Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Jcol

My 2002 with the 6L developed a slight exhaust noise at startup. I had a look and discovered that one of the manifold bolts is missing it's head. It's the last bolt on the drivers side closest to the fire wall. The mechanic that I have used for years died suddenly last spring and I haven't found a replacement yet. Last week I was at my local GM dealership with my wife who was having here new Terrian serviced and I asked the service manager about my truck. He said that this was a common problem and that they would remove the manifold, get the broken bolt out and replace all the bolts with new ones. The price would be $300. I thought that was an OK price but I thought I would ask here. It does look like access to the bolts is pretty easy, but one broken bolt can ruin your day. There is also a new guy in my local shop who I am hearing good things about so I might take it to him if you guys think the dealer price is too high. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same thing last year, only I was missing the head of the bolts on both sides closest to the Firewall. When I removed the bolts that had the heads intact I was careful to spray the area with PB Blaster and let it sit prior to starting the job. I replaced my stock manifolds with Gibson Shortys, the stockers were warped about 3/16 of an inch when I put a straight edge across the flange, I know.....they were leaking pretty good. You may want to condsider this before you jump into the job. Good chance yours are warped too.

Im going through the same exact issue with my 05 sierra 8.1 same bolt same place..Its actaully a stud with the nut broken off, im also taking the manifold to my buddy,s machine shop to have him check it for being warped..Let me know how you make out if you get yours done before me.

Happened to me twice already. First time I got all new manifolds and the revised bolts that GM started using in late 04 to "correct the problem". Well 1 1/2 years later, same shit. Broke off bolt heads, and needed 2 new manifolds again. This time I told them to get stainless steal bolts instead of the GM manifold bolts. The stainless steal bolts have a higher threshold for heat, and will not rot either, so I believe this should prevent the bolt heads from breaking off.

Labor could get pricey if the boke bolts are a bitch to get out, so it all depends on how stuck they are and the mechanics experience of getting the broke off bolts out. But make sure you tell them you want stainless steal bolts instead of the regualr manifold bolts. Cause it will happen again with their bolts. That engine gets too hot for the regular steal bolts, and with the heat and cooling that occurs that doesn't help either.

Thanks for the replies. I does sound like others have been through this before but no one has offered an opinion on the dealer price of $300. I'm thinking I will go that route since the dealer indicated that is what it will cost, not an estimate. I like the idea of knowing the price first.

Got one on each side closest to the firewall also broken on mine. I have a slight exhaust leak on start-up, but it goes away after a few minutes of the truck running. Not gonna worry about it now unless the leak gets worse.

$300 sounds great but my mechanic said 90% of the time the manifold is warped and it's a biotch to get back on. I currently have the same leak and will be putting on some shorty headers when i get it fixed.

Archived