4.10 Gear Ratio

pm26

How many have the 4.10 gear ratio on their 6.0 liter gas engine 6 speed truck ('07 NBS and newer) and how is the gas mileage with that gearing? It has about 10% more torque advantage in any gear over the 3.73 ratio.

I had them in my 07 Vmax (6.0L L76 with the 4L70e 4-speed trans) My mileage was a solid 13-14 intown and 18-19highway if I kept the highway speed under 70mph.

Edit: Now you edited your original post and change the truck. :thumbs:

The only way you can get 4.10 gears in the 6-speed is in the 2500's And I have no idea what the mileage is but Its not going to be as good. I'd bet your gonna see high 16-17mpg at most with that combo.

10% difference in engine speed will be at most 0.5MPG lower on the highway. City should be even closer as well as towing. Get the 4.10 for the extra 3500 pounds of tow rating.

10% difference in engine speed will be at most 0.5MPG lower on the highway. City should be even closer as well as towing. Get the 4.10 for the extra 3500 pounds of tow rating.

I think that 4.10 ratio makes sense in a heavy duty pickup. My experience with shorter gearing on many vehicles has been the same: decent mileage around town, and slight penalty on the highway, but better response to throttle in top gear at high speed.

Desrat, it is a percentage.

4.10 / 3.73 = 1.099.

10%

So with a 3.73 truck at 1000rpm, the same gear and vehicle speed the truck will be at 1100rpm. Your 250 RPM difference comes at 2500rpm for the 3.73 truck, 2750 for the 4.10.

I wish dealers would know the tow-rating difference between 3.73 and 4.10s. It is a $100 option when you order your truck. In my area, they had zero 2500HD's with the 4.10s. Everyone assumed the 3.73s would get you slightly better gas mileage at a slightly lower tow rating, myself included. So stock up on 3.7s and let the heavy towers spend the $$ for a duramax. I guess that was the mindset.

Since my Tahoe's AC blew up ($2k repair), and my wife needed AC, I didn't have a chance to order my own truck, so I went with a nice 2500 GMC.

I was pretty ticked when I opened the manual to see a 9600 tow rating compared to the 14,600 you get with the 4.10s (almost 40% increase, not the around 10% difference the dealer and myself expected).

Lesson learned, see your tow ratings in print before purchasing. Oh well.

A 40% increase in tow ratings at the expence of 15 to 14.5 mpg highway is a now brainer in my book. I think if you kept your foot out of it and drove more on the highway, I think the mpg difference would even be less, thanks to the 6spd's dual overdrive.

I'm a firm believer in getting more truck than I'll ever need. :cheers: If you can keep the truck speed 65mph or below, they are capable of good mileage. I found with the trucks I've owned, when above 65mph the mileage really starts dropping fast. My 07 Vmax with 4.10 gears got 19mpg on a trip from Pa to South Carolina. I drove mostly around 65mph. I don't see the 6.2L with 3.73 gears doing much better than 17mpg but I've not taken it on a trip yet. I'd sooner have to much gear than not enough.

How can you guys drive at 65 MPH when the speed limit on most interstates is 70 to 75 MPH? Here in Florida, you will get run over by 18 wheelers if you drive only at 65 MPH. I typically drive my truck around 75 MPH on interstates, which is good for about 17.5 MPG overage. In town it drops to about 15.

If you tow something 1.5x as long, at least as heavy as your truck, and the aerodynamics of a brick, you learn to slow down. 75mph burns about 30% more fuel than 65mph. Think 6mpg instead of 8.

Unloaded, about 8-10mph over the speed limit in MI.

How can you guys drive at 65 MPH when he speed limit on most interstates is 70 to 75 MPH? Here in Florida, you will get run you over by 18 wheelers if you drive only at 65 MPH. I typically drive my truck around 75 MPH on interstates, which is good for about 17.5 MPG overage. In town it drops to about 15.

Well if the speed limit is that, then you don't have much choice but all of PA, the speed limits are 65mph or less. When I traveled to S. Carolina, I drove no faster than the speed limit the entire way and got the 19mpg :thumbs:

Don't get run over... that would just be bad :lol:

Well if the speed limit is that, then you don't have much choice but all of PA, the speed limits are 65mph or less. When I traveled to S. Carolina, I drove no faster than the speed limit the entire way and got the 19mpg :thumbs:

Don't get run over... that would just be bad :lol:

The most aggressive 18 wheeler drivers I have seen were in New Mexico. In 2005 I had a rental Chevy Impala and I could not keep up with this truck. It was a huge truck pulling only an empty flatbed trailer. I tried to keep up with him, but at 110 MPH (indicated), my rental car speed limiter kicked in. The truck passed me going down a hill at this point, doing over 100 MPH real speed! I wonder what engine he had in that truck.

I have the 4.10s in my 2007 NBS with the 6.0. The gas mileage in town unloaded is right at 12. Since I havent did a full-on highway drive I don't know, but I'm going to guess 15-16mpg. No kidding on this, but I had a Jeep Wrangler 2007 4x4 4DR with a manual transmission right before I bought the 2500HD, but the best I could do on the gas mileage was 14. So yea 12 sounds bad, but its a big truck, big engine, big everything.

Archived