigan Guys- Help Me Find A New Home!

MikeNH

I'm going to be relocating to Michigan to be a regional representative for my current employer and should be moving in early March. As a field service technician I travel almost every week and while I expect this move will allow me to not fly nearly as often as I do now, airport access is still important to me. So, anyone have towns/places I should look at within an hour of Detroit airport? Things like nightlife, artsy things or special restaurants aren't all that important to me, I just want someplace quiet to hang my hat when I'm not on the road. Rural/away from everything is fine though I doubt that exists within an hour of DTW.

Thoughts?

Does it have to be a hour from DTW or can you go from another airport like Flint (FNT) or Saginaw/Bay City/Midland (MBS)? You say regional representative, what is your primary area (SE MI, NE MI, SW MI, etc)?

RV- It needs to be Detroit. This move was my idea and part of the pitch was having access to a major (Delta in this case) airport hub. NH doesn't have a big airport (only one with commercial service!) so going most places is a multi-stop affair. My region will still officially be all of the US and Canada but with the focus on the upper midwest- MI, IL, IN, OH, Ontario, etc. Basically I'd follow the same guidelines we use at the head office in NH as well as what our guy in California does- if the customer is within 400 miles we'll generally drive and if it is beyond that we fly. We have a ton of customers in that part of the country so I expect most of my trips will be "local"/driving. The past 4 years we've had about 40 trips to the region each year and that's with customers paying the expensive airfare and other fees to get us out there. I expect this to pick up a lot as when we placed a guy in Cali our business there exploded as customers could more easily afford to have us come and do more minor repairs/maintenance that before wasn't cost-effective.

ChevyTech- I'm a field service tech for a company that makes lab equipment and the systems we make see use in everything from general chemistry at colleges to dozens of manufacturing applications.

ChevyTech- I'm a field service tech for a company that makes lab equipment and the systems we make see use in everything from general chemistry at colleges to dozens of manufacturing applications.

Very cool and again, the Howell/Brighton area is about an hour drive and to be honest, the area down near DTW, to the south and west a bit, is semi to full rural as well, depending on what kind of amenitie you're looking for. All be it that you probably won't find anything as rural within one hour of DTW as you probably can in NH but I'm sure there is something down in that area that would work for you.

Very cool and again, the Howell/Brighton area is about an hour drive and to be honest, the area down near DTW, to the south and west a bit, is semi to full rural as well, depending on what kind of amenitie you're looking for. All be it that you probably won't find anything as rural within one hour of DTW as you probably can in NH but I'm sure there is something down in that area that would work for you.

X2 Nice area and easy travel to DTW (96 to 275 and your there).

Well due to some issues arranging work permits my trip this week failed to happen so I was in Michigan with no work to do so I took a ride out to Jackson to visit an apt. complex there that I initially planned to use as a "fallback" in case I couldn't find a single rental property to stay at. Got a tour and really liked the place so it is very likely were I'll end up staying come March. Place is on the northern outskirts of Jackson and kind of off on it's own but is close to shopping and stuff. It'd be kickass to finally be able to have pizza delivered. :lol:

You do know being a hour away from the airport, during a snow storm the ride will be 3 hours. Have you looked at anything North of Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has all the things you mentioned.

I've looked at listings for AA and come away with most of the housing that isn't obviously geared toward students is more expensive than other areas. Also well aware of the issues snow storms cause, we have them here too. :cheers: I don't expect to fly anywhere near as often as I do now as the idea behind the move is to be able to get to customers in that region easier (driving) but for the times I do I don't want to be absurdly far from the airport.

My sister and her husband live in the Plymouth, Livonia area. They partner in a dental practice in Novi and are a dentist for the Detroit Red Wings, so they also have to be very close to Detroit. I come from a very small town community in northwest Indiana, so I favor non-cramped areas, and it IMO is a very nice place. You feel safe and most of the housing developments have a rural feel to them. Kids play with each other in the yards, ride bikes up and down the road, etc.

With that said my brother-in-law has taken me to several downtown bars in the area and it was a friggin blast. IMO the area is great for the mix of rural and city life. I believe the place is in Novi, but there is a lakefront restaurant/bar where the waitresses are in bikinis year round. I went there in the fall and they were, not sure if it is just one night a week though. :lol:

Dentist for a NHL team... damn I bet they stay busy! :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll be looking around and visiting as the move date gets closer.

• 3 weeks later...
My sister and her husband live in the Plymouth, Livonia area. They partner in a dental practice in Novi and are a dentist for the Detroit Red Wings, so they also have to be very close to Detroit. I come from a very small town community in northwest Indiana, so I favor non-cramped areas, and it IMO is a very nice place. You feel safe and most of the housing developments have a rural feel to them. Kids play with each other in the yards, ride bikes up and down the road, etc.

With that said my brother-in-law has taken me to several downtown bars in the area and it was a friggin blast. IMO the area is great for the mix of rural and city life. I believe the place is in Novi, but there is a lakefront restaurant/bar where the waitresses are in bikinis year round. I went there in the fall and they were, not sure if it is just one night a week though. :lol:

Ah you must be talking about Lakepointe Yacht Club. Great place! It is all year round BTW.

• 1 month later...

With that said my brother-in-law has taken me to several downtown bars in the area and it was a friggin blast. IMO the area is great for the mix of rural and city life. I believe the place is in Novi, but there is a lakefront restaurant/bar where the waitresses are in bikinis year round. I went there in the fall and they were, not sure if it is just one night a week though. :P

Ah you must be talking about Lakepointe Yacht Club. Great place! It is all year round BTW.

That's the one!!!! Such a cool place.

Archived