Advent Ogm 1 Review

My review of the Advent OGM-1

I found this unit researching online as we all do. The moreI looked into it the more I found. 99%of what I saw was good. I also noticed that ADC Mobile was very active inposting how to videos on YouTube. I contacted the owner Walt (nice guy, greatbusinessman). H answered all my questions and gave me more info than I could ever ask for. Lucky for me I found outADC Mobile was down the road from me. Off I went cash in hand and ready for mynew unit. I picked it up and Walt hadalready installed a custom splash screen I had sent him. The whole ride home I was one eyeing Walts YouTubehow to install video.

Home at last I grabbed all the tools needed and a couplecold beverages. I started pulling everything apart it took about 5minutes toget everything out. And I mean everything. The worst part was popping out thefirst dash piece. You really do feel like you're going to break it and there isa relief when you here it pops. From there on out it`s no big deal. Now to put it all back together. You literally plug in the factory harness tothe OGM harness and reassemble it all the same way you took it apart. Suppereasy. Now the hard part is done. Ilooked down and realized it had been less than 30 min and I had only finishedone beverage. WOW is all I can say Ihave never installed a unit so easy. Now to fire it up and check all the coolfeatures.

The moment of truth! Turning the key and making sureeverything you did was right. Splash screen (boot up screen). Looks like I did it right! Now let`s move on to the mainscreen and get things set up. post-103321-1319689112_thumb.jpg

I select settings and start my customizing... (Man the 7"screen is awesome!)

Page one –

Auto GPS OFF- I do not want to see a map all the time thankyou. Might be handy when I am out of town but not on a daily basis.

GPS voice - ON I want to hear directions...

Rearview camera- On I haven't bought it yet but I want thereminder of how nice it would be.

Clock and dimmer are pretty self-explanatory.

Page two-

Turn on volume- I love this fact no matter what I left it onlast night on the way home. In the morning it is always at that nice soft I setit there level.

Back lighting - Auto of course. Just like the truck.

System time- Ok I had to set it which is kind of a bummersee below where it asks my time zone? Why ask if I need to set it. TheGPS should automatically be taking care of this for me!

Ok let`s get to the good stuff

Radio- Works as it should setting presets is easy just holdthe button. Want to search for others use the right hand knob.

XM Radio- synced right up without issues. Set your presetsjust like the radio. Or walk thru themusing the guide.

DVD player- popped ina DVD and it starts playing! Touch the screen and it gives you all the normal controls. The screen at 7" has a great picture. Crispand clear. Drop the truck into drive and it will stop sorry got to be a safedriver. Oh wait kids in the back with their own screens. Fire the movie off tothe back while you listen to xm or the radio.

Push play for the kids and your good. Then go back to themenu and select what you want. For me it's USB I plugged in a mini 32G cardthat is loaded with music.

How nice is it that it shows all the folders and there tags.It won't show the album art but I don't miss it either. Ok let's crank up thetunes. Mm need to adjust the audiosettings a little. This is what you see.

Alright audio is set. Time to Load the phone.

Supper easy. Put my phone in discovery mode hit the device buttonon the unit and 60 seconds later they were paired and it had synced my contactsand call log! Also note the A2DP in theupper left. Oh ya you can stream music from your Phone! Ok let's hit the road!

Like most nav systems you have this stupid drive safe screenthat comes up every single time. Not a big deal but seriously?

Alright it has my location correct and the maps look decent.If asked how the navi compares I tell everyone it is easy to use. Is it a tomtom or Garmin No. but it works without the bells and whistles. I think there could be a lot of improvement (adding traffic etc.) but ithas put me on target for every place I have plugged in.

Entering locations is easy it is predictive whichhelps. I love how customizable it is.You can go thru the settings and set what Poi's show up on the map. I deletedJails and grocery stores for example. One feature I will complain about andwill not use until it is fixed is the home and work buttons on the bottom. Youcan program them. To make it easy to get home or to work. Great feature BUT nopass code or lock out. So if someone car jacks you they can push one button andbeat you home to clean you out and use your car to haul it all away. Come on Advent. Really? That is my only gripe with nav.

I have been running the OGM unit for over 2 weeks now and Ihave to say overall I am very pleased with the unit and its performance. Theonly feature I haven't been able to use is the rearview cam. I am picky andhaven't found the one I want yet. For the price of this unit with all of itsfeatures which as you can see is a lot it is a great deal. I looked at Pioneer,Alpine, Kenwood, Etc. By the time I gotone of those units and all the adapters needed to make everything work I had tohave someone else install it. Add all that up and all the other units were alla few hundred more than the OGM-1. I installed it myself in under a half hourand everything worked out of the box. Steering wheel controls worked. OnStarworked. Door chimes Worked.

Now for my disclaimer this unit DOES work with IPod andIPhones. I did not mention it or review it because I don't use anything apple.I never have and never will.

post-103321-1319689112_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth I've never used a GPS (portable type) that auto set the clock, I've always had to go in and change it if needed. The sats themselves I'm pretty sure work of GMT/UTC/Zulu or whatever it's called these days so you need to correct it to the local time.

@LilJohn: Give me a call - called Advent & got the solution for your problem...

Do I detect that you think that Apple is becoming v2.0 of the Evil Empire? :- ) In a lot of ways, a lot of us car stereo guys are thinking EXACTLY the same thing...

Walt

www.adcmobile.com

• 2 weeks later...

Since I sell them both, I can answer that pretty easily.

The Advent is better, mainly from the addition of a nine band EQ rather than a bass-mid-high control on the Rosen.

Having said that, you can make the Advent sound pretty nasty if you overdrive the outputs with the EQ...

I just had an OGM1 installed in my 2011 Tahoe LT (with Bose) by a local car stereo shop in town and it seems like I'm having a few problems. Does anyone have issues with the turn signals being really loud? Is there anyway to adjust the volume of the turn signals and the various vehicle chimes?

I just had an OGM1 installed in my 2011 Tahoe LT (with Bose) by a local car stereo shop in town and it seems like I'm having a few problems. Does anyone have issues with the turn signals being really loud? Is there anyway to adjust the volume of the turn signals and the various vehicle chimes?

Guarantee your installer never switched it to Bose mode.

Go to the settings screen>Info>Press the "th" in Bluetooth>"Amp On">Turn off car for 30 seconds and turn it back on.

Turn signals will be as factory.

Can you stream audio via bluetooth?

What if you have bluetooth already in your truck?

I'd like the bluetooth to work via phone and audio.

It does both A2DP and Hands-Free. If you have factory Bluetooth, you can choose which Hand-Free you want to use.

Guarantee your installer never switched it to Bose mode.

Go to the settings screen>Info>Press the "th" in Bluetooth>"Amp On">Turn off car for 30 seconds and turn it back on.

Turn signals will be as factory.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!

So how much are these things and where do I find one in the Fort Worth Texas Area?

Don't know about Fort Worth, but we sell them, and they are generally an install it yourself type thing in well under an hour. PM me for pricing if you like...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Walt. I just installed a kicker amp and focal speakers in my non-Bose 2008 Silverado. Sounds great but the turn signals are also very loud in my system. Will the turning on the Bose work in my case?

Archived