F44 Question

I just bought a 1990 K1500 single cab chevy with the 350. I wrote all the RPO codes down and went inside to look them all up. Turns out this thing's got the F44 option, along with several other heavy duty options. Heavy duty suspension, brakes, radiator, oil and trans cooler, the whole nine yards.

Thing is, I have been researching this F44 option, and most places say that with that code it should have the 14 bolt, six lug rear end. Mine doesn't. Its got a ten bolt, five lug, 3.73 rear end.

What gives? Did the original owner alter the option package or something?

• 4 months later...

I wanted to bring this back up, mostly because it is bugging the crap out of me.

If I have the F44 code, does that definitely mean it should have a 14-bolt rear diff?

Because I have a 10-bolt six lug rear diff.

I think there was a code for the ratio, is there a way to find out the ratio when physically looking at differential?

• 5 years later...

If your chassis is F44 package, your rear axle should also be a 1 ton axle. 3.73 gears normally.

Mine is an 89' Sierra C1500 SLX with the F44 heavy duty frame package. I want to know if the front brake calipers and pads on your trucks are HD or regular duty? I had a hell of a time getting the correct brake pads and rotors, because of not knowing this. I'm not sure if all these trucks were supposed to have HD front ends, as well. But if theres a parts package to upgrade the front end, I'd love to do it.

Everything else on my truck is HD/high capacity/large components even though it has a puny 305 lol which is soon to be swapped for a rebuilt 350.

Hope this info helps and I hope you guys get back to me. PS- this is the BEST way to learn about these trucks, GM (archive) headquarters knows about as much as we all do HA!

I have a k1500 350 5.7 4l60e 3:73. 1997 ext cab 3rd door f44 seminfloat 4x4. I believe the front end is normal 1500 duty. I ordered a power stop drilled and slotted rotor front brake kit that came with new calipers pads and rotors. Everything fit just fine and it stops a lot better. Ordered powerstop kit from summit or rock auto. Only issue I had was buying rear shoes since the f44 takes the wider brake shoes (Napa had to order) vs the narrower shoes for 10 bolt. 

All 1/2 tons (1500) come with 6-bolt wheels, no exceptions. 

From what I can see, both the standard and F44 come with the same rear axle.  F44 is a suspension option.

Try this, GM production spec's 1990 Chevrolet Truck

Edited by elcamino

I've only seen the ext.cab 1500 4x4 come with the semi- floating 14 bolt axle. ( In a half ton) and it's a 6 lug. I don't think I've ever seen a reg. cab come from the factory with a 14 bolt.. except the 454ss.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, michigan2500hd said:

I've only seen the ext.cab 1500 4x4 come with the semi- floating 14 bolt axle. ( In a half ton) and it's a 6 lug. I don't think I've ever seen a reg. cab come from the factory with a 14 bolt.. except the 454ss.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

these trucks could be anything.

the factory manual trans v8 is badly missing the F44...especially after 96. the 60+ hp.  no matter the chassis.

my own has been done over at least 3 times, and then just oil alone finally burrowed a pin hole in the cap.

it sends it.

I'd like to find that rear end in a junk yard or wherever.

3 hours ago, elcamino said:

From what I can see, both the standard and F44 come with the same rear axle.  F44 is a suspension option.

Well now...all 2wd 1500 up until 1999 GMT-800 were 5 lug. 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 3:55 AM, elcamino said:

This is wrong. All 4x4 half tons came 6 lug and most all 2wd half tons came with 5 lug hubs. On top of that, any 4x4 F44 CHASSIS truck came with a 6 LUG 14 bolt rear. 

~Sent from my ‘92 sierra f44 4x4 with factory NV4500~