Have You Smoked A Hemi 5.7 Today?

mikewood31

Relax their ranger Dan, I do not street race nor show off I have no desire to waste my gas doing so

I just do not back down and let them try to cut me off when they want my lane and I don't buy into that Hemi torque crap because it is not measured where it counts ,at the rear wheels.not to mention its measured at 5400 rpm to start

don't know about you but I have never had to rev my truck up that hi to get it moving

and the gear ratio can make a big difference I know people that have owned older ones between gas stations

and repair shops they ran fine so don't get your panties in to big of a knot or you'll fall of your high horse!

oh I see you weren't racing, instead you were creating a road rage situation so you could preserve your claim to your section of the road and show everyone how manly you are..

yeah that's MUCH better..

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both sides to the OP story. I rage and I relax. I have found a way to fix the rage. I watch a stand up comedian on the touchscreen...my cruise gets set and I don't watch it but knowing that there is something funny and more attention drawing than the people on the road helps...me at least.

I have both sides to the OP story. I rage and I relax. I have found a way to fix the rage. I watch a stand up comedian on the touchscreen...my cruise gets set and I don't watch it but knowing that there is something funny and more attention drawing than the people on the road helps...me at least.

XM RawDog and Blue Collar Comedy stations FTW...

guys whats up with these things?

is this dodges attempt to make a 350 ?

are they geared really low or something?

because my 5.3 just leaves them in the dust at stop lites

and mines stock except for the K&N

and if thats the case my 92 sierra with the 5.7 would have really

smoked them right to the gas station

they even have factory dual exhaust on some of them

just don't seem to have much take off and I'm not punching it

too much but they always try to race me for some reason especially the new ones

if I feel like being a dic I just hit my trailer switch and listen to them trying to

pass me :thumbs:

Heres how I "smoked" a Hemi,,,my cousin bought his new at the same time i got my Silverado used,(around 40k miles)..he,s since blown 2 trannies,,,gobs of tires the engine @ 140k,which Dodge had no sympathy for. He,s on his 3rd truck since then...Me? I,m just plodding along in the ole chevy,,,a rear @ 140K but otherwise no major repairs,3rd full set of tires and no payment book. oh..and 240k miles..hmmm....who won??

I don't see how any stock chevy 5.3 beats a 5.7 hemi, but my 6.2 does, big time. I have raced several here around town and none of them come even close. They hang with me for about 5 seconds and then it's all over.

guys whats up with these things?

is this dodges attempt to make a 350 ?

are they geared really low or something?

because my 5.3 just leaves them in the dust at stop lites

and mines stock except for the K&N

and if thats the case my 92 sierra with the 5.7 would have really

smoked them right to the gas station

they even have factory dual exhaust on some of them

just don't seem to have much take off and I'm not punching it

too much but they always try to race me for some reason especially the new ones

if I feel like being a dic I just hit my trailer switch and listen to them trying to

pass me :thumbs:

Heres how I "smoked" a Hemi,,,my cousin bought his new at the same time i got my Silverado used,(around 40k miles)..he,s since blown 2 trannies,,,gobs of tires the engine @ 140k,which Dodge had no sympathy for. He,s on his 3rd truck since then...Me? I,m just plodding along in the ole chevy,,,a rear @ 140K but otherwise no major repairs,3rd full set of tires and no payment book. oh..and 240k miles..hmmm....who won??

I have simular thing, brother in law has a Ram 3500 with the cummins

we bought our trucks at the same time, engine is bulletproof on that truck

because he goes to cummins only for engine maintainence

too bad hes on his 3rd set of ball joints ,2nd steering box ,2nd set of hubs

and various others seals and parts that I have never replaced on any of my GM trucks

never mind my silvy, your right thats they way chevy will always win

Relax their ranger Dan, I do not street race nor show off I have no desire to waste my gas doing so

I just do not back down and let them try to cut me off when they want my lane and I don't buy into that Hemi torque crap because it is not measured where it counts ,at the rear wheels.not to mention its measured at 5400 rpm to start

don't know about you but I have never had to rev my truck up that hi to get it moving

and the gear ratio can make a big difference I know people that have owned older ones between gas stations

and repair shops they ran fine so don't get your panties in to big of a knot or you'll fall of your high horse!

LOL.....sounds like you have an ego problem that may cause you to seriously injur or kill somebody. Putting others in danger and potential to kill someone on the highway because it hurts your ego if somebody passes you. Gotta love some of these people. Not sure if you realise it or not but hammering on the throttle when someone attemps to pass you is wasting your gas.

These type of people are the ones we like to pull over on the highway and issue them citations for reckless driving, seeding, and failure to yield. What a moron!

I traded in a Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi for this new Chevy truck so I feel qualified to speak on this.

I'd say at 20-60mph this with the 6sp and 3.42's this new Chevy pulls harder. Top end, that Hemi would smoke this current truck. It had 3.92 gear ratio limited slip.

And that was the 2008 Hemi with 345 hp.

My neighbors truck is the new one with the 390 hp Hemi.

No way in hell are these trucks going to beat that. 0-60 or beyond. That truck is a beast.

I will say this 6 spd transmission does a really good job getting the power to the ground. I'm actually impressed. I can tell the difference on the top end....I would think headers, CAI, exhaust and tune would easily get these 5.3L motors up to speed and around 350 hp and in range with the current motors.

As the 5.3 sits stock, on the low end 0-60, with 3.42's, my truck will run pretty close to the older Hemis until you hit 60mph....then you 'd lose out.

The new hemi's will mop this truck all over the road. Doesn't mean this truck is not going to work.

I had a 1991 Chevy that had the old 350 and it was rated at 230 hp. My 2003 ford had 260hp in it's 5.4 and it was enough for what I did. The 2004 Ford had 310 HP and did not feel as good as this 5.3 does.

So the 5.3 with 315hp is more than enough. 350 would be better though.....390 may be too much.

Those Hemi's are really good motors. Dodge makes a crappy suspension and the ride isn't very good but they make a damn good motor.

LOL.....sounds like you have an ego problem that may cause you to seriously injur or kill somebody. Putting others in danger and potential to kill someone on the highway because it hurts your ego if somebody passes you. Gotta love some of these people. Not sure if you realise it or not but hammering on the throttle when someone attemps to pass you is wasting your gas.

These type of people are the ones we like to pull over on the highway and issue them citations for reckless driving, seeding, and failure to yield. What a moron!

I tend to see this type of agressive driving done by women when I am on my way home from work.

What ever poor decisions he has made the name calling doesn't make you any better.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a lot of angry replies, over something that should be ignored. OP, try to keep your cool on the road. Everyone else, keep your cool on the web eh?

ps my 4.8 couldn't hold a candle to a friends 06 hemi. specially since the torque limiting on the gm makes for teribble slow takeoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to see this type of agressive driving done by women when I am on my way home from work.

What ever poor decisions he has made the name calling doesn't make you any better.

Ok Dr. Phil, I am pretty sure NOBODY that made a comment on his post said they were "better" than him...... let me explain something to you..... the word "moron" describes him perfectly. These are the kind of acts that get innocent people killed on the highway. Not yielding to traffic and slamming the throttle to the floor because this guys ego won't allow him to be passed in traffic IS going to cause an accident and most likely cause someone serious bodily harm. I am positive if this happened to someone in your family you would agree, anyone who does this and then brags about it is a moron. People like this should not be allowed to drive. Don't know how many fatal accidents I responded to due to these ego maniacs, it's a shame.

Archived