Prestone Universal Antifreeze Vs Dexcool

00Silverado4x4

Question

I've searched through dozens of threads & just haven't found a difinitive answer. I have a bottle of Prestone Universal (mix will all makes/models/color...blah, blah, blah) that I got for my wife's Jeep. Problem is now I'm low on antifreeze in the "old" '06. I've read the label from top to bottom, no "DexCool" compatible specifically. Anyone use it long term for top offs? Problems or praises appreciated. I know the right answer but it would be great if I can save a couple of bucks to put towards other projects.

7 answers to this question

Thanks for all your help. I did indeed buy a bottle of Dex-Cool specific anti freeze & topped off. Only took maybe a cup but at least I'll have plenty extra for just in case. Just started a plan for Thanksgiving road trip so it all worked out in the end.

don't mix...dex cool is very good stuff long as its kept fresh and uncontaminated...most auto makers use shit on the same level as dex cool just different names and colors....i've heard nothing but bad things when people mix cheap anti-freeze with dex cool...

also dex isen't expensive, i think prestone makes a GM certified dex cool for like 20 bucks a gallon...my theory is if you can't afford quality things for your truck then you can't afford the truck(not pointed at anybody just a theory of mine)

So what is this Prestone universal actually compatible with? I assume since it's greenish it must work with old school antifreeze.

If you read the instructions, you'll see that the label is misleading. You're supposed to completely drain, flush, and then refill with the Prestone.

They took it off the label, but at one point there used to be a special note that said something along the lines of "may be used to top off cooling system on a temporary basis only".

I have a bottle sitting in my garage for "emergencies".

Archived