Hours On Engine Question

My 09 has 43,000 miles on it and it says I have only put 85 hours on the engine. I thought that number was low compared to how many miles I had on the truck but your engine hours seem high for only 28,000 on it IMO.

Wow, that means your average speed is over 500mph!

Hello, I was a little curious on how to use the engine hour meter or what it's purpose is. My truck in a 2002 and the hour meter displays 1260.6 hrs. The truck just turned 28,000miles and I was wondering how to compare hours to mileage. It seems that 1260hrs is a lot for such low mileage.

Thanks!

Hour meters are typically used more on diesels, where the engine idles more without accumulating mileage. Take a tractor for example. Racks up the hours, but hardly any miles.

If you do a lot of stop/go/idling, then you can rack up the hours, without gaining the miles. If you do mostly highway driving, you'll have low hours/high mileage.

Hello, I was a little curious on how to use the engine hour meter or what it's purpose is. My truck in a 2002 and the hour meter displays 1260.6 hrs. The truck just turned 28,000miles and I was wondering how to compare hours to mileage. It seems that 1260hrs is a lot for such low mileage.

Thanks!

Hour meters are typically used more on diesels, where the engine idles more without accumulating mileage. Take a tractor for example. Racks up the hours, but hardly any miles.

If you do a lot of stop/go/idling, then you can rack up the hours, without gaining the miles. If you do mostly highway driving, you'll have low hours/high mileage.

I will ditto this. Hours are accumulated on tractors VERY FAST.........

Jbo

I like the hour meter, since it gives the total run time on the engine. Helps a lot on maintenance, if a fleet/company or personal idles there trucks a lot.

I drive mostly freeway an country roads. My truck sees little stop an go.

I have 20,262 miles an 508.4 hours. Give an average speed of 39.85mph.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived